This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Yeah no kidding, but they wont. Unless you think McNeil is going to hit .366 and Alonso .375. Your are taking the early results and multiplying by a season. Its a mistake. These guys are going to hit slumps and look horrible. Depth wins seasons.

I don't want Alonso on the bench while he is hitting like he is. When he cools off and Sling Blade starts Smith...fine for a game or so.

There is plenty of room on this roster for Lowrie to get a full slate of at bats. They Mets don't have a star on the team that cant take a seat. Unless they are hot hitting …..as we said Alonso.
    That last part is the key for me.

Neither one of us are taking out Alonso, and if it were up to me, I wouldn't take out McNeil, either. Let either of them hit themselves out of the lineup, which (for the most part) I don't think McNeil will do, given the sample size so far from last year and the start to this one, and then there's Alonso off to the start he's having...

There are only four outfield slots, though--who's sitting, then?

I doubt they sit Cano with the money they're paying him, and while he's slumping, he obviously has a large enough body of work to make you think he'll break out of it eventually.

That leaves Rosario--and while I think I read about them getting Frazier some practice at shortstop, I don't think either of us think Frazier's playing there...you could put Lowrie there, and split time with Rosario, but then how much to you balance developing a guy they've long thought is one of their best prospects vs. playing a guy with years of experience at the position?

Again, not a bad problem to have, I'm just saying, we'd both rather guys hit their way off the field rather than split time more arbitrarily.

Meanwhile, 15 games in and the Braves, Phillies, and Mets are tied at 9-6 with the Nationals sitting at 7-7 and the Mets and Phils ready to start a series tomorrow.

On the one hand, that's as close everyone predicted; on the other hand, that's precisely why taking this series would've been a good way for this team to assert itself early on.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

That last part is the key for me.

Neither one of us are taking out Alonso, and if it were up to me, I wouldn't take out McNeil, either. Let either of them hit themselves out of the lineup, which (for the most part) I don't think McNeil will do, given the sample size so far from last year and the start to this one, and then there's Alonso off to the start he's having...

There are only four outfield slots, though--who's sitting, then?

I doubt they sit Cano with the money they're paying him, and while he's slumping, he obviously has a large enough body of work to make you think he'll break out of it eventually.

That leaves Rosario--and while I think I read about them getting Frazier some practice at shortstop, I don't think either of us think Frazier's playing there...you could put Lowrie there, and split time with Rosario, but then how much to you balance developing a guy they've long thought is one of their best prospects vs. playing a guy with years of experience at the position?

Again, not a bad problem to have, I'm just saying, we'd both rather guys hit their way off the field rather than split time more arbitrarily.

Meanwhile, 15 games in and the Braves, Phillies, and Mets are tied at 9-6 with the Nationals sitting at 7-7 and the Mets and Phils ready to start a series tomorrow.

On the one hand, that's as close everyone predicted; on the other hand, that's precisely why taking this series would've been a good way for this team to assert itself early on.
      They key for you yes........but they are not going to be hitting all year.

So then that its for you....the lineup is set and done. I dont feel that way. I know the bench is going to have to be utilized in a big way. Lowrie will get plenty of at bats...justified at bats.

If Frazier plays SS - it will be time to turn the game off.

Comment

Not nearly as bad as last time, but the second straight un-deGrom-ian outing, only 5 innings, 3 runs allowed, 4 walks, he did still have 9 strikeouts...a lot of deep counts and foul balls.
        As discussed over the off season .. 2019 will not be 2018 for deGrom.

deGrom will be fine, but the probable fact is that 2018 will be his career year and maybe he never gets close to it again. He can still be good and not get near 2018.

Comment

• DeGrom's last 2 starts:
          • 9.0 IP
          • 9.00 ERA
          • 12 K
          • 13 Hits
          • 5 HR
          • .342 Opponent's batting average

Vargas in 2 starts and 1 relief appearance:
          • 6.1 IP
          • 14.21 ERA
          • 14 Hits
          • 2 HR
          • .438 Opponent's batting average

The point I'm making here is that any pitcher can have a bad 6-10 innings pitched.

Vargas deserves more time and opportunity to show he still has something.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
            DeGrom's last 2 starts:
            • 9.0 IP
            • 9.00 ERA
            • 12 K
            • 13 Hits
            • 5 HR

• 6.1 IP
            • 14.21 ERA
            • 14 Hits
            • 2 HR

The point I'm making here is that any pitcher can have a bad 6-10 innings pitched.

6-10 bad innings pitched? Have you been watching?

