This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I'm also thinking the big rivalry teams don't want fewer home games against their rivals and more against teams their fans could care less about. Can't see the Wrigley fans saying, oh good, fewer Cardinal and Brewer games and more Colorado, Miami and Arizona games.
    That's why I favor an East/West split as mentioned--it sticks a couple rivalries back together (like Pirates/Phillies and, at some points in the past, Mets/Cubs) that got split up by a third division being added without diluting the amount of games played against rivals as much as would be the case with undivided 15 vs. 15 leagues.

And MLB had a simple NL/AL East/West split before, so it's not like it'd be a radical change to go back to something like that.

If they ever do expand to 32, as seems destined to happen someday, that'd create 4 neat divisions of 8 teams each...

As opposed to the NFL's setup of 8 divisions of 4 teams each, which seems a little too small and narrow for baseball.

In football, there's just 16 games, so playing home and away 6 times within your own division and 10 teams outside of it fits nicely.

In baseball, with 162 games, 4 teams is just too small, could split off rivals from one another, and dilutes winning your division even further.

"Winning the division" with 7/8 teams in it would actually feel a little more like an accomplishment again.

"Winning the division" by topping just 3 teams feels weak.
    Last edited by Shea Knight; 08-13-2019, 02:53 PM.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
      I'd rather go back to an NL East/West with 5 slots like Pauly said--

Division winners each get a slot, and the other 3 go to the three best teams among the 15 in that league, whether they're in the East or West.

If the NL West is stacked it'll get 4 teams to a weak NL East's 1, and giving the NL East (in this scenario) at least 1 will 1. Ensure that you don't have a whole geographic area shut out in either the NL or AL when the playoffs begin, and 2. Rewards beating 6 or 7 other teams out for the top spot in your division, which IS still probably worthy of a place in the playoffs, it'd take a really severe skewing of the talent for 5 NL West teams to all be better than 1 NL East team, and vice versa.

Reset the alignment to where it was before three divisions--

The Cubs, Cardinals, and Pirates can go back to the East, and the Reds and Brewers can go into the West.

In the AL the Twins, Royals, and Indians can go to the West and the White Sox and Tigers can go to the East.

That leaves Illinois (Cubs/White Sox) and Ohio (Reds/Indians) with both of their teams in the same division in both the NL and AL.

That would also allow for the Phillies/Pirates intra-Pennsylvania rivalry to revive, bring the Cubs and Mets into conflict more often, etc.
      If geography rules, I'd go with NY, Boston, Baltimore, Toronto, Tampa, Cleveland and Detroit in the East and Minn, KC, Chicago, Houston, Texas, Oakland, LA and Seattle in the West.
      For the NL, NY, Phila, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, DC, Miami and Cincinnati in the East and Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee, LA, AZ, San Francisco, San Diego and Colorado in the West.
      (Reds can't go to the West, White Sox can't go to the east)

Comment

• 1. The Reds used to be in the West.

2. The Cubs and Cardinals aren't going to like going to the West and having more games with a 2 hour time difference instead of the 1 hour time difference with the East. That's why I put the Reds there--one franchise possibly "angry" instead of two, the Cubs and Cards are frankly far more powerful franchises right now and so get precedent (the same way the Detroit Red Wings got their wish to go into the Eastern Conference and the NHL forced the oh-so-western NASHVILLE Predators into the West, lol.)

3. What's wrong with putting the White Sox in the East? It spares them the 2 hour time change the same as the Cubs, and obviously they share the city with them, so what sense does it make to put one team from the city in the East and one in the West? Again, doing it the other way keeps both Chicago teams in the East and both Ohio teams in the West, so at least fans there would have consistent time differences.

4. Watching Around the Horn today the issue of relegation came up (since the Yankees are humiliating the Orioles at this point) and I've always been against it in baseball--is anyone really on board with this idea?
        "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• 1. Remember when the Braves were in the NL West?

