Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geez -- how about the most important thing about that homer was that it gave them the lead.

F the numbers right now - its about winning and losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
      Gonna say it right now--

When they put McNeil back into the lineup it should be at 3B. Frazier's cold and Lagares is HOT right now, keep him in.
      So its Frazier or Lagares?

I'll take players that shouldnt be playing for $200 Alex.

Comment

• The announcers are going after Davis. But how can you be surprised? 99% of players are not as fast as Billy Hamilton and wouldn’t have scored.

And Davis isn’t a good outfielder; we saw that all season. Davis played in the infield for about 90-95% of his MLB and minor league career before 2019. They know they’re not getting a defensive wizard with him, nor is it fair to expect it when you play a guy out of position

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
          I think we can all agree the uniforms this weekend are terrible.
          The Braves in black look like ants in the field. Add the umps in black and it looks like there are too many fielders in play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

So its Frazier or Lagares?

I'll take players that shouldnt be playing for $200 Alex.
            Oh come on, he's been hot lately and has 2 doubles and 2 runs tonight. Long-term, sure, but right now, when you're hot, you're hot, and Lagares undeniably is--and he should be playing as long as he is.

Edit: AND he just had a nice jumping catch in the outfield to save an extra base hit. Again, come 2020, it's a different story, but for now, if I'm managing, I'm keeping Lagares in the lineup until he plays his way back out of it...which is entirely possible. But ride that hot streak while you can.

Meanwhile, the Mets have Mets-ed, blown the lead, Diaz has given up another bomb, and hurt or no, he continues to be the whipping boy of Mets fans everywhere.

Barring a turnaround, between these two games and the one they lost in the last series when Mickey pulled Matz too early, that's three big winnable games they'll have dropped to the Braves...
            Last edited by Shea Knight; 08-24-2019, 07:13 PM.
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Good to see McNeil rejoin the lineup like he never left it with a double and a single in two plate appearances.

But that was a bad loss. The Mets had rebounded nicely with that 5-game winning streak, but the Braves keep proving our kryptonite.
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Oh come on, he's been hot lately and has 2 doubles and 2 runs tonight. Long-term, sure, but right now, when you're hot, you're hot, and Lagares undeniably is--and he should be playing as long as he is.

Edit: AND he just had a nice jumping catch in the outfield to save an extra base hit. Again, come 2020, it's a different story, but for now, if I'm managing, I'm keeping Lagares in the lineup until he plays his way back out of it...which is entirely possible. But ride that hot streak while you can.

Meanwhile, the Mets have Mets-ed, blown the lead, Diaz has given up another bomb, and hurt or no, he continues to be the whipping boy of Mets fans everywhere.

Barring a turnaround, between these two games and the one they lost in the last series when Mickey pulled Matz too early, that's three big winnable games they'll have dropped to the Braves...
                Waiting for the fireworks. Lagares was good tonight! Wasn’t expecting a win against the Braves. Maybe no sweep tomorrow.

Comment

\
                  As far as the young core............I am in the minority but I am holding off before I deem some of them core players for years to come. Especially J D Davis. He has been excellent but he has huge holes defensively and we still don't know what he is with the bat. Rosario has improved very quickly after muddling as an absolute $ hit player for over 2 years.
                  They are the core RIGHT NOW. I don't care about years from now.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
                    The announcers are going after Davis. But how can you be surprised? 99% of players are not as fast as Billy Hamilton and wouldn’t have scored.

And Davis isn’t a good outfielder; we saw that all season. Davis played in the infield for about 90-95% of his MLB and minor league career before 2019. They know they’re not getting a defensive wizard with him, nor is it fair to expect it when you play a guy out of position
                    Once again, guys playing out of position will cost you. The Mets always seem to want to outsmart everyone and put people where they have little experience.

Comment

Lets start with Joe Benigno ---- he is an idiot. I like him -- seems like a decent guy, but all he is a fan with a talk show. He has no extra knowledge on anything he speaks of. None. Listening to him talk about Mike Trout vs. DJ Lemahieu is absolutely as painful as a root canal with no novocaine.

I don't platoon Nimmo either -- Lagares should have been DFA'd months ago -- two good weeks doesn't change my opinion on that. We have seen this before with Lagares - he is what he is. I can see an early platoon while Nimmo gets his legs under him, but after that Lagares is vapor. Gary Cohen can drool over someone else.

You talked about big market players and Diaz not being one of them -- I don't care if you are in Boise Idaho or standing in Times Square -- if you get booed for everything you do it probably will have an effect. If the ignorant fans have even an inkling that they are having an effect they will continue to do so.

My opinion is most fans are just that fans -- they look at things through a one way pair of glasses. If things don't go there way they just know to boo or blame something ………..anything without knowing who or why. Somehow booing Diaz became the sport of the ignorant --- then complain that he sucks. All of us on this board have blamed various things for the teams bad play, but most of the posters have a clue about baseball and the team.

Diaz has great stuff.....lights out stuff. He has been terrible -- that doesn't mean he is terrible. Without him finding it AGAIN the Mets are going no where. They don't have another closer. Lugo is a good pitcher but …….well his shortcomings I have documented above.