I guess we will just forget about the WHOLE 2018 season to get an opinion on Vargas.

No disrespect but putting Vargas' numbers next to deGrom is completely absurd. I actually have a hard time you believe your own post and may be just playing devils advocate or being sarcastic. That is my hope.

Vargas has pitched like garbage since July 2017 through his last start.

Comment

• This bullpen is terrible.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• The Mets win the damn game!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                  The Mets win the damn game!

McNeil with another multi-hit game. Nimmo already has an OPS of .842, slow start and all.

At this rate, Diaz, Lugo, Gsellman will be burned out by June.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
                    DeGrom's last 2 starts:
                    • 9.0 IP
                    • 9.00 ERA
                    • 12 K
                    • 13 Hits
                    • 5 HR

• 6.1 IP
                    • 14.21 ERA
                    • 14 Hits
                    • 2 HR

The key word there is "deserves."

Jacob deGrom won the Cy Young last year with one of the best ERA years since Bob Gibson AND tied Bob Gibson's quality start streak.

THAT is a guy who "deserves" more time.

Jason Vargas is a guy with a career 93-90 record, a career ERA over 4.00 and, a career WAR under par. EDIT: No, I'm an idiot, lol, he's under par this year, for his career his WAR's 15.5.

THAT is a guy who's the definition of mediocrity. And, hey--a mediocre MLB pitcher is far more than 90% of us could ever do.

But that isn't a guy who "deserves" the benefit of the doubt on a team in a tight four-team race for the division.
                    Not when he implodes.
                    Not like that.
                    Not this year.

I missed most of last night's game since I'd been up for hours watching the news about the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral (that's just a tragedy, everyone I talked to yesterday just couldn't believe it, at least those famous towers and the outer structure survived) and woke up literally just in time to see the game-winning hit/error.

Looking at the box score, McNeil got another 3 hits...and is sitting at .404, lol. He's not going to keep that up, but I'll say it again--if the Mets take him out before this hot streak cools, they're nuts. Ride that while you can.
                    Last edited by Shea Knight; 04-17-2019, 03:03 AM.
                    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Diaz was sick last night. Harper/Hoskins/Realmuto didnt have a chance.

I was out last night and when I turned the game on in my car the Phils had just tied the game. Both radio announcers were questioning why Slinger didnt bring in Diaz for a 4 out save. Howie was pretty adamant about it.

Today I just read that Sling Blade said Diaz will only be used for 3 outs. I cant blame Sling alone as this is probably coming from over his head, but WTF?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        The Mets win the damn game!

A loss last year. They can hit.
                        Would love it if they could pitch and hit though.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

A loss last year. They can hit.
                          Would love it if they could pitch and hit though.
                          deGrom and Syndergaard won't pitch like they did their past couple of starts. Hopefully what Wheeler and Matz did in their last starts is indicative of who they are...and that deGrom and Syndergaard's last couple of outings were flukes (otherwise, we're not going anywhere anyway.) I still feel confident in them.

But yes--they can hit. Especially Alonso and McNeil. For now. Let's hope.

Comment

deGrom and Syndergaard won't pitch like they did their past couple of starts. Hopefully what Wheeler and Matz did in their last starts is indicative of who they are...and that deGrom and Syndergaard's last couple of outings were flukes (otherwise, we're not going anywhere anyway.) I still feel confident in them.

But yes--they can hit. Especially Alonso and McNeil. For now. Let's hope.
                            Jury is still out on the offense. Its April 16th. The Mets were 12-3 this time last year and some were buying playoff tickets.

We all have to like what we see so far, but we dont know what we have yet. McNeil and Alonso look great so far, and Alonso has hit some impressive missiles all over the place, but can we really say - he is our first basemen for the next decade? No.

Word of caution -- across town Luke Voit was all the rage at the end of 2018, but the league is catching up.

As far as Noah is concerned.......here is my question..........When? 3 years ago I thought Noah was going to be the best of the bunch by far. In 2016 I thought that was the start of something big. When are we going to see a full season of that dominant guy we thought we had. The stuff is there, but is it there between the ears??

deGrom has it in his arm and in his head......the jury is out on Noah.

I think Noah has grown up from that guy two years ago that refused an MRI that cost him the 2017 season, but to be a thinker on the mound is another level.

Anyway.........all in all -------- It is a good start but way too early to come to any conclusion about any of it as far who going to be a hitter.
                            Last edited by Paulypal; 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I don't recommend watching tonight's start by Steven Matz.

Comment

• Well this one is over.

Guess it’s NBA tonight.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X