Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    In other news, it's 21 years since the Mike Piazza Trade...which makes it 21 years in this Mets mess for me...

    But for as much as following him here doomed me for life, lol, at least Mike played.

    I wonder if a 7-year old me would've stuck around if it'd been the Yoenis Cespedes trade instead, with him on the shelf for the better part of the past couple of years and nothing close to what he was in 2015 into 2016.
    21 years ago someone should have warned a 7 year kid about the outcome. Like "dont touch the stove".

    Actually touching the stove is better -- you do it once - it burns - you never do it again. The Mets - you get burned every season and then spend the off season waiting to get burned again.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

      21 years ago someone should have warned a 7 year kid about the outcome. Like "dont touch the stove".

      Actually touching the stove is better -- you do it once - it burns - you never do it again. The Mets - you get burned every season and then spend the off season waiting to get burned again.
      Pauly

      Way back in '62, a junior High<==Today it's pronounced Middle School, was fascinated by a bunch of inept but lovable players. It's come full circle for me..just change players to owners . If Popa Fred and Capn Jeff owned the Mets in those days, the team wouldn't be here.

      In the meantime, let's enjoy VW Bug, Callaway, Capn Jeff, and the rest of the Merry Mets fun team..
      North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

        That was about as good a timing as you can have to start following the Mets.

        Anyone who missed 1977-1982........well you didnt miss much. Although I have to admit I do look upon those days fondly. I think mainly because I was a kid more so than the Mets. The one thing I will say about those years. Because they were so bad when they finally were good and then won the WS in 86 you really appreciated it.

        The best teams they had was 1985-1987. They were truly the best team in baseball in 1986.

        I agree if they had the WC I feel they at least win 1 more WS, and if I had to pick a year I would say 1985.
        Considering they won both the Houston and the Boston series after hanging from a cliff by their fingernails, let's be glad they at least got that one.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

          Pauly

          Way back in '62, a junior High<==Today it's pronounced Middle School, was fascinated by a bunch of inept but lovable players. It's come full circle for me..just change players to owners . If Popa Fred and Capn Jeff owned the Mets in those days, the team wouldn't be here.

          In the meantime, let's enjoy VW Bug, Callaway, Capn Jeff, and the rest of the Merry Mets fun team..
          Hey Brooklynboy.

          Well personally there was a 9 year old kid watching a .500 team make the playoffs in 1973, and come within a game of winning the WS. I was hooked as a Met fan. It has taken me a long time to remove the hook from "die hard" to ...."eh I follow them".

          As a kid you dont care who owns the team or understand the business end of it. Like how the Wilpons have deceived their fan base for years.

          Enjoying them is not really an option for me. I want them to win, but I know when they do it further secures the current situation so losing is just as good an outcome for me. Being honest.

          I feel the only way things will change is if they lose 100-110 games in a season. Have the attendance drop like a rock, and have them become more of a laughing stock than they already are.

          These seasons of around 77 wins makes the fan base think that with a tweak or two here or there we have a WC contender. We need rock bottom for change, otherwise they put the carrot out there and the fan base chases it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

            Considering they won both the Houston and the Boston series after hanging from a cliff by their fingernails, let's be glad they at least got that one.
            I am. Otherwise I wouldnt have seen any WS wins.

            With that said - they were the best team in 1986.

            I would have like to seen 1985 Gooden in the playoffs pitching 2 - maybe 3 times. Gooden is why I think the Mets win in 1985.

            Comment


            • So McNeil and Cano are now on the IL. That means Hechavarria will be the every day second baseman and Rajai Davis and Gomez will see significant playing time. Not good.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                So McNeil and Cano are now on the IL. That means Hechavarria will be the every day second baseman and Rajai Davis and Gomez will see significant playing time. Not good.
                The sane move is putting McNeil at 2B with Smith or Davis in LF. Or bench Frazier if he doesn't start hitting, and play Davis at 3B, especially if a fly ball pitcher is starting. Use Frazier as a defensive replacement if Familia is brought in.

