No announcement yet.

2019 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Cano can still play the game! Who cares what he can do in 3 years1

Comment

The Mets have a 46% chance of making the playoffs:
      https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...dictions/mets/
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
        Looks like Cano can still play the game! Who cares what he can do in 3 years1
        My point exactly.

Besides his homer and 2 RBI's (the only 2 BTW) he made play at second catching Robles in run down going home.

Save from Diaz also. Thank you Seattle for dumping. Today at least anyway

Comment

"Romero never made any contortions, always it was straight and pure and natural in line. The others twisted themselves like corkscrews, their elbows raised, and leaned against the flanks of the bull after his horns had passed, to give a faked look of danger. Afterward, all that was faked turned bad and gave an unpleasant feeling. Romero's bull-fighting gave real emotion, because he kept the absolute purity of line in his movements and always quietly and calmly let the horns pass him close each time. He did not have to emphasize their closeness. Brett saw how something that was beautiful done close to the bull was ridiculous if it were done a little way off. I told her how since the death of Joselito all the bull-fighters had been developing a technic that simulated this appearance of danger in order to give a fake emotional feeling, while the bull-fighter was really safe. Romero had the old thing, the holding of his purity of line through the maximum of exposure..."

--Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises (of course)

Jacob deGrom has that Hemingway-esque bullfighting touch on the mound.

Nothing fake, never panics, and when the danger's on, he holds that "purity of line through the maximum of exposure" as good as anyone I've ever seen.

The only pitcher I've ever seen who's MORE fun when he's in danger.

Great pitchers' duel, good to see deGrom get a win to start the year, good to see Cano start strong with the Mets, good to see Alonso get a hit his first day, good to see McNeil still playing good defense with that diving catch at third...

Good day all around.

Now let's just do it 161 more times. To start. With a few more hits and few fewer strikeouts, lol.
          Last edited by Shea Knight; 03-28-2019, 01:22 PM.
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
            There is a 100% chance I will ignore what they say.

Comment

As with the last season, lemme know in June...

That said, a good point on the telecast--a lot of games against Nats, Braves, and Phils early. If the Mets ARE gonna at least give the semblance of making the year count past June, the time to prove it is here and now.

Prove to me they can take 2 out of 3 against the Nats. Don't let the Marlins give us problems while being a doormat like in other seasons. And then come back and take 2 of 3 against the Nats a second time.

For as fun as the streak was last year before...the other 90% of last year...

Consistency, consistency, consistency.

ESPECIALLY against the Nats, Braves, and Phils, since even if we can't get the division, there's a strong chance the NL East will get at least 1 WC team this year, and if this division plays out the way many are expecting, that WILL in large part come down to who plays better against whom within the division and thus against fellow competitors for that second and possibly 3rd playoff spot.
              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

As with the last season, lemme know in June...

That said, a good point on the telecast--a lot of games against Nats, Braves, and Phils early. If the Mets ARE gonna at least give the semblance of making the year count past June, the time to prove it is here and now.

Prove to me they can take 2 out of 3 against the Nats. Don't let the Marlins give us problems while being a doormat like in other seasons. And then come back and take 2 of 3 against the Nats a second time.

For as fun as the streak was last year before...the other 90% of last year...

Consistency, consistency, consistency.

ESPECIALLY against the Nats, Braves, and Phils, since even if we can't get the division, there's a strong chance the NL East will get at least 1 WC team this year, and if this division plays out the way many are expecting, that WILL in large part come down to who plays better against whom within the division and thus against fellow competitors for that second and possibly 3rd playoff spot.
                They can sweep the Nats, sweep the Marlins, and sweep the Nats again. It doesnt matter much.

Its a long season. What we can take from today is that deGrom is awesome as always. Besides that we know nothing about the season.

deGrom was great today but if not for Cano - they lose. He drove in the only two and saved a run with his arm. So we cant take anything away from today besides the one win and the Mets have the best pitcher in baseball.

Tomorrow is a different day.

Comment

Mets did what they do well: win opening day!

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                    Mets did what they do well: win opening day!
                    Yep, it's just those pesky 161 other games that get in the way for us, lol...

Comment

Mets abandon upstate radio network for 2019 season
                      https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...n-13727103.php

Comment

Mets abandon upstate radio network for 2019 season
                        https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...n-13727103.php
                        Brilliant PR move. They bring their AAA affiliate team to Syracuse, and then pull the plug on their Upstate radio network. You would think they would want to generate as much good will as possible in the area. I live in Utica, about 50 miles east of Syracuse. This is essentially Yankee country, for every Mets hat, t-shirt or jersey I see in my day-to-day travels, I probably see 10 Yankee accessories. Syracuse is about 300 miles from NYC, I don't think WCBS' signal is that strong.
                        Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 03-30-2019, 08:57 AM.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                          Brilliant PR move. They bring their AAA affiliate team to Syracuse, and then pull the plug on their Upstate radio network. You would think they would want to generate as much good will as possible in the area. I live in Utica, about 50 miles east of Syracuse. This is essentially Yankee country, for every Mets hat, t-shirt or jersey I see in my day-to-day travels, I probably see 10 Yankee accessories. Syracuse if about 300 miles from NYC, I don't think WCBS' signal is that strong.
                          There are things like this that I would never know or find out without reading them on here. I would have no clue about an upstate radio network and what the Mets are doing with it. I also have no idea what other teams are doing with their radio networks so I don't know if this stuff happens or not with other teams.

With that said - this just sounds awfully Met-like....in other words …..stupid. Very little regard for what could be a fan base.

Just glad the games have started. Everyday I get 15 games to keep an eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

With that said - this just sounds awfully Met-like....in other words …..stupid. Very little regard for what could be a fan base.
                            This sounds like the work of Jeff Wilpon, who is King Midas in reverse: everything he touches turns to crap.

Comment

This sounds like the work of Jeff Wilpon, who is King Midas in reverse: everything he touches turns to crap.
                              Good point.

He is now dubbed King Sadim. Midas in reverse.

Comment

Ahhhhh we missed you Mickey Callaway...you and your baseball genius. Should I say Slingblade?

Any reason he didn't pinch run for Ramos in the 8th inning in a tie game? I don't care what happens going forward - its a bone head move by Slingblade.

***Edit JD Davis gets a single with the bases loaded which of course will hide the fact that the manager is a moron.

At least they took they lead and can get more.
                                Last edited by Paulypal; 03-30-2019, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X