Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by redban View Post
    Just a note about Cespedes --

Out for the year because of the ankle surgery. His earliest return is March 2020, or Spring Training. He last played on July 20th, 2018.

People don't return from an 18-month layoff at age 34-35. His Mets career isn't just over; his baseball career should be considered done.
    Which is really a shame, he had some really good years, including 2015, great combination of speed and power and arm strength--sad to see him and Harvey betrayed by their bodies.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

Which is really a shame, he had some really good years, including 2015, great combination of speed and power and arm strength--sad to see him and Harvey betrayed by their bodies.
      It's hard to feel bad for a guy who has made $144,000,000.00 to date to play a kids game and has spent a lot of his time on the IL playing golf and riding around on his horse on his 88 acre ranch. It's pretty well documented that he has been golfing and riding very recently. I doubt he fell in a hole in his ranch. He probably was doing something reckless on his horse and fell the wrong way.

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

Pauly

I remember that series and Charlie Finley. I also remember Ed Kranepool making the PO that gave us the Division Title in '69..You've been saying that for the past few seasons and you're correct. Case in Point..we swept the Nats and suddenly we're a WS contender..Nothing has really changed but us Mets fans are so desperate for a winner, we jump at every little bait Capn Jeff throws our way..

You're right.We need to lose 100+ games for a season or 2 to get a point across to Mets fans..Sometimes ya shake ya head and wonder...
        Do you really think the Mets are a WS contender because they swept the Nats? They’re not even .500 yet. And it’s still not Memorial Day yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Do you really think the Mets are a WS contender because they swept the Nats? They’re not even .500 yet. And it’s still not Memorial Day yet.
          Going by the hysteria on other sites, Gomez and Rajai are the second coming of Hernandez and Carter and the team is going to win 100 games. It was a fun few days of late inning drama. I'm not about to get excited given how much they sucked against the Marlins or how many of their starters are currently on the IL.
          Last edited by jjpm74; 05-23-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• We can never say anything negative about Cespedes. What he did in 2015 was something so spectacularly improbable and unbelievable its hard to fathom we actually witnessed it. He single handedly restored the word Amazin' to the Amazin' Mets. The only possible description for the joy and exhilaration he gave us came from the ghost of Casey himself "Amazin' Amazin' Amazin'". He made it safe to yell out "Ya Gotta Believe" from the deepest reaches of our blue & orange souls ... and really believe we could "believe'. For the first time in years, in many, many years, "The Magic Is Back" was a real thing again, not just a forgotten slogan that ushered in the era of the Home Run Apple.

We're Mets fans, we don't get a lot of magical, amazing seasons. We had one for the ages in 2015. Lets always want the best and whish for the best for the man that made it happen.

He could be earning twice that 144 million and enjoying his ranch all he wants as far as I'm concerned. He earned it; he gave us 2015. We almost won it all and boy oh boy it was glorious!

Get well soon Yoenis Cespedes. You'll always be in the pantheon of Met deities, even if you never play again, (which you won't).

Comment

• Originally posted by SaltyParker View Post
              We can never say anything negative about Cespedes. What he did in 2015 was something so spectacularly improbable and unbelievable its hard to fathom we actually witnessed it. He single handedly restored the word Amazin' to the Amazin' Mets. The only possible description for the joy and exhilaration he gave us came from the ghost of Casey himself "Amazin' Amazin' Amazin'". He made it safe to yell out "Ya Gotta Believe" from the deepest reaches of our blue & orange souls ... and really believe we could "believe'. For the first time in years, in many, many years, "The Magic Is Back" was a real thing again, not just a forgotten slogan that ushered in the era of the Home Run Apple.

We're Mets fans, we don't get a lot of magical, amazing seasons. We had one for the ages in 2015. Lets always want the best and whish for the best for the man that made it happen.

He could be earning twice that 144 million and enjoying his ranch all he wants as far as I'm concerned. He earned it; he gave us 2015. We almost won it all and boy oh boy it was glorious!

Get well soon Yoenis Cespedes. You'll always be in the pantheon of Met deities, even if you never play again, (which you won't).
              Your first post. Welcome to the board.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

We can never say anything negative about Cespedes. What he did in 2015 was something so spectacularly improbable and unbelievable its hