This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I had wanted him and Gonzalez to shore up the pitching staff. The Nats, a division rival, got him for a little over the league minimum and we're talking about a pitcher who can pretty much be inserted into any role in the bullpen and be effective.

At least one of my teams actually spends money. The NY Jets signed Leveon Bell and a slew of top end linemen yesterday. If only the Mets could think this way instead of doing what they have been doing.

With the NY Yankees pitching issues, I won;t be surprised at all if Keuchel and Gonzalez end up on their team and in their rotation by opening day. The Mets will sit on their hands and claim they have the best team in the division.

EDIT: There is one remaining relief pitcher who I think would be a big help to this team:

Ryan Madson! Even at 38 years old and coming off of a bad season, Madson is a veteran with a long history of excellence who could be used in middle relief, as a set up person or the occasional closer. His versatility and experience would also be a positive for the younger players on the bullpen. Outside of him, the rest of the remaining RPs who are free agents are either washed up, or wouldn't be an improvement over calling up a young pitcher from Syracuse.

Position players Carlos Gonzalez and Denard Span remaining unsigned is a bit of a surprise. So is seeing Gio Gonzalez and Edwin Jackson, remain unsigned.

Keuchel is still holding out for 5 years (good luck) and Kimbrel wants to be the highest paid closer in baseball with a long term deal to go with it (good luck).

BVW & Jeff are still high-fiving over the windfall of an off season to be paying attention to Tony Sipp.

Again the Mets didnt have a terrible off season they just didnt do enough to be the team that BVW says they are. I liked the Diaz/Cano move more than most on here. I think Cano is still a hitter and Diaz was the best in the buisness. The Ramos pickup was also a good pickup as was Familia. Other than that what did they really do?........................They created depth but they created it by signing players that can be mixed and matched with what they currently had. They didnt sign lock starters and put guys that were starting on the bench.

For instance Lowrie - we heard 1st, 3rd, spell Cano at 2nd, OF maybe. JD Davis can play 3rd, 1st and a corner OF position.

Are we excited about Broxton or Gomez?

Can the Mets compete in 2019? Yes, but we have to say what we always say. Things have to break right for them to compete.

You can say that about any midland team that has some skills and equally sized holes.

The point is getting the team to a point where if guys just play to their average that they will compete. Yet the GM feels the team is loaded for bear. Only the Met GM gets to do a mediocre job and walk around talking trash.

Comment

• Clay Davenport's Projections for 2019
      generated on 3-15-2019

New York 89-73
      Philadelphia 89-73
      Washington 88-74
      Atlanta 82-80
      Miami 65-97
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
        Clay Davenport's Projections for 2019
        generated on 3-15-2019

New York 89-73
        Philadelphia 89-73
        Washington 88-74
        Atlanta 82-80
        Miami 65-97
        If that has any level of accuracy September could be a lot of fun. Especially if Atlanta signs Kimbrel and makes it even tighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

BVW & Jeff are still high-fiving over the windfall of an off season to be paying attention to Tony Sipp.

Again the Mets didnt have a terrible off season they just didnt do enough to be the team that BVW says they are. I liked the Diaz/Cano move more than most on here. I think Cano is still a hitter and Diaz was the best in the buisness. The Ramos pickup was also a good pickup as was Familia. Other than that what did they really do?........................They created depth but they created it by signing players that can be mixed and matched with what they currently had. They didnt sign lock starters and put guys that were starting on the bench.

For instance Lowrie - we heard 1st, 3rd, spell Cano at 2nd, OF maybe. JD Davis can play 3rd, 1st and a corner OF position.

Are we excited about Broxton or Gomez?

Can the Mets compete in 2019? Yes, but we have to say what we always say. Things have to break right for them to compete.

You can say that about any midland team that has some skills and equally sized holes.

The point is getting the team to a point where if guys just play to their average that they will compete. Yet the GM feels the team is loaded for bear. Only the Met GM gets to do a mediocre job and walk around talking trash.

Pauly, a great comment about VW Bug.
          North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• So all off season I was hammering away how they needed and didn't get the big right handed bat. Mostly wanting the Mets to acquire Pollock who also fills the CF need. Well that horse left the barn, but is the big right handed bat in Met camp in Peter Alonso?

I don't put too much credence in ST numbers but Alonso is hard to ignore. .423 with 3 homers. If you watched at all the ball really explodes off of his bat.

Now what does that mean in a real MLB game...….right now his ST means nothing, but he has earned a spot. The question is was BVW telling the truth that Alonso comes up if he earns the job and will not be held back due to service time?

