• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Great time to trade Rosario.
    Bad error but Twins like him.

Comment

• Mets win 14-4, that homer by Alonso hit the third deck.
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Bad error but Twins like him.
        Let me clarify ........Time to trade Amed Rosario. Sell him on a high note.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Let me clarify ........Time to trade Amed Rosario. Sell him on a high note.
          I wondered why you were interested in Twins players.

Comment

• Pete Alonso with a HR at sunrise in the 16th!

Edit: Buuuuuut it doesn't matter as they give the lead right back.
            Last edited by Shea Knight; 07-18-2019, 11:31 PM.
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Mets lose 3-2, they should have brought up another reliever other than Jacob Rhame

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                Mets lose 3-2, they should have brought up another reliever other than Jacob Rhame

In the mid-80s, you always knew the Mets would pull out an extra inning game. From about 1983 to 1986, they won quite a few memorable ones. Things have been different during the Wilpon era. Even on a rare night when they manage to pitch so many unlikely scoreless innings and Alonso homers, deep down inside, you know they'll still lose. And they do.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                  Mets win 14-4, that homer by Alonso hit the third deck.
                  I can't wait to see Alonzo hit in Coors Field. He might hit one out of Coors Field.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• So Todd Frazier is still a Met.

Again he was hitting .271 two/three weeks ago. I said now we trade him. Nope. Now down to .244....worthless.

Comment

• You have to consider that teams probably weren't biting when he was batting .271 a few weeks ago. Like us, teams saw that Frazier was hurt last year and at the beginning of this year. They saw that he had a 93 OPS+ last season. They saw that he batted .183 in his first 63 plate appearances this year. Hot streaks don't fool us; they won't fool the GMs either.

And the current market isn't hot for high strikeout, decent slugging, good-fielding 3B. It's a pitcher's market.

It's not unreasonable to suppose that teams don't want him, or don't want him for a prospect.

Comment

• https://nypost.com/2019/07/18/mets-b...e-lame-trades/

Interesting article in NYPost today by Joel Sherman.

The claim is that NYM should hold on to Wheeler, Frazier, Vargas, & others and just shoot for the 1% chance of making the 2019 playoffs. Then keep those guys for 2020.

Because the reality is that Mets are unlikely to get real prospects in return for Wheeler, Frazier, Vargas, & others. And by keeping them, they'll be in a better position to bring them back next year at a discount. Mets aren't rebuilding in 2020; and a win-now team in 2020 would be better with Wheeler, Vargas, and (maybe) Frazier.

The (better) alternative is for the Mets to go full-rebuild, which involving putting DeGrom, Syndergaard, and probably Conforto on the trading block. Only these guys will fetch real prospects. But Mets aren't going to do that.
                        I agree with Sherman's idea that Mets shouldn't be afraid to hold on to these players if teams aren't willing to give a good return. You don't just trade players for the sake of trading them.

Comment

• Its the same old story -- The Mets organization is not smart enough to either build on what they have or do a full rebuild.

So they are basically stuck in the mud as sub mid-level team waiting for that once in a decade lightning in a bottle playoff run.

Best line in the article:

If the Mets were well run — and they are far from that

Nuff said

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
                            https://nypost.com/2019/07/18/mets-b...e-lame-trades/

Interesting article in NYPost today by Joel Sherman.

The claim is that NYM should hold on to Wheeler, Frazier, Vargas, & others and just shoot for the 1% chance of making the 2019 playoffs. Then keep those guys for 2020.

Because the reality is that Mets are unlikely to get real prospects in return for Wheeler, Frazier, Vargas, & others. And by keeping them, they'll be in a better position to bring them back next year at a discount. Mets aren't rebuilding in 2020; and a win-now team in 2020 would be better with Wheeler, Vargas, and (maybe) Frazier.

The (better) alternative is for the Mets to go full-rebuild, which involving putting DeGrom, Syndergaard, and probably Conforto on the trading block. Only these guys will fetch real prospects. But Mets aren't going to do that.
                            I agree with Sherman's idea that Mets shouldn't be afraid to hold on to these players if teams aren't willing to give a good return. You don't just trade players for the sake of trading them.
                            It wouldn't shock me if Conforto was traded. They aren't trading deGrom or Syndergaard and Alonso and McNeil are the guys you build around if you go into full rebuild mode, so they aren't going anywhere, either.

Holding onto Frazier makes zero sense to me. Whatever they can get for him, trade and get for him. The team has an excessive amount of corner fielders. I don't have the hate for him Pauly has, but keeping him blocks the younger guys from getting more playing time and he is the type of player who could make a difference on a team in the playoff hunt.

