2019 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Last June was the worst. Can’t possibly happen again?
    Most analysts have the Mets projected to win between 73 and 77 games this year and finish in 3rd or 4th place. Isn't that what they did last year?

On the positive side, they seem to have more offense than last year and deGrom, Syndergaard and Wheeler all looked fine and I think those three will be dependable this year.
    Last edited by jjpm74; 04-01-2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Most analysts have the Mets projected to win between 73 and 77 games this year and finish in 3rd or 4th place. Isn't that what they did last year?

On the positive side, they seem to have more offense than last year and deGrom, Syndergaard and Wheeler all looked fine and I think those three will be dependable this year.
      Predictions are just that. SI has them at 84, ESPN has five analysts saying they're a WC team. None of that matters. Play .500 on the road and win at home. Stay healthy. Watch the rookie. Marvel at Jake.That's fun.

Comment

Predictions are just that. SI has them at 84, ESPN has five analysts saying they're a WC team. None of that matters. Play .500 on the road and win at home. Stay healthy. Watch the rookie. Marvel at Jake.That's fun.
        The secret of life!!

Comment

https://www.syracuse.com/mets/2019/0...-ceo-says.html

Syracuse, N.Y. -- The New York Mets will be trying to grow their brand in the Syracuse area this season without the strategy of flooding radio broadcasts of their games across the airwaves of Central New York.

The Mets and their radio partner, Entercom Communications, have apparently
          shut down their network across New York state for 2019. The only network that will air radio broadcasts is the team’s flagship station, WCBS, out of New York City.

Ed Levine, president and CEO of Galaxy Communications, confirmed the Mets’ departure in Syracuse and the Central New York area...Levine said he recently received an email from an Entercom official explaining that the company would not be purchasing the satellite time required to distribute the Mets games throughout the state. Levine said he wrote back and expressed his opinion that the cutback was "embarrassing.''..."This is why the Yankees are the Yankees and the Mets are the Mets,'' Levine said. "It’s not like we told the Mets we didn’t want them. They reneged on the deal. They are too cheap to do what every other major league franchise does.''..."To me, they are just giving the middle finger to Syracuse and all of upstate New York,'' Levine said. "They just can’t help shooting themselves in the foot. This is what they do. They put a Triple-A franchise in Syracuse, and the first thing they do is cut off their Syracuse broadcast affiliate. It’s one of those decisions where you’re shaking your head and chuckling.''"

That DOES seem like an incredibly stupid thing to do if you have a AAA minor league affiliate in the very place you're cutting broadcasts...

"This is why the Yankees are the Yankees and the Mets are the Mets."

Indeed.
          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Gotta disagree with Gary on the telecast--

I DO NOT miss the lime green walls (puke green to me) at Marlins Park. It's true, as Gary says, that the park now looks more like it could be anywhere...

But that puke green and the home run gimmick (sorry, "sculpture") made it look more like the most desperately amateur place possible.

I wasn't a fan of the black walls at Citi Field that first year--the lime green was worse. WAY worse.
            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

As far as the DL / IL thing...……….well this is the world in which we live now:

"In recent years, the commissioner has received several inquiries regarding the name of the 'Disabled List,'" Pfeifer wrote. "The principal concern is that using the term 'disabled' for players who are injured supports the misconception that people with disabilities are injured and therefore are not able to participate or compete in sports.

I can only assume the HFL is not too far behind. Hurt Feelings List will be for players that had a bad day and need to retreat to their safe space with a stuff animal until they are ready to come out.

This will be short lived though because there will be a hurt feelings advocacy group that will contend people with hurt feelings can still participate in sports as well as safe space occupancy.
              Well, of course in the 50s the Reds became the Redlegs...because a team that had existed for close to a century called the "Reds" was clearly a Communist scare, lol.

That was the world in which we lived then.

That said, if the Hurt Feelings List were a thing, half of NFL Quarterbacks and Receivers would be on it.