2. Saying there is a rivalry between the Pirates and Phillies is like saying there is a rivalry between the Toronto and Detroil.

3. Why not just go with what the Europeans do with soccer? The teams that suck get relegated to AAA, the best AAA teams join MLB to replace them, and literally everyone else gets to play in some sort of playoff series for a cup every year.

Comment

1. The Reds used to be in the West.

2. The Cubs and Cardinals aren't going to like going to the West and having more games with a 2 hour time difference instead of the 1 hour time difference with the East. That's why I put the Reds there--one franchise possibly "angry" instead of two, the Cubs and Cards are frankly far more powerful franchises right now and so get precedent (the same way the Detroit Red Wings got their wish to go into the Eastern Conference and the NHL forced the oh-so-western NASHVILLE Predators into the West, lol.)

3. What's wrong with putting the White Sox in the East? It spares them the 2 hour time change the same as the Cubs, and obviously they share the city with them, so what sense does it make to put one team from the city in the East and one in the West? Again, doing it the other way keeps both Chicago teams in the East and both Ohio teams in the West, so at least fans there would have consistent time differences.

4. Watching Around the Horn today the issue of relegation came up (since the Yankees are humiliating the Orioles at this point) and I've always been against it in baseball--is anyone really on board with this idea?
            They've served their time already. Someone needs to stick up for Cincinnati, might as well be me.
            Don't forget Houston is in the West even though they're in the Central time zone and have more games with a 2 hr time difference. Maybe the three division setup really is the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
              1. Remember when the Braves were in the NL West?

2. Saying there is a rivalry between the Pirates and Phillies is like saying there is a rivalry between the Toronto and Detroil.

3. Why not just go with what the Europeans do with soccer? The teams that suck get relegated to AAA, the best AAA teams join MLB to replace them, and literally everyone else gets to play in some sort of playoff series for a cup every year.
              My Pittsburgh area relatives detest Philadelphia. Not as much as they detest Cleveland, but still.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

My Pittsburgh area relatives detest Philadelphia. Not as much as they detest Cleveland, but still.
                Isn't Cleveland closer to Pittsburgh than Philadelphia?

Comment

• A shaky start to tonight's game already with Wheeler throwing 30 or so pitches and allowing 2 early runs (though at least he left them loaded and prevented more.)

Comment

Isn't Cleveland closer to Pittsburgh than Philadelphia?
                    Yes it is.

Comment

• Mets lose big here. McNeil looks like he really hurt his hamstring trying to leg out a close infield play which probably means goody bye for the season.

Comment

Mets lose big here. McNeil looks like he really hurt his hamstring trying to leg out a close infield play which probably means goody bye for the season.
                        Hopefully it's not anything season-ending, but these are the Mets...

Comment

Hopefully it's not anything season-ending, but these are the Mets...
                          Even a short stint on the IL will kill this team. He is 1/2 of the reason why they have been doing as well as they have.

Comment

• "It didn't feel great, I don't think it's terrible...I guess we'll see how it feels in the morning...it wasn't terrible, it's just a little snag."

--McNeil postgame

Between that and the fact he walked off under his own power, hopefully it's "just" a cramp or "just a little snag" like he says.

But, again, it's the Mets.

Comment

1. Remember when the Braves were in the NL West?
                              Those were the days; Atlanta and Cincinnati in the West, and Chicago and St. Louis in the East. Didn't anybody look at a map, for FFS?

They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

"It didn't feel great, I don't think it's terrible...I guess we'll see how it feels in the morning...it wasn't terrible, it's just a little snag."

--McNeil postgame

Between that and the fact he walked off under his own power, hopefully it's "just" a cramp or "just a little snag" like he says.

But, again, it's the Mets.
                                Its not a cramp -- If you ever pulled your hamstring you know the difference between a pull and a cramp. They dont feel anything alike. Being that he said it snagged -- its pulled. It is just a matter of how bad it is.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X