Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosario and Wheeler, as far as predictions go, this is their year to shine.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
      Rosario and Wheeler, as far as predictions go, this is their year to shine.
      This is also Rosario's make or break season. If he has a solid year both offensively and defensively, we have our shortstop for the next few years. If not, back to the drawing board.

Comment

• ^And Matz as well...we've been saying it for the past couple of years, but this is probably Put Up or Shut Up Time for a bunch of guys on the roster.
        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

This is also Rosario's make or break season. If he has a solid year both offensively and defensively, we have our shortstop for the next few years. If not, back to the drawing board.
          He is starting his age 23 season though. He’s too young to be a late bloomer. Possibly was rushed to the majors. Check out Correa, Arcia, Didi and Russell at 22. And their age 23 season. He’s right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
            ^And Matz as well...we've been saying it for the past couple of years, but this is probably Put Up or Shut Up Time for a bunch of guys on the roster.
            Funny, if the 20 second clock come about he may shine. I’m not sold on durability with him though.

Comment

He is starting his age 23 season though. He’s too young to be a late bloomer. Possibly was rushed to the majors. Check out Correa, Arcia, Didi and Russell at 22. And their age 23 season. He’s right there.
              I think he was rushed to the majors. Last year, he looked rough around the edges and having Frazier at third was not a good thing for Rosario's development. The two of them did not understand each other's range and one would often cut off the other and in doing so, allowed for hits that shouldn't have been.

That steadily improved over the season. So did his hitting to a degree. He's one that I am optimistic about.

Matz is another story. He is 27 and has been in the majors for 4 years. So far, he has shown a lot of raw talent with limited understanding of how to actually pitch. If 25% of deGrom's understanding of situational pitching rubbed off on Matz, he would be dangerous. As it stands, he is the #4 starter on this team, behind deGrom, Syndergaard (who also need to learn situational pitching) and Wheeler, who had a good second half.

Comment

Funny, if the 20 second clock come about he may shine. I’m not sold on durability with him though.
                Neither am I, but I hope he's finally sorted out the arm trouble, I'd like to see him succeed--and not just because we could use the lefty arm.

If (here come the Ifs!) deGrom and Sydergaard stay healthy and one of Matz/Wheeler perform, we're about a .500 team with an outside shot at a WC. Both and we have a decent WC shot and an outside shot at the division-winning season those oh-so-optimistic projections slate for us.

But we've seen this movie, these pitchers, and these "Ifs" before--and this staff hasn't been able to stay healthy (and, not coincidentally, those Ifs haven't been fully realized) since 2015.

Prove me wrong, Mets...
                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Neither am I, but I hope he's finally sorted out the arm trouble, I'd like to see him succeed--and not just because we could use the lefty arm.

If (here come the Ifs!) deGrom and Sydergaard stay healthy and one of Matz/Wheeler perform, we're about a .500 team with an outside shot at a WC. Both and we have a decent WC shot and an outside shot at the division-winning season those oh-so-optimistic projections slate for us.

But we've seen this movie, these pitchers, and these "Ifs" before--and this staff hasn't been able to stay healthy (and, not coincidentally, those Ifs haven't been fully realized) since 2015.

Prove me wrong, Mets...
                  If we are going to be honest......yes Matz has been injured at points, but he hasnt been very good when healthy.

We are waiting for him to turn it on, but do we have any indication that "it" is there?

If someone on the Phillies, or White Sox was 20-26 with a 3.98 are we giving him a second thought?

Lets hope its there, but it remains to be seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

If we are going to be honest......yes Matz has been injured at points, but he hasnt been very good when healthy.

We are waiting for him to turn it on, but do we have any indication that "it" is there?

If someone on the Phillies, or White Sox was 20-26 with a 3.98 are we giving him a second thought?

Yeah, I agree. That said, I also wondered time and again why we were still holding out hopes for Wheeler before last year.

Wheeler's by no means a sure thing either, to be clear, but we'd all put more chips on him as a serviceable starter than Matz after last year.

That said, prior to last year it'd have been the reverse, Matz over Wheeler, so we'll see--

Maybe both will take the flashes they've shown and this rotation will start to show the consistency and potential it's lacked since that 2015 run,
                    Hopefully at least one of them figures it out, we'll have a consistent #3 again, and the other we can maybe ship off (we found a buyer for Harvey, and physically and personally he was way worse off than these guys),
                    Hopefully we don't go 0 for 2...but then again, these are the Mets, soooooo...

Comment

Yeah, I agree. That said, I also wondered time and again why we were still holding out hopes for Wheeler before last year.

Wheeler's by no means a sure thing either, to be clear, but we'd all put more chips on him as a serviceable starter than Matz after last year.

That said, prior to last year it'd have been the reverse, Matz over Wheeler, so we'll see--

Maybe both will take the flashes they've shown and this rotation will start to show the consistency and potential it's lacked since that 2015 run,
                      Hopefully at least one of them figures it out, we'll have a consistent #3 again, and the other we can maybe ship off (we found a buyer for Harvey, and physically and personally he was way worse off than these guys),
                      Hopefully we don't go 0 for 2...but then again, these are the Mets, soooooo...
                      I dont actually think anyone was holding out hope for Wheeler --- he just wasnt trade bait because of injury. His second half last year was a surprise and lets hope something works in the Met favor.

Matz actually had the better minor league career, but if you watch him pitch he seems to get in his own way. He gets easily frustrated and lets it take over.

Personally I am tired about hearing about Met pitching, and its many excuses. Its been 4 year now since 2015 and the Miracle that came along with it. I still believe that the Mets focus has been way too much on SP's and not nearly enough on the 8 everyday players, and bullpen. This includes speed and defense as well as offense.

As currently constructed they are still offensively lopsided and challenged. Not to go off on a tangent but the backbone and playoff dependency is still on the SP's by a wide margin. I can still see offense as being the reason why they dont win. I can see left handed pitching dominate them.

Comment

• Couldn't sleep last night so listened to sports radio. The host said his two Mets predicted to have the most important contributions for 2019 were Wheeler and Conforto. He also mentioned Rosario but thinks he's still developing. Conforto, I didn't think about, but it would be great if he can get back to All Star caliber. Wheeler with 179 K's in 182 innings and a WHIP of 1.12, if duplicated would go a long way to being what Brodie already thinks they are as a team.

Comment

• BVW is delusional ...........in fact he is beyond delusional. Frazier is his right handed power bat.

He is talking about Broxton/Lagares like I dont know who they are.

Wow...the more I listen to this the more bizarre it is getting.

Ok he just said..........Matz proved that he can produce over the course of full season last year. 5-11 3.97 -- Earth to Brodie come in Brodie

It is going to be awesome to listen to the fans that are drinking up the Kool Aid.

This guy is coming off more and more like a used car salesmen. Its actually sort of disgusting listening to him talk about deGrom - "deGrom is going to be happy flipping the ball to Familia/Diaz" Mike says --- "A long term contract is going to make him happy". BVW - "the door is always open"

LMAO --- he just said he doesnt have room for some of the high end free agents. This guy is a joke. A smoother version of Alderson.
                          Last edited by Paulypal; 02-11-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• “I think this is our year,” Jeurys Familia said.

https://twitter.com/timbhealey/statu...54212428451846
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                              “I think this is our year,” Jeurys Familia said.

https://twitter.com/timbhealey/statu...54212428451846
                              They just signed Danny Espinosa. This is definitely their year!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...or-league-deal

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Wow, I didn't realize Matz has only 20 wins in four seasons. I know wins are out of fashion for evaluating pitchers, but still - wow.

They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X