This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    On the Cy Young award -- its up for grabs at this point. I dont think anyone is walking away with it especially on 8/19.

Can Jake win it? Yes but he better close out the season in a big way.

How come nobody mentioned Kershaw? 12-2 2.63 ERA with a 158 ERA+. Right there with Jake in 2 of the 3 and burying him in the W/L category. I still think wins/losses count.

If Jake doesnt pitch well enough to win it I am hoping Kershaw does.
    Hyun-Jin Ryu has it all but locked up baring an historic collapse. Ryu is having a year comparable to Pedro Martinez 1999-2000 season.

148.1 IP
    1.64 ERA
    0.94 WHIP
    254 ERA+

DeGrom now:

155 IP
    2.61 ERA
    1.05 WHIP
    159 ERA+

The only argument against Ryu might be innings pitched, as he's on-pace for 191 innings. But DeGrom is on-pace for just 204 innings himself. You can't let 13 innings overpower a full 100 points in ERA+.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post

Hyun-Jin Ryu has it all but locked up baring an historic collapse. Ryu is having a year comparable to Pedro Martinez 1999-2000 season.

148.1 IP
      1.64 ERA
      0.94 WHIP
      254 ERA+

DeGrom now:

155 IP
      2.61 ERA
      1.05 WHIP
      159 ERA+

The only argument against Ryu might be innings pitched, as he's on-pace for 191 innings. But DeGrom is on-pace for just 204 innings himself. You can't let 13 innings overpower a full 100 points in ERA+.
      Good points.

The basis for my "up for grabs" comment was that Ryu hasnt pitched this many innings in 5 years and I wonder if he is going to hit a wall. Agreed it would have to be an epic collapse.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post

148.1 IP
        1.64 ERA
        0.94 WHIP
        254 ERA+

DeGrom now:

155 IP
        2.61 ERA
        1.05 WHIP
        159 ERA+

Ryu is the front runner. He has one IL stint so far this year. If he stays off the IL the rest of the year and his last start was an anomaly he is the one to beat.

Comment

• The Mets family lost Al Jackson today . He played for them from opening day 1962 into the 1969 season . Sadly , he missed the miracle run.

In 1962 he was 8-20 on a team that was 40-120. Instead of being negative , Al said “ I must be doing something right since Casey runs me out there every 5 days “

RIP to one of the good guys .
          Last edited by mandrake; 08-19-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
            The Mets family lost Al Jackson today . He played for them from opening day 1962 into the 1969 season . Sadly , he missed the miracle run.

In 1962 he was 8-20 on a team that was 40-120. Instead of being negative , Al said “ I must be doing something right since Casey runs me out there every 5 days “

RIP to one of the good guys .
            He was a really nice guy. When I was a kid, I sent an index card to him asking for an autograph and got back a letter written by him, an autographed photo and some Mets swag. He was one of the good guys from a bygone era and will be missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

He was a really nice guy. When I was a kid, I sent an index card to him asking for an autograph and got back a letter written by him, an autographed photo and some Mets swag. He was one of the good guys from a bygone era and will be missed.
              It’s nice to agree on things !

I was very young when an uncle of mine took me to a Mets DH . Very little memory of it; a lot of my cousins , sitting in LF box , hot sunny day .

The Mets pitcher in game one was Al Kaclson . The Cardinals pitcher enters the game 3-5 ; Bob Gibson in his 1.12 era season . It started a 15 or 16 game winning streak for Gibson.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...96806021.shtml

Comment

It’s nice to agree on things !

I was very young when an uncle of mine took me to a Mets DH . Very little memory of it; a lot of my cousins , sitting in LF box , hot sunny day .

The Mets pitcher in game one was Al Kaclson . The Cardinals pitcher enters the game 3-5 ; Bob Gibson in his 1.12 era season . It started a 15 or 16 game winning streak for Gibson.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...96806021.shtml
                Hey, we are both Mets fans, so there will always be common ground even if there is a philosophical difference! My heroes will always be the '86 team, but I got to meet a lot of the '69 team growing up and have always been very into the history of the franchise.

