2019 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Mets Season Thread

Well, Spring Training is over. The Mets have made a lot of personnel changes. I think they focused on the wrong players and wrong areas. I would have signed a good starter and a couple more relievers. Depth in the rotation and, to a lesser extent the bullpen, is the biggest problem.

With health, I think it could be an 84 win team. Without health it could be a 74 win team.

Thoughts?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

The beginning of the Van Wagenen era brings a contract extension for Cy deGrom. Well done.
    Now when the 25 man rosters get announced we’ll see if Alonso makes the team on opening day. If so, the GM has the owners ear.

I see fewer 1-0, 2-0 and 3-0 losses for the 2019 Metsies.
    Enjoy Opening Day!

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
      The beginning of the Van Wagenen era brings a contract extension for Cy deGrom. Well done.
      Now when the 25 man rosters get announced we’ll see if Alonso makes the team on opening day. If so, the GM has the owners ear.

I see fewer 1-0, 2-0 and 3-0 losses for the 2019 Metsies.
      Enjoy Opening Day!
      By the time Alonso's six years of control are up, there'll be a new CBA in which team control is shorter. Bringing Alonso up now (he should have been brought up last year), is no longer a big deal. Also, Alonso's physical attributes and skill set suggests he'll be in decline at the end of six years anyway.

In my opinion, starting the season in March is bad. It's still too cold.

Comment

Post # 1,000.

A better closer means less blown saves, and better hitting means more save opportunities. Thus they are better positioned to win close games which will help a lot.

However, they didn't do much with the rest of the pen, just recycled it a bit, they don't have the firepower to overwhelm anyone, and the division has improved. I don't know that they did enough to bring them from 77 wins to the next level.

Sunday's Daily News had a baseball special with predictions from about ten writers across the country. One picked the Mets for third, everybody else said fourth.

We'll see if "everybody" is wrong.

Comment

I'm thinking somewhere around 80 wins. I really hope to see Nimmo and Conforto develop into + level #2 and middle of the order batters respectively. Cano, I would hope, maintains his level of performance. There is an actual established major league catcher. For 90 win range I would need a stacked deck with less "ifs". There are some strong cards like Degrom and Diaz, and to a lesser extent Noah and Famiglia but after that the pitching is guys I would like to see do it twice like Wheeler and Lugo before I move them out of the "maybe and should/could" pile.

Comment

1). Despite an improved closer, their bullpen still has many of the same weaknesses.

2). It's impractical to think that DeGrom will repeat or come near what he did in 2018. You should expect (and be satisfied with) 220 IP & 135 ERA+. That means Syndergaard, Wheeler, Matz, & Vargas have to improve from last year. Each of the 4 has questionable durability, and gave poor performances in recent years.

3). I'm not thrilled about Frazier, Lowrie, & Rosario; each could give below-average performances (even if they don't get injured).

4). I'm really unsure about Cano. He could carry them to a meaningful September if he plays like his typical self. But he could kill them if he begins a proper decline phase.

5). Forget Cespedes.

6). Conforto, Ramos, Nimmo should be good. McNeil should be acceptable.

Overall -- I say 80-84 games. They won 77 last season, but that number is somewhat deceiving since they started 11-1. They were worse than their record last year. This year's team isn't so much improved.

Comment

1. The starting rotation has holes that the team should have addressed in the off season. Matz is a big question mark and looked flat in spring training. Does anyone expect anything out of Vargas?

2. The bullpen is better than last year, but still needs a couple of new arms. I hope some of the youngsters step up. If not, we will see some blown games.

3. Alonso will hit plenty of home runs. He will also strike out a lot and not hit for average.

4. The team is greatly improved at the catcher position and I think signing Rivera when Mesoraco refused to be sent down was a good move since d'Arnaud lives on the DL.

5. Dominic Smith was a pleasant surprise this spring. I hope he carries his new found game into the regular season.

6. Nimmo looks like the real deal. Not sold on Lagares at all. Conforto still needs a full season of productivity to prove he is for real.

7. Cano will have a big year. Several of the free agent signings will linger on and off the DL.

8. This is a win-now team. If the team is not winning, dump as many players as you can at the trade deadline and restock the farm system so that a new team can be built around deGrom.

Overall, I expect this team to be competitive and win about 88 games this year as they sit. If they implode again, Calloway will be gone by mid season and Wheeler and maybe Syndergaard will be dealt mid season.
              Last edited by jjpm74; 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I can see this team winning in the high 80's and can also see it going low-mid 70's.

There are just too many question marks. Too many players have to play better than the back of their baseball cards.

If most of the IF's fall in the Met favor I can see 85-88 wins. If they go the other way 74-77 wins.

If Conforto
                If McNeil
                Does Rosario improve
                Is Nimmo for real
                The 4 & 5 starter need to improve in a big way.
                Is the bullpen improved enough to sustain a full season?
                Health -- Health -- Health ???
                Still no CF'er
                Is Alonso the answer?
                Cant count on deGrom having a 1.70 again.
                We know they wont be injury free going forward. Can they absorb injuries?
                Todd Frazier not playing -- a big plus.

Too many question marks to get a feel for the team in my opinion. A lot of round peg/square hole fits with the positioning if they start putting Smith in the OF.

My problem with this bunch is that we need them to do better than they have before in a lot of areas from multiple players.

Comment

The low 90's for wins.
                  Rosario, Cano, Conforto, Alonso, Ramos the main reasons.

Comment

the odds makers for awards released the top ten favorites to win the Cy Young this year:

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/mlb/cy-young-odds/

deGrom sits at #2 and Syndergaard sits at #5

If they have the kind of years where they actually factor into the Cy Young voting at #2 and #5, the team should hopefully be vying for a division title. Time will tell.

Comment

This is my annual tradition now:

image_152608.gif
                      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        This is my annual tradition now:

image_152608.gif
                        Just glad baseball is back in general.

I do hope the Mets can give us a good summer by staying competitive while playing entertaining baseball.

Heavyweight match-up out of the gate -- Scherzer vs deGrom.

Comment

87 wins because I am an optimist. I think the degrom signing is a huge positive for the perception that the team is trying. Good, not great offseason and looking forward to watching the games. LGM!!

Comment

Typical de Grom start so far. 6IP, 5 hits, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts, and a 1-0 lead. Let's see if he gets the win. Scherzer sharp, too. Lugo looking good, too.

Comment

The Mets win!

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X