Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Todd Frazier (oblique) is scheduled to play nine innings in a rehab game Tuesday at High-A St. Lucie, including four at shortstop.

    If he can manage to not be completely terrible at the shortstop position, it would allow the Mets to send down Luis Guillorme and keep J.D. Davis on the active major league roster. Frazier, who landed on the 10-day injured list at the end of spring training with an oblique strain, would seem to be on track to join the Mets sometime this weekend, or perhaps early next week.


    Shortstop? Cmon now.
    If you look at Frazier's stats, he actually has above average range for a third baseman. As a backup, I can see him doing fine in that role.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
      Is Edwin Jackson still available?
      He is and I'd rather see him than Keuchel; and he'd be a significant upgrade over the BP pitcher they have trotting out there for mop up work/the 5th starter. What is the infatuation with Keuchel? He is not worth the $25 million he is looking for (he is not looking for less than his QO) plus losing a draft pick and 1/3 of the international draft pool money + the fact that he would not be MLB ready until mid May even if he was signed right now, and the Mets aren't going to pay a premium for someone who would be the #4 starter on this team.

      Picking up Keuchel made sense in Feb/early March. Now, it would be a stupid move. Maybe in June when the QO penalties go away if the team is actually still in it and Keuchel is still out there.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

        If you look at Frazier's stats, he actually has above average range for a third baseman. As a backup, I can see him doing fine in that role.
        He shouldnt be on a major league roster for the Orioles.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

          He is and I'd rather see him than Keuchel; and he'd be a significant upgrade over the BP pitcher they have trotting out there for mop up work/the 5th starter. What is the infatuation with Keuchel? He is not worth the $25 million he is looking for (he is not looking for less than his QO) plus losing a draft pick and 1/3 of the international draft pool money + the fact that he would not be MLB ready until mid May even if he was signed right now, and the Mets aren't going to pay a premium for someone who would be the #4 starter on this team.

          Picking up Keuchel made sense in Feb/early March. Now, it would be a stupid move. Maybe in June when the QO penalties go away if the team is actually still in it and Keuchel is still out there.
          I guess so..........I guess maybe we need to see more out of Vargas.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            I hadn't been watching, but I noticed the game was now 14-4, I looked at the box score and was surprised to see Vargas in mop up duty. Not surprised to see he's apparently getting hit hard.

            Just sign Keuchel already.

            on edit:

            I'd love to see Smith get some playing time. He seems to have turned a corner. He was a touted first round draft pick. But Alonso is looking like a force out there.

            I wish they'd brought Smith up from the start of last year. I'm not sure how much of his improvement is due to treating his sleep apnea.

            But Alonso is performing much better out of the gate than I'd expected. Problem is both are mostly limited to 1B defensively.
            Agreed on Keuchel. If you wait to get him -- it may be too late. Vargas is not going to get any better. Time to cut him loose.

            There is no place for Smith right now.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

              I guess so..........I guess maybe we need to see more out of Vargas.
              Right now, whether or not the Mets sign someone else to be the 5th starter, we are stuck with Vargas for at least another 6 weeks, so expect more batting practice in the weeks to come. They should have signed another pitcher in Spring Training. They could have signed Gonzalez or Jackson for the league minimum and either one would have been an upgrade over Vargas. They did not do this because they are stupid and short sighted and are already paying Vargas, so BVW on the "advice" of ownership are stuck punting every 5th start.

              Looking at this bullpen right now, this team is in a lot of trouble. I'm not worried about deGrom, Syndergaard or Wheeler as it is early in the year and I think all 3 will be fine when the weather gets better. What has been absolutely putrid is the bullpen. The only MLB teams that have been worse than the Mets bullpen are the Nats and Red Sox.

              Also alarming is that the team has struck out more than any other NL team and only the Rays in the AL have struck out more as a team.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                Right now, whether or not the Mets sign someone else to be the 5th starter, we are stuck with Vargas for at least another 6 weeks, so expect more batting practice in the weeks to come. They should have signed another pitcher in Spring Training. They could have signed Gonzalez or Jackson for the league minimum and either one would have been an upgrade over Vargas. They did not do this because they are stupid and short sighted and are already paying Vargas, so BVW on the "advice" of ownership are stuck punting every 5th start.

                Looking at this bullpen right now, this team is in a lot of trouble. I'm not worried about deGrom, Syndergaard or Wheeler as it is early in the year and I think all 3 will be fine when the weather gets better. What has been absolutely putrid is the bullpen. The only MLB teams that have been worse than the Mets bullpen are the Nats and Red Sox.

                Also alarming is that the team has struck out more than any other NL team and only the Rays in the AL have struck out more as a team.
                They can always just release Vargas.

                I am fine with the back end of the pen. Familia/Diaz. The problem with the pen is that the starters dont go past 5 and the bridge relievers flat out suck so far.

                FYI as of this morning the Mets are 9th in MLB in K's with 107 -- just about 11 a game. Still way too many.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                  They can always just release Vargas.
                  Who steps in to replace him? That is the problem! The team made no contingency plans for pitchers when they were creating minor league "depth" by signing all of those washed up veterans for the Syracuse squad.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                    Who steps in to replace him? That is the problem! The team made no contingency plans for pitchers when they were creating minor league "depth" by signing all of those washed up veterans for the Syracuse squad.
                    Have a bullpen day. Right answer? Who knows?

                    I already know Vargas sucks. I dont need to find out every 5th day just how much he sucks. If they keep conceding every fifth day they will be out of it by June.

                    No doubt about it - if Vargas is pitching every 5th day you are conceding that game.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                      Have a bullpen day. Right answer? Who knows?

                      I already know Vargas sucks. I dont need to find out every 5th day just how much he sucks. If they keep conceding every fifth day they will be out of it by June.

                      No doubt about it - if Vargas is pitching every 5th day you are conceding that game.
                      That might work once or twice, maybe. Not for a full season.

                      Comment


                      • More than any of the major sports, baseball is a marathon. You can't accurately judge a player until he has at least 1.5 months of play.

                        Vargas might still end up acceptable. He's pitched just 6 innings. Give it time.

                        I don't support a Keuchel signing. It's not worth the money, draft pick, and international bonus pool money. You're giving up too much.

                        If they wait until June for Keuchel, then they'll no longer have to give up the draft pick and IFA money. That might be fine. Although a signing in June means he won't pitch until near-July.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by redban View Post
                          Vargas might still end up acceptable. He's pitched just 6 innings. Give it time.
                          He stunk all last year and is throwing 85 MPH fastballs down the middle. Not likely.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                            He stunk all last year and is throwing 85 MPH fastballs down the middle. Not likely.
                            After the All-Star Break last year:
                            • 11 Games
                            • 54.1 IP
                            • 1.123 WHIP
                            • 3.81 ERA

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by redban View Post

                              After the All-Star Break last year:
                              • 11 Games
                              • 54.1 IP
                              • 1.123 WHIP
                              • 3.81 ERA
                              Who cares? The team was in a tail spin and well out of the playoff picture by then, and his ERA+ for the season was 64 last season and is 55 so far this season. He sucks!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                                Who cares? The team was in a tail spin and well out of the playoff picture by then, and his ERA+ for the season was 64 last season and is 55 so far this season. He sucks!
                                Yet during spring training, everyone referred to Wheeler as a Cy Young candidate solely because of his second half last year. Nobody cited that the team was in a tail spin and well out of the playoff hunt, and that Wheeler's ERA+ for the season was just 111.

                                Can't be inconsistent.

                                Vargas had a strong second half. So did Wheeler. Thus, both have promise for this year.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X