Familia is another guy that has great stuff but his confidence hasn't been the same since he tried to quick pitch Alex Gordon.

As far as the young core............I am in the minority but I am holding off before I deem some of them core players for years to come. Especially J D Davis. He has been excellent but he has huge holes defensively and we still don't know what he is with the bat. Rosario has improved very quickly after muddling as an absolute $ hit player for over 2 years.
                      I have always liked Lagares for his defense and had hoped he could stay healthy and hit enough to justify his defense. Right now he is doing that, he should be playing until his bat cools off.

Rosario was highly hyped and has been an average ML shortstop the 1st 2 years of his career. Looks like he is becoming what was predicted. Lucky because some would have run him out of town only to see him prosper somewhere else.

No matter what happens the rest of the year, I think a reasonable person could think the Mets are a couple of moves away from contending again next year. Diaz has to get his act together and maybe they could send Cano and a big check to the AL to free up a spot for McNeill. I would forget about Cespedes, get an outfielder, at least one supersub (Lowrie if healthy) and a catcher to platoon with Ramos. On the pitching front, keep the staff they have and if Wheeler wants to be paid like a 1 or 2 let him go and sign another starter. Relievers are a crap shoot so I guess you sign a few and see who is healthy that year and keep them.

They should also seriously start rebuilding the farm. Believe it or not they have produced good position players the last few years {Alonso. McNeill, Rosario) but their AAA team is more of a rest home for washed up players than a place to pick budding talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
                        The announcers are going after Davis. But how can you be surprised? 99% of players are not as fast as Billy Hamilton and wouldn’t have scored.

You can expect even a bad outfielder to throw the ball back in cant you? The lack of awareness and then the double pump holding the ball is absurd and there is no excuse or reason for it. That is not a matter of playing out of position.

Maybe he forgot there was a base runner.

Just a bad defender.

Comment

Everyone wanted him DFA'd for the past 2 years and now he is playing better and now we keep him.

That is until he plays like crap again and then we DFA him again.

I don't base my opinions on "hot lately". Lagares has no right being here - he sucked for years and now somehow this is the payoff for waiting 3 years. Nope.

Diaz is so far off on his location it is amazing. On the homer to Freeman the catcher was almost standing to give him a high target and the pitch was right down the middle of the plate. He missed by a foot at least.

Mickey didn't pull Matz to early. Fast forward to the next start when he left him to pitch the 7th and had to go get him after two batters because Matz was done. So maybe he pulled Matz at the right time. I didn't read anything like that on here, and that is coming from someone that wanted Callaway gone after his first press conference, but I am not going to blame him for something that he may be right on.
                          Last edited by Paulypal; 08-25-2019, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

They are the core RIGHT NOW. I don't care about years from now.
                            Well some of the core RIGHT NOW cant play defense, and has cost them at least a few games. That is being kind.
                            Last edited by Paulypal; 08-25-2019, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

I have always liked Lagares for his defense and had hoped he could stay healthy and hit enough to justify his defense. Right now he is doing that, he should be playing until his bat cools off.

Rosario was highly hyped and has been an average ML shortstop the 1st 2 years of his career. Looks like he is becoming what was predicted. Lucky because some would have run him out of town only to see him prosper somewhere else.

No matter what happens the rest of the year, I think a reasonable person could think the Mets are a couple of moves away from contending again next year. Diaz has to get his act together and maybe they could send Cano and a big check to the AL to free up a spot for McNeill. I would forget about Cespedes, get an outfielder, at least one supersub (Lowrie if healthy) and a catcher to platoon with Ramos. On the pitching front, keep the staff they have and if Wheeler wants to be paid like a 1 or 2 let him go and sign another starter. Relievers are a crap shoot so I guess you sign a few and see who is healthy that year and keep them.

They should also seriously start rebuilding the farm. Believe it or not they have produced good position players the last few years {Alonso. McNeill, Rosario) but their AAA team is more of a rest home for washed up players than a place to pick budding talent.
                              I will say again - Lagares should have been gone months....maybe years ago. Everyone wanted him DFA'd but now that he is hitting he some how has a spot on the team. Good thing we only waited 3 years for him to hit for a week.

Admitted I would have listened to offers for Rosario. Something clicked with him the last two months or so and he looks like a different player. One with actual bat speed. Should we be sold on Rosario?

As far as your opinion about them being a couple of moves away. Maybe, but those are big moves - not Jed Lowrie moves.

I totally agree on your assessment about the farm system - it has become a washed up player final resting place.

One thing that has become really apparent this season and carried straight through to last nights game is that their defense is hideous. They are 14th of 15 in team defense. On Fangraphs they are 27th of 30 teams with a -30 DSR. Do you think they could have used those 30 extra runs somewhere.

Defense is completely overlooked, but it totally destroys the pitching staff. Giving 4-5 outs in an inning equals losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Waiting for the fireworks. Lagares was good tonight! Wasn’t expecting a win against the Braves. Maybe no sweep tomorrow.
                                Why weren't you expecting a win?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X