I never had the pleasure of seeing Bob Gibson pitch. That must have been quite a treat! I only know Gibson from my subscription to Baseball Digest and going to baseball card shows when I was a kid.
                Last edited by jjpm74; 08-19-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Hey, we are both Mets fans, so there will always be common ground even if there is a philosophical difference! My heroes will always be the '86 team, but I got to meet a lot of the '69 team growing up and have always been very into the history of the franchise.

I never had the pleasure of seeing Bob Gibson pitch. That must have been quite a treat! I only know Gibson from my subscription to Baseball Digest and going to baseball card shows when I was a kid.
                  While I don’t remember much about that DH , by the next season I was fully immersed in the Mets .

Seeing Gibson or Marichal or Carlton pitch , especially against Seaver , was a thrill . Back then when an opposing pitcher came
                  out of a game and he had pitched well , fans applauded and he tipped his hat . Today fans boo and yell obscenities at him ! We never booed Mays or Aaron or Clemente or Stargell - that stuff probably started with Pete Rose after the ‘73 NLCS .

Comment

While I don’t remember much about that DH , by the next season I was fully immersed in the Mets .

Seeing Gibson or Marichal or Carlton pitch , especially against Seaver , was a thrill . Back then when an opposing pitcher came
                    out of a game and he had pitched well , fans applauded and he tipped his hat . Today fans boo and yell obscenities at him ! We never booed Mays or Aaron or Clemente or Stargell - that stuff probably started with Pete Rose after the ‘73 NLCS .
                    I mentioned this week at some point in regards to the booing.

Do you boo?

When I was a kid I probably went to 10-15 games a season through the very lean years, and cant remember booing anyone...ever. This includes the opposition. I never saw the point. I didnt think Greg Luzinski would really care if approved or not of his 2nd homer of the day. As far as booing players on the Mets - again never even considered it. Players know if they play like $ hit or not. They are fully aware they dont need me to tell them.

I see during games when they pan the crowd people standing up and booing or like you said screaming obscenities..........this is at home games for the player because he had a crappy day. We have seen it this year with Diaz.

I dont get it.

Comment

Do you boo?

When I was a kid I probably went to 10-15 games a season through the very lean years, and cant remember booing anyone...ever. This includes the opposition. I never saw the point. I didnt think Greg Luzinski would really care if approved or not of his 2nd homer of the day. As far as booing players on the Mets - again never even considered it. Players know if they play like $ hit or not. They are fully aware they dont need me to tell them.

I see during games when they pan the crowd people standing up and booing or like you said screaming obscenities..........this is at home games for the player because he had a crappy day. We have seen it this year with Diaz.

I dont get it.
                      When a player came in and stunk it up on the mound in a game where the team was winning, they have always been booed, at least in the 40 odd years I've been going to baseball games. Mets fans have always been tamer in terms of the foul mouth than Yankee fans, though. I remember as a kid going to a Yankee game where Reggie Jackson was playing for the Angels and the fans next to me were shouting like sailors at him the entire game. This was out in the bleachers.

As far as booing myself, I don't recall ever booing anyone.

Slightly off topic, but Diaz seems to be just throwing the ball as hard as he cam instead of trying to locate pitches. That is why he is stinking it up this year. When he came in in the 9th when the Mets went from 10-4 to 10-8, he walked his first batter on 4 pitches that weren't even close. I was worried he was going to just groove one down the middle after that and cough up a 2 run home run like he did in the past. Instead, he threw another ball, but rallied and got the last guy out for the team to win the game. Maybe that will give him a little more confidence. He has good stuff, but seems to be too much of a head case.

Comment

Do you boo?