This is a big trust test for BVW in my opinion. Are they going to make up some B.S. excuse to keep Alonso down?

Yes I also see the spring that Dom Smith is having but Smith has one big thing against him right now --- he is lefthanded. Usually a huge plus but on this Met team the right handed bat is key.

Are they going to throw the defense out there as an excuse? Well again if you watched Alonso he did not embarrass himself with the glove. So either his defense improved or his bad defense was vastly overrated.

Either way it doesn't matter he is fine over there. Just ask Josh Reddick.

Comment

I had wanted him and Gonzalez to shore up the pitching staff. The Nats, a division rival, got him for a little over the league minimum and we're talking about a pitcher who can pretty much be inserted into any role in the bullpen and be effective.
              Yankees nearing deal with Gio Gonzalez:
              https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-gonzalez.html

Given how Matz has been shakier than a bowl of jello in an earthquake this spring, I would like to have seen the Mets go out and offer some sort of deal for another starter. Gonzalez, yes, but I was thinking of Edwin Jackson. Jackson is 35 now and he was 6-3 with a 3.33 ERA (4.65 FIP) for Oakland last year.
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

Yankees nearing deal with Gio Gonzalez:
                https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-gonzalez.html

Given how Matz has been shakier than a bowl of jello in an earthquake this spring, I would like to have seen the Mets go out and offer some sort of deal for another starter. Gonzalez, yes, but I was thinking of Edwin Jackson. Jackson is 35 now and he was 6-3 with a 3.33 ERA (4.65 FIP) for Oakland last year.
                When the Yankees get injuries, they go out and spend money. When the Mets do, or one of their players don't pan out, they point to how much money they have "spent" and sit on their hands.

Comment

When the Yankees get injuries, they go out and spend money. When the Mets do, or one of their players don't pan out, they point to how much money they have "spent" and sit on their hands.
                  Gio is not going to put any team over the top but he adds depth, and another option.

The Yankees seemingly always ask the question of themselves "how do we get better" and then act accordingly. They obviously use fiscal restraint but getting better is always somewhere on the scale of importance.

As Blue387 mentioned, Matz has really stunk it up in ST without too much positive history in his regular seasons. So who needs Gio?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Gio is not going to put any team over the top but he adds depth, and another option.

The Yankees seemingly always ask the question of themselves "how do we get better" and then act accordingly. They obviously use fiscal restraint but getting better is always somewhere on the scale of importance.

As Blue387 mentioned, Matz has really stunk it up in ST without too much positive history in his regular seasons. So who needs Gio?
                    What frustrates me is that they went out and created all of this "depth" among the position players, but sit on their hands when it comes to signing a 6th starter to a minor league deal. What do they have to lose? Nothing! They could get Edwin Jackson for a little over a million in all likelihood and incentivize the deal by giving him bonuses if he makes the 40 man and again if he makes the MLB roster. It is beyond stupid that this team is going into the season with an injury prone pitcher as their #4 starter and a train wreck as their number 5 starter with no actual backup if something happens to either of them.

Comment

What frustrates me is that they went out and created all of this "depth" among the position players, but sit on their hands when it comes to signing a 6th starter to a minor league deal. What do they have to lose? Nothing! They could get Edwin Jackson for a little over a million in all likelihood and incentivize the deal by giving him bonuses if he makes the 40 man and again if he makes the MLB roster. It is beyond stupid that this team is going into the season with an injury prone pitcher as their #4 starter and a train wreck as their number 5 starter with no actual backup if something happens to either of them.
                      Maybe you havent heard. The Mets have the best pitching staff in baseball, and they are the team to beat. Just ask their slick GM.

With Matz and Vargas who needs another pitcher.

Comment

What frustrates me is that they went out and created all of this "depth" among the position players, but sit on their hands when it comes to signing a 6th starter to a minor league deal. What do they have to lose? Nothing! They could get Edwin Jackson for a little over a million in all likelihood and incentivize the deal by giving him bonuses
                        if he makes the 40 man and again if he makes the MLB roster. It is beyond stupid that this team is going into the season with an injury prone pitcher as their #4 starter and a train wreck as their number 5 starter with no actual backup if something happens to either of them.
                        Seth Lugo is a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Seth Lugo is a possibility.
                          Lugo needs to stay in the bullpen where he belongs and has proven to be very effective. He is okay as an emergency spot starter, but if he goes into the starting rotation for more than a start or two, that leaves a void in the bullpen, so the lack of depth shows up there instead.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X