Wheeler would depend on what he thinks he wants to do at the end of the season. It also depends on whether the Giants think that are in the playoff hunt or not as Wheeler is still the guy who has the most interest outside of Bumgarner. The Mets would be stupid to offer WHeeler a QO when it would be $18 million for what is essentially a decent middle of the rotation pitcher, and I honestly haven't been impressed with him or Matz and doun't get the impression he is interested in staying a Met.

Vargas has a team option at the end of the season of $8 million with a $2 million buyout. They will probably trade him to avoid the buyout and honestly, what has he really shown that makes him worth bringing back? Is he the next Jamie Moyer or Bartolo Colon? If he is, it might be worth holding onto him and tendering him the $8 million contract, since that is cheap for a back of the rotation innings eater (if that is what he can develop into moving forward). Or is he the train wreck we saw last year where every pitch was being grooved down the middle? I don't know. He seems like a good teammate and it actually might not be a bad idea to keep him around (yes, he has managed to win me over. redban, it looks like you are right about Vargas).

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

It wouldn't shock me if Conforto was traded. They aren't trading deGrom or Syndergaard and Alonso and McNeil are the guys you build around if you go into full rebuild mode, so they aren't going anywhere, either.

Holding onto Frazier makes zero sense to me. Whatever they can get for him, trade and get for him. The team has an excessive amount of corner fielders. I don't have the hate for him Pauly has, but keeping him blocks the younger guys from getting more playing time and he is the type of player who could make a difference on a team in the playoff hunt.

Wheeler would depend on what he thinks he wants to do at the end of the season. It also depends on whether the Giants think that are in the playoff hunt or not as Wheeler is still the guy who has the most interest outside of Bumgarner. The Mets would be stupid to offer WHeeler a QO when it would be $18 million for what is essentially a decent middle of the rotation pitcher, and I honestly haven't been impressed with him or Matz and doun't get the impression he is interested in staying a Met.

Vargas has a team option at the end of the season of $8 million with a $2 million buyout. They will probably trade him to avoid the buyout and honestly, what has he really shown that makes him worth bringing back? Is he the next Jamie Moyer or Bartolo Colon? If he is, it might be worth holding onto him and tendering him the $8 million contract, since that is cheap for a back of the rotation innings eater (if that is what he can develop into moving forward). Or is he the train wreck we saw last year where every pitch was being grooved down the middle? I don't know. He seems like a good teammate and it actually might not be a bad idea to keep him around (yes, he has managed to win me over. redban, it looks like you are right about Vargas).
                              Underlining the whole discussion is the fact that Mets are going to be in win-now mode in 2020. (which is foolish, I think they should rebuild. But they won't).

If they're in win-now mode in 2020, they're going to need decent starting pitchers. The good free-agent pitchers will probably cost minimum $12-20 million per year on multi-year contracts. So Wheeler at $18 million & Vargas at $6 million doesn't sound so bad, especially on one year deals.

Who else is there --- could / should they pay up for Bumgarner, Gerrit Cole, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Dallas Keuchel, Cole Hamels? should they take a chance with Clay Buchholz, Rick Porcello, Gio Gonzalez, Felix Hernandez? bring back Harvey?

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post

Underlining the whole discussion is the fact that Mets are going to be in win-now mode in 2020. (which is foolish, I think they should rebuild. But they won't).

If they're in win-now mode in 2020, they're going to need decent starting pitchers. The good free-agent pitchers will probably cost minimum $12-20 million per year on multi-year contracts. So Wheeler at $18 million & Vargas at $6 million doesn't sound so bad, especially on one year deals.

Who else is there --- could / should they pay up for Bumgarner, Gerrit Cole, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Dallas Keuchel, Cole Hamels? should they take a chance with Clay Buchholz, Rick Porcello, Gio Gonzalez, Felix Hernandez? bring back Harvey?
                                If they want to put up the facade of being in "win now" mode, they need to actively pursue Gerrit Cole and Cole Hamels, either retain Vargas or go after one of Buckholz or Porcello and either trade Matz or move him to the bullpen. They will also need to spend real money on the bullpen and not just go picking through the dumpster again.

Offensively, they need a real short stop, a real center fielder and if they are operating on the assumption Lowrie will be healthy, should otherwise have enough offense if they retain Conforto, Nimmo, Alonso, McNeil and JD Davis.We all know Cano isn't going and will be in the order even if his BA is on the interstate.

At catcher, I want to see them try to move Ramos and go after Grandal.

That is all a tall order. What they will probably do is what they did this past off season part II and stock up on reclamation projects for the bullpen and desperate old guys with name recognition for Syracuse.

Personally, I'd like them to rip the whole team apart and start over.
                                Last edited by jjpm74; 07-19-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X