2019 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

If they come back to win, it would be the biggest deficit they've ever overcome in franchise history.
    Then Diaz will give up a key home run. The other team scores two, they'll score one. The other team scores eleven, they'll score ten.

Let them prove me wrong.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Mets lose 10-7, tried to make it interesting at the end, blah blah blah

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

Tom Glavine seems to have shown up in a blond wig.
        Oh my.

Mickey just said Noah "battled."

https://twitter.com/MattEhalt/status...07112892575752
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Shades of Art Howe

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Then Diaz will give up a key home run. The other team scores two, they'll score one. The other team scores eleven, they'll score ten.

Let them prove me wrong.
            Diaz was dominant last night. One more outing like that then he needs to go back into the 9th inning role.

Lugo isn't the answer at closer.

30 games left so if they are going to do anything they must be the Cubs today. Jake is on the mound so I like the Mets chances.

If they lose a Jake start for a 6th loss in a row, go 5 games back, get caught by the Diamondbacks - it is going to be a long climb or an impossible one.

Bad enough the Brewers past the Mets.
            Last edited by Paulypal; 08-29-2019, 04:52 AM.

Comment

The irony of that season is that Kevin McReynolds had such a good year that he actually took 3rd in the MVP voting behind Strawberry. Stawberry should have won the MVP that year and the Mets should have won the World Series.
              I don't know if they "should have" won the WS. The A's were excellent that year. The Dodgers were pretty good too as they rode Hershiser all the way through.

I do remember a certain Met announcer pitching like $ hit in game 7 against the Dodgers.

I never say a team should have won when they lost. A lot of teams can say they should have won that didn't.

With that said -- Strawberry was the MVP - the writers looked for every excuse to give it to Gibson. They used the Straw/Mac split as the excuse.

Comment

Alonso will either win it or at worst finish in the top 3 in voting. I was speaking more to the complaints of homerism form redban. Alonso has done something that no one, not Strawberry, Wright, Piazza, Beltran or Hundley have done as a Met, so of course Gary, Keith and Ron who are not just announcers, but fans of the team and the game are going to sing his praises. He deserves the praise for what he has achieved this year as a rookie. Whether he turns into a future HOFer, perennial All Star or Adam Dunn, time will tell. This year, what he has done is special.

A agree that he needs to keep his head on straight. If he does, he will be the team leader moving forward. Whatever happens with him this year, I love his enthusiasm. We haven't seen this level of enthusiasm among the young players since the prime years of Wright and Reyes. McNeil, Alonso and JD Davis have been must watch baseball this year and are all under team control for years to come. Whether or not they go on to be super stars, they look like a great core to this team to build around moving forward if nothing else.
                Agreed. The thing is he still has 30+ games left to add on to the number.

I am not fan of homerism, but I get that they have to play to the audience on certain events and breaking the homer record on a team that has a hideous history.........ok talk it up a bit.

Now its over -- now its about beating the Cubs and winning.

When he hit #41 it was 3 run shot that put the Mets up 5-4. All that was talked about on the air and this board was about it tying the Met HR record, and it was 100th RBI. Not much about it gave the Mets the lead in the game that they needed to win.

Comment

• I hear rumors that Cano might come back in mid-late September.

Let's hope they shut him down asap. Bringing that 60 OPS+ back in the lineup right now is no good.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
                    I hear rumors that Cano might come back in mid-late September.

Let's hope they shut him down asap. Bringing that 60 OPS+ back in the lineup right now is no good.
                    That would be 88 but what is being off 47% amongst friends.

Too bad about Cano's season is that both times he showed signs of life he was injured. I still think he can hit and he will. I look forward to him coming back and seeing what he has. By the time he comes back odds are the Mets will spectators for the balance of the games played as far as playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

That would be 88 but what is being off 47% amongst friends.

Too bad about Cano's season is that both times he showed signs of life he was injured. I still think he can hit and he will. I look forward to him coming back and seeing what he has. By the time he comes back odds are the Mets will spectators for the balance of the games played as far as playoffs.
                      He was around 60 OPS+ for a while; he just had a hot streak right before leaving (you went and looked it up to see 88 OPS+, didn't you). 88 OPS+ is still bad anyways. His OBP is .295. He would hurt the team more than help.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post

He was around 60 OPS+ for a while; he just had a hot streak right before leaving (you went and looked it up to see 88 OPS+, didn't you). 88 OPS+ is still bad anyways. His OBP is .295. He would hurt the team more than help.
                        I agree with you. Cano has been a disaster.

Yes I did look it up because 60 just sounded too low.

I do believe, maybe stupidly, that he can still hit, and if we look objectively he was hitting when he was IL'd. Would it have amounted to anything substantial? I dont know......maybe not.

I do know this that if we want the Mets to win he needs to hit because he is playing ........everyday.
                        Last edited by Paulypal; 08-29-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Nimmo and Lowrie(!) playing in Syracuse. I'd rather shut Nimmo down than bring him back, if there's any risk to his spine. Realistically, the season's a write-off, and risking Nimmo's future to draw a few extra fans this September would be crazy.

But I know which one Fred and Jeff would pick.

Funny, but I have no idea why Lowrie missed the whole season, so far. I don't recall the Mets being very specific about it: something about problems with his whole left side. Initially it was a hamstring, then a calf, then it got murky. Anyone catch an announcement I missed?

Comment

• Lester's given up 4 hits and 3 walks in 3 innings. The Mets have scored 1 run. Where's all the offense from yesterday, now that it's needed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                              Lester's given up 4 hits and 3 walks in 3 innings. The Mets have scored 1 run. Where's all the offense from yesterday, now that it's needed?
                              The Mets offense takes the night off whenever deGrom pitches.

Comment

• Caratini has pretty hammered the final nail into the coffin that was the 2019 Mets season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X