Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callaway: “I am coming in tomorrow to manage the New York Mets. I am going to be enthusiastic about it and continue to lead this team to something special.”

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/stat...94423330983937
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
      Callaway: “I am coming in tomorrow to manage the New York Mets. I am going to be enthusiastic about it and continue to lead this team to something special.”

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/stat...94423330983937
      BVW being neutered George Steinbrenner will fire him soon

Comment

• I hope Callaway is fired by the end of the weekend, regardless of the direction of this team.

Comment

• Why is everybody piling on Callaway? He probably doesn't even make out the lineup cards. This is Fred and Jeff's team. A real manager with other options would never accept a job with the Mets - the same way most real GM candidates declined interviews here.

Am I defending him? Not really. But does anybody think he wanted Reyes in the lineup every day last year? Or Frazier this year? Or Cano batting third every day? Or Vargas every fifth day?

If we're going to blame anyone, let's blame the responsible parties: Fred and Jeff. It doesn't matter if Callaway stays or goes. The shadow managers are entrenched for the rest of their lives.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            Why is everybody piling on Callaway? He probably doesn't even make out the lineup cards. This is Fred and Jeff's team. A real manager with other options would never accept a job with the Mets - the same way most real GM candidates declined interviews here.

Am I defending him? Not really. But does anybody think he wanted Reyes in the lineup every day last year? Or Frazier this year? Or Cano batting third every day? Or Vargas every fifth day?

If we're going to blame anyone, let's blame the responsible parties: Fred and Jeff. It doesn't matter if Callaway stays or goes. The shadow managers are entrenched for the rest of their lives.
            You are right Goose, everything falls on the owners. One question I have is why would any self respecting person take the job? The only thing I could think of is money. What other reason would someone who is at the top of their field, and everyone who has gotten to that level should be considered an expert in their field, want to take a job where they have no say in their ultimate success or failure?

Comment

• Let's be honest, we all watch the Mets to be entertained. It is how we choose to spend our leisure time. I know for sure I would rather spend my leisure time watching a team managed by Wally Backman than Mickey Callaway.

Comment

Why is everybody piling on Callaway? He probably doesn't even make out the lineup cards. This is Fred and Jeff's team. A real manager with other options would never accept a job with the Mets - the same way most real GM candidates declined interviews here.
                The Mets have had numerous GM's and managers, the common denominator is Jeff, who loves to meddle. Jeff is King Midas in reverse as everything he touches turns from gold to crap. Firing Callaway to replace him with some other manager is a superficial change at best.

Here's a list of Jeff Wilpon's meddling:
                https://goodfundies.com/a-complete-h...ll-6c0055acaa2

My favorite quote from the piece was:

"Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."

Comment

• Once again--

When they hit, they cannot pitch, and when they pitch (like Syndergaard today and Matz yesterday) they cannot hit.

The Mets are convinced that they simply CAN'T do both or...I dunno...the universe will explode. (Or they'd be halfway decent.)
                  "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

I wanted him gone from his first press "loving his players like never before" conference. He is horrendous and can be out dueled by a 5 year old.

With that said - this isn't his fault at all. The roster sucks.

Period. He probably will get fired which I am all for but its not his fault. I don't want to hear about loving players.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 05-19-2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• I suspect if the Mets go on to lose this game, the season's effectively over. They will carry this momentum along for weeks. Any second half improvement will be a mirage.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                        Once again--

When they hit, they cannot pitch, and when they pitch (like Syndergaard today and Matz yesterday) they cannot hit.

The Mets are convinced that they simply CAN'T do both or...I dunno...the universe will explode. (Or they'd be halfway decent.)
                        They really are not good at either one so hoping and wishing for overlap of both is a mathematical long shot.

Again - that are talent starved. Their everyday lineup is pathetic.

Comment

I suspect if the Mets go on to lose this game, the season's effectively over. They will carry this momentum along for weeks. Any second half improvement will be a mirage.
                          Season ended on 5/16/2019. This just puts the box in the hole for the dirt nap.

Comment

• Three double plays in the game. So far.

Comment

• The Mets have now gone hitless since the Reagan administration.
                              https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/stat...64931867959296

Comment

• Three outs away from having three hits in the last eighteen innings, and yadda yadda nada to show for it.

Up, there's a Marlins home run. 3-0.

The season gets shorter and shorter...I swear one day the Mets are going to literally trip over themselves coming out of the clubhouse on Opening Day, land 5 guys on the IL, and just call off the season then and there.

Here come the brooms...in Miami hands...after scoreless games...

Well, hey, we just gave a bunch of Floridian retirees their highlight of the year--see, the Mets DO bring joy into the hearts of millions! (Or, um, at least a couple thousand a night?) Lol.
                                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X