Comment

Pete Alonso makes a statement!
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                  He has a great attitude in the post game interview as well.

Comment

It's just the Marlins, and still way too early, but the good signs continue for the Mets:

--They came back twice to tie before going ahead
                    --More importantly, this team ISN'T just playing Homerball, they're actually assembling runs, which has been lacking the past couple of seasons
                    --Steven Matz was decent for a 4th starter--5.1 innings, 6 hits, 1 earned run, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts
                    --Jeff McNeil just continues to hit
                    --Pete Alonso is looking great so far
                    --Wilson Ramos has been productive at the plate so far

Comment

He has a great attitude in the post game interview as well.
                      It was pretty cool to see the way he and Dom Smith interacted in the dugout after the HR.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        That was a friggin missile. So far so good

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                          It's just the Marlins, and still way too early, but the good signs continue for the Mets:

--They came back twice to tie before going ahead
                          --More importantly, this team ISN'T just playing Homerball, they're actually assembling runs, which has been lacking the past couple of seasons
                          --Steven Matz was decent for a 4th starter--5.1 innings, 6 hits, 1 earned run, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts
                          --Jeff McNeil just continues to hit
                          --Pete Alonso is looking great so far
                          --Wilson Ramos has been productive at the plate so far
                          Alonso looking great and because of that -- he gets to sit tonight.

Sling Blade needs to go. This guy will crumble in a big moment if he ever gets to a big moment

166 games of Sling Blade - we have seen enough. Please fire this guy.

Comment

Alonso looking great and because of that -- he gets to sit tonight.

Sling Blade needs to go. This guy will crumble in a big moment if he ever gets to a big moment

166 games of Sling Blade - we have seen enough. Please fire this guy.
                            I likewise am not wowed by Callaway, and I don't know why Alonso's sitting.

I suppose it's to get a look at Dom, and doing so early in the season isn't the worst idea.

That said 1. We've seen him before (though he seems to have a better approach and attitude than his last go around), 2. There's no need to interrupt Alonso's hot start to do so, and 3. With the requisite "It's Still Way Too Early" Caveat, Alonso (and McNeil, for that matter) have given me more reason for optimism in what they've shown so far than Dom ever has.

Comment

Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

I likewise am not wowed by Callaway, and I don't know why Alonso's sitting.

I suppose it's to get a look at Dom, and doing so early in the season isn't the worst idea.

That said 1. We've seen him before (though he seems to have a better approach and attitude than his last go around), 2. There's no need to interrupt Alonso's hot start to do so, and 3. With the requisite "It's Still Way Too Early" Caveat, Alonso (and McNeil, for that matter) have given me more reason for optimism in what they've shown so far than Dom ever has.
                              I get that Dom needs a look, but let it be after Alonso cools off. Which will happen of course.

I also understand a righty is pitching tonight.

Did anyone notice that the teams closer threw 29 pitches last night in a non save situation? So basically he is unavailable tonight.

Callaway (as you call him) is unfit for this position. He is a pitching coach..........not a manager. I dont get my taxes done by my plumber.....so why is a pitching coach managing my baseball team?
                              Last edited by Paulypal; 04-02-2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I get that Dom needs a look, but let it be after Alonso cools off. Which will happen of course.

I also understand a righty is pitching tonight.

Did anyone notice that the teams closer threw 29 pitches last night in a non save situation? So basically he is unavailable tonight.

Callaway (as you call him) is unfit for this position. He is a pitching coach..........not a manager. I dont get my taxes done by my plumber.....so why is a pitching coach managing my baseball team?
                                I am sure he started throwing when they got the one-run lead. When the next batter suddenly made it a four-run lead, do you sit him down and hope someone else can get ready fast (and you might end up needing him anyway like on Saturday with a 7-run lead), or let him continue. They let him continue. Borderline call. The real reason he's unavailable is because it took him 29 pitches to put them down.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X