                With work, maybe Smith can play the outfield. His bat has looked legitimate this season. The lineup isn't strong enough to support Hechavarria's glove.

                on edit: It's almost comedic how Cano hurts himself when he finally runs hard. It was noted that taking it easy strategically was always considered key in his remarkable lack of injury over his career. The next 4 1/2+ years are going to be interesting.
                Last edited by Mongoose; 05-23-2019, 11:36 AM.


                "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                  So McNeil and Cano are now on the IL. That means Hechavarria will be the every day second baseman and Rajai Davis and Gomez will see significant playing time. Not good.
                  Today it was good!!

                  Gomez with a 3 run bomb. Excellent

                  Comment


                  • First 4 game sweep at home of this franchise since 1972.
                    Hope the Syracuse fans aren't too disappointed they won't get to watch Gomez and Davis for a little while. Hope the Queens fans won't be disappointed either. A good start.

                    Comment


                    • Why is social media embracing the return of Carlos Gomez as a homecoming? He was traded away his rookie year for Johan Santana. I make that trade 100% of the time!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                        Why is social media embracing the return of Carlos Gomez as a homecoming? He was traded away his rookie year for Johan Santana. I make that trade 100% of the time!
                        probably not about the trade and the past. About if he can improbably help the team in 2019.

                        Comment


                        • Just a note about Cespedes --

                          Out for the year because of the ankle surgery. His earliest return is March 2020, or Spring Training. He last played on July 20th, 2018.

                          People don't return from an 18-month layoff at age 34-35. His Mets career isn't just over; his baseball career should be considered done.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by redban View Post
                            Just a note about Cespedes --

                            Out for the year because of the ankle surgery. His earliest return is March 2020, or Spring Training. He last played on July 20th, 2018.

                            People don't return from an 18-month layoff at age 34-35. His Mets career isn't just over; his baseball career should be considered done.
                            Usually, this is the case, but we're talking Cespedes, he will not only come back, but go on a tear and stay healthy because he will be in a contract year looking for some other s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ team so that he can then get injured again and use the millions he bilks the next team out of to sustain his lifestyle.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                              Usually, this is the case, but we're talking Cespedes, he will not only come back, but go on a tear and stay healthy because he will be in a contract year looking for some other s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ team so that he can then get injured again and use the millions he bilks the next team out of to sustain his lifestyle.
                              I know the contract is a train wreck and it's fashionable to call him a dog. But early last season he was trying to play through the flu, then he was hobbling around in the outfield until playing became untenable, then he went through two surgeries, then, however it happened, I'm sure he didn't plan and is not happy about a compound ankle fracture. Hopefully he can contribute next season.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                                Hey Brooklynboy.

                                Well personally there was a 9 year old kid watching a .500 team make the playoffs in 1973, and come within a game of winning the WS. I was hooked as a Met fan. It has taken me a long time to remove the hook from "die hard" to ...."eh I follow them".

                                As a kid you dont care who owns the team or understand the business end of it. Like how the Wilpons have deceived their fan base for years.

                                Enjoying them is not really an option for me. I want them to win, but I know when they do it further secures the current situation so losing is just as good an outcome for me. Being honest.

                                I feel the only way things will change is if they lose 100-110 games in a season. Have the attendance drop like a rock, and have them become more of a laughing stock than they already are.

                                These seasons of around 77 wins makes the fan base think that with a tweak or two here or there we have a WC contender. We need rock bottom for change, otherwise they put the carrot out there and the fan base chases it.
                                Pauly

                                I remember that series and Charlie Finley. I also remember Ed Kranepool making the PO that gave us the Division Title in '69..You've been saying that for the past few seasons and you're correct. Case in Point..we swept the Nats and suddenly we're a WS contender..Nothing has really changed but us Mets fans are so desperate for a winner, we jump at every little bait Capn Jeff throws our way..

                                You're right.We need to lose 100+ games for a season or 2 to get a point across to Mets fans..Sometimes ya shake ya head and wonder...
                                North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X