This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

So Y didn't the Mets offer him a higher yearly salary? They could have offered a higher yearly sum over a shorter time...
    I expect they were willing to pay him $60M for four years but not for three years.

They has zero competition for the original offer which meant it was obviously too high. So glad he walked away.

Comment

• Diamondbacks sign Wilmer Flores:
      https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...er-flores.html
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

I expect they were willing to pay him $60M for four years but not for three years.

They has zero competition for the original offer which meant it was obviously too high. So glad he walked away.
        If the Mets sign another player, and make the playoffs --- we can make the argument that Grandal is the NY Mets MVP by not taking the offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

If the Mets sign another player, and make the playoffs --- we can make the argument that Grandal is the NY Mets MVP by not taking the offer.
          I'm hoping that when prices come down as the season approaches, they can make another decent move.

Out of nowhere they popped for an extra ten mill / year last week for Lowrie, not something they would have done in the past, so there has been some positive change in fiscal attitude and approach. They definitely made some progress, significantly more than we'd come to expect or hope for, but it wasn't realistic to think they could / would turn over the entire roster in one fell swoop with so many holes to fill.

They have to know they need middle relief although they don't seem to think they need as much hitting or backup starters as they do. I know you want Lagares and Frazier out of there in the worst way but like I've been saying, with $18M committed to them we are stuck for one more year with those two dead weights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

I'm hoping that when prices come down as the season approaches, they can make another decent move.

Out of nowhere they popped for an extra ten mill / year last week for Lowrie, not something they would have done in the past, so there has been some positive change in fiscal attitude and approach. They definitely made some progress, significantly more than we'd come to expect or hope for, but it wasn't realistic to think they could / would turn over the entire roster in one fell swoop with so many holes to fill.

They have to know they need middle relief although they don't seem to think they need as much hitting or backup starters as they do. I know you want Lagares and Frazier out of there in the worst way but like I've been saying, with $18M committed to them we are stuck for one more year with those two dead weights.
            I agree the Lowrie signing was a surprise and something that probably doesn't happen in past years.

I know we are stuck with both Frazier/Lagares, but my hope is they are stuck on the bench and not getting 500 AB's each. I believe as currently constructed Frazier's at bats are seriously cut into right now. If Alonso makes the team - Fraziers at bats will be further cut into.

Right now they need to make 3 more moves in my opinion.

1) A lefty pen guy - Sipp is still out there. Don't be surprised if Blevins is back though
            2) Pollock. Pollock is a right handed impact bat, a good CF'er, and makes Lagares nothing more than depth
            3) A 4 or a 5 starting pitcher

Numbers 1 & 2 are equally important in my opinion. Jeff is pulling all the strings so lets hope Jeff isn't done yet and lets his marionette make the moves.

Comment

I agree the Lowrie signing was a surprise and something that probably doesn't happen in past years.

I know we are stuck with both Frazier/Lagares, but my hope is they are stuck on the bench and not getting 500 AB's each. I believe as currently constructed Frazier's at bats are seriously cut into right now. If Alonso makes the team - Fraziers at bats will be further cut into.

Right now they need to make 3 more moves in my opinion.

1) A lefty pen guy - Sipp is still out there. Don't be surprised if Blevins is back though
              2) Pollock. Pollock is a right handed impact bat, a good CF'er, and makes Lagares nothing more than depth
              3) A 4 or a 5 starting pitcher

Numbers 1 & 2 are equally important in my opinion. Jeff is pulling all the strings so lets hope Jeff isn't done yet and lets his marionette make the moves.
              I thought having a press conference about the signing was an even bigger surprise. Lowrie is a versatile player, but he is unlikely to be an every day player the way this team is constructed.

Maybe they will have a press conference for Raji Davis next week. ;-)

As far as outfield depth, BVW has already stated that the outfield consists of Nimmo, Conforto, Lagares and McNeil, with an expected return from Cespedes, so there you go. Never mind the fact that the kind of injury Lagares suffered causes permanent damage when it comes to mobility or that Tulowitski will be the first player to ever attempt a comeback from the kind of surgery Cespedes had.

I do think they will make one more signing before spring training, but will be very surprised if that signing is any kind of impact position player. We're more likely to see another catcher signing and some minor bullpen pieces.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I thought having a press conference about the signing was an even bigger surprise. Lowrie is a versatile player, but he is unlikely to be an every day player the way this team is constructed.

As far as outfield depth, BVW has already stated that the outfield consists of Nimmo, Conforto, Lagares and McNeil, with an expected return from Cespedes, so there you go. Never mind the fact that the kind of injury Lagares suffered causes permanent damage when it comes to mobility or that Tulowitski will be the first player to ever attempt a comeback from the kind of surgery Cespedes had.

I do think they will make one more signing before spring training, but will be very surprised if that signing is any kind of impact position player. We're more likely to see another catcher signing and some minor bullpen pieces.
                VWBug can do some more trash talking which can get us Mets fans excited!!
                North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

You are surprised that they had a press conference for Lowrie? This is the same team that has a banner for playing game 163 in 2016.

If the price comes down on Pollock (which it already has) and they dont consider it --- then they are just being stupid....this is the Mets so stupid is a distinct possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

VWBug can do some more trash talking which can get us Mets fans excited!!
                    BVW talks when Jeff pulls the strings to move his lips.

Comment

• Mets invite Peter Alonso, Andres Gimenez, Anthony Kay, Patrick Mazeika, David Peterson, Colton Plaia, Ryder Ryan, Ali Sánchez, Corey Taylor, Tim Tebow, Josh Torres and Stephen Villines to Major League Spring Training.

https://twitter.com/michaelgbaron/st...14977390141448
                      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        Mets invite Peter Alonso, Andres Gimenez, Anthony Kay, Patrick Mazeika, David Peterson, Colton Plaia, Ryder Ryan, Ali Sánchez, Corey Taylor, Tim Tebow, Josh Torres and Stephen Villines to Major League Spring Training.

https://twitter.com/michaelgbaron/st...14977390141448
                        I don’t think Alonso is surprised he was invited to spring training.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I don’t think Alonso is surprised he was invited to spring training.
                          Tim Tebow was also invited. Maybe he will be the 4th infielder for the Mets this year. Just think of the bobblehead possibilities!
                          Last edited by jjpm74; 01-17-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Maybe Tim Tebow was also invoted. Maybe he will be the 4th infielder for the Mets this year. Just think of the bobblehead possibilities!
                            They need him in Syracuse though.

Comment

BVW talks when Jeff pulls the strings to move his lips.
                              HeHe...Same script..different voice .

Comment

Tim Tebow was also invited. Maybe he will be the 4th infielder for the Mets this year. Just think of the bobblehead possibilities!
                                A missed opportunity for the Wilpons bank account .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X