I dont get it.
                        It did happen back in the day. Example that comes to mind - very late in the 1970 season, the Mets were chasing Pittsburgh and there was a Sunday home doubleheader that they absolutely had to have. Koosman had been pitching better than Seaver and got the start in Game 1 which was a big surprise. He pitched a gem and won. Then Seaver started Game 2, left trailing 5-2 and absolutely got booed off the mound. The Mets tied it but lost in extras.

Half a century ago but except for not playing doubleheaders anymore, the whole thing has a familiar feel to it.

Comment

out of a game and he had pitched well , fans applauded and he tipped his hat .
                          Today fans boo and yell obscenities at him ! We never booed Mays or Aaron or Clemente or Stargell - that stuff probably started with Pete Rose after the ‘73 NLCS .
                          Agreed, but I think that these days, by and large a starter that is pitching well will finish the inning. They tend to come out between innings, for pitch count reasons or when trailing and their turn at bat rolls around.

Comment

• I
                            Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

It did happen back in the day. Example that comes to mind - very late in the 1970 season, the Mets were chasing Pittsburgh and there was a Sunday home doubleheader that they absolutely had to have. Koosman had been pitching better than Seaver and got the start in Game 1 which was a big surprise. He pitched a gem and won. Then Seaver started Game 2, left trailing 5-2 and absolutely got booed off the mound. The Mets tied it but lost in extras.

Half a century ago but except for not playing doubleheaders anymore, the whole thing has a familiar feel to it.
                            In 2009 I took my dad to his first Yankee game. The suits set us up behind the plate in front of the black curtain , even though I paid $15 on stub hub for LF seats . My dad hates the NYY from the 1941 WS to this day . He said he would sit there and behave .

Damon got 5 hits that game, but the bigger deal was Mariano got lit up and gave up 2 homers in the 9th and they lost .The idiots booed him without mercy . My dad turned to me and said “this is why I hate the Yankees , booing a hall of famer for a bad inning “. He reminded me that Musial , a Dodger killer , was never booed at Ebbets Field .

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

On the other hand , when was the last time you saw an opposing pitcher applauded when he left ?
                              Jim Bunning , before my time , had the crowd on their feet seemingly rooting FOR his perfect game . Not happening in MLB today .

Comment

When a player came in and stunk it up on the mound in a game where the team was winning, they have always been booed, at least in the 40 odd years I've been going to baseball games. Mets fans have always been tamer in terms of the foul mouth than Yankee fans, though. I remember as a kid going to a Yankee game where Reggie Jackson was playing for the Angels and the fans next to me were shouting like sailors at him the entire game. This was out in the bleachers.

As far as booing myself, I don't recall ever booing anyone.

Slightly off topic, but Diaz seems to be just throwing the ball as hard as he cam instead of trying to locate pitches. That is why he is stinking it up this year. When he came in in the 9th when the Mets went from 10-4 to 10-8, he walked his first batter on 4 pitches that weren't even close. I was worried he was going to just groove one down the middle after that and cough up a 2 run home run like he did in the past. Instead, he threw another ball, but rallied and got the last guy out for the team to win the game. Maybe that will give him a little more confidence. He has good stuff, but seems to be too much of a head case.
                                I know players get booed - I hear it when it happens.

My question (which you answered) is do you boo? Like I said I never saw the point. Worse yet is cursing at a player. I was a Met/Nats game a couple of years ago and the fans were merciless on Bryce Harper. It was embarrassing. Now Bryce can enjoy it from the scum that sits in Philadelphia at his home games. Philadelphia fans are other worldly when it comes to lack of class. They are passionate about their teams but class is left in the car.

Fans will say "I paid for my ticket - I have the right" I guess they are correct to some point.

Or the worst is "He gets paid millions of dollars so if he makes a mistake................." Ignorant fans somehow equate the players salary with their rationalization to boo or curse at the guy.

This is not just Yankee, fans or Met fans but there are a lot of fan bases........maybe all of them to some degree.
                                Last edited by Paulypal; 08-20-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X