Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqvO1C5zl4

I didn't see Seaver's 1969 season. Gooden, from around August 1984 through April 1986 was 35-7 with a 1.39 ERA. I've never seen anyone as good. Here's a reminder. Enjoy:

Thanks.

I watched some it -- flipped around it a bit. Checked out a couple of Darryl's at bats.

Gooden was just amazing - nothing else really to say about him.

I liked a Joel Youngblood at bat (I forgot he played with the Giants). Gooden starting him off with a nasty curve and Youngblood just looked into the Met dugout and was laughing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Thanks.

I watched some it -- flipped around it a bit. Checked out a couple of Darryl's at bats.

Gooden was just amazing - nothing else really to say about him.

I liked a Joel Youngblood at bat (I forgot he played with the Giants). Gooden starting him off with a nasty curve and Youngblood just looked into the Met dugout and was laughing.
      I misstated Gooden's record over that 84-86 stretch. It was 37-5, not 35-7.

What's remarkable is, with all that movement, he was almost always on the black of the plate. With few exceptions, fastballs on the corners, or top or bottom of the strike zone. Ryan's pure stuff was similar, with a bit more velocity, but no consistent command, especially of the curve. Gooden kept plunging that curveball through the strike zone, over and over.

Chili Davis handled Gooden pretty well. The only hitter to do so. Strange that he's Mets hitting coach now.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I misstated Gooden's record over that 84-86 stretch. It was 37-5, not 35-7.

What's remarkable is, with all that movement, he was almost always on the black of the plate. With few exceptions, fastballs on the corners, or top or bottom of the strike zone. Ryan's pure stuff was similar, with a bit more velocity, but no consistent command, especially of the curve. Gooden kept plunging that curveball through the strike zone, over and over.

Chili Davis handled Gooden pretty well. The only hitter to do so. Strange that he's Mets hitting coach now.

You are right about Chili Davis . After Gooden shut out the Giants in 1985, but Davis had 3 hits , Chili said “ He isn’t God “ .

When 99% of Mets fans were drinking the kool aid dished out by Gary Cohen and his “ deGrommania “ where every single game became an obsession with ERAs and Hyping Jake ( and belittling the other Cy Young candidates credentials ) - I kept posting that Gooden’s 1985 season was better . In fact it wasn’t even close . Next up was Seaver’s 11 straight wins in 1969 , and Seaver’s 1971 season was even better ( he should have won the Cy Young that season ) .

But if you had time to kill and read back on all of the kool aid posts , You would see what I mean .

Don’t forget when RA won the Cy Young , he didn’t enjoy the Daily over promoting enjoyed by Jake , probably because Fred/Jeff were dumping Dickey .

In September of 1986 , Rusty Staub hosted a post game show on 1050 AM . Staub was getting frustrated when each night fans called in and were saying that the Gooden of 1986 had lost something and he was not the Doc of 1984-1985 . Staub kept defending Gooden’s 17-6 Record , but callers wouldn’t let up saying there were “ rumors out there “ . To his credit Staub would not discuss rumors but he seemed in denial that the fans could sense something wasn’t right .

WFAN 1050 moved to 660 later on .

Comment

• Mets win 4-2, Diaz gets the save.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

You are right about Chili Davis . After Gooden shut out the Giants in 1985, but Davis had 3 hits , Chili said “ He isn’t God “ .

When 99% of Mets fans were drinking the kool aid dished out by Gary Cohen and his “ deGrommania “ where every single game became an obsession with ERAs and Hyping Jake ( and belittling the other Cy Young candidates credentials ) - I kept posting that Gooden’s 1985 season was better . In fact it wasn’t even close . Next up was Seaver’s 11 straight wins in 1969 , and Seaver’s 1971 season was even better ( he should have won the Cy Young that season ) .

But if you had time to kill and read back on all of the kool aid posts , You would see what I mean .

Don’t forget when RA won the Cy Young , he didn’t enjoy the Daily over promoting enjoyed by Jake , probably because Fred/Jeff were dumping Dickey .

In September of 1986 , Rusty Staub hosted a post game show on 1050 AM . Staub was getting frustrated when each night fans called in and were saying that the Gooden of 1986 had lost something and he was not the Doc of 1984-1985 . Staub kept defending Gooden’s 17-6 Record , but callers wouldn’t let up saying there were “ rumors out there “ . To his credit Staub would not discuss rumors but he seemed in denial that the fans could sense something wasn’t right .

WFAN 1050 moved to 660 later on .
            What kool aid were you drinking last year? I saw every game of Gooden's 84-86 stretch and it was great to see So was deGroms season last year. The only difference between the two is you are now an old curmudgeon who hates kids on his lawn so you can't appreciate it as much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
              Mets win 4-2, Diaz gets the save.

So who get's the Gold Star?? Diaz or VWBug???
              North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

So who get's the Gold Star?? Diaz or VWBug???
                I'm picking Seth Lugo

Comment

• Robinson Cano is alive!

Comment

• Mets win 6-2, Jeurys Familia still terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      Mets win 6-2, Jeurys Familia still terrible.

and Zach Wheeler goes on the Injured List...

https://nypost.com/2019/07/15/mets-t...-injured-list/

What else is new....
                      20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• I was hearing chatter about moving Rosario to CF. I'd rather they just trade him and bring up Andres Gimenez so we can see what he is. Rosario is not that good as a SS and does not hit enough to play CF. He looks like a back up utility player at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by dstoffa View Post

and Zach Wheeler goes on the Injured List...

https://nypost.com/2019/07/15/mets-t...-injured-list/

What else is new....
                          That sucks! There goes any hope of trading him for any kind of return.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                            I was hearing chatter about moving Rosario to CF. I'd rather they just trade him and bring up Andres Gimenez so we can see what he is. Rosario is not that good as a SS and does not hit enough to play CF. He looks like a back up utility player at best.
                            He has fewer than 300 MLB games.

Maybe NYers just don’t buy learning at the big league level and management doesn’t want to say they’re rebuilding, be patient. Gimenez would also get the utility player treatment if he developed slowly.

Not specifically directed at you, we as a group of fans aren’t patient with 23 year olds.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

He has fewer than 300 MLB games.

Maybe NYers just don’t buy learning at the big league level and management doesn’t want to say they’re rebuilding, be patient. Gimenez would also get the utility player treatment if he developed slowly.

Not specifically directed at you, we as a group of fans aren’t patient with 23 year olds.
                              How long should we be patient? I'm also still waiting for Conforto and Nimmo to develop into the players they were supposed to develop into.

Comment

• 3 home runs and 5 RBI for d'Arnaud against the Yankees tonight. He's the entire offense. Tampa Bay has him leading off. He's doing pretty well for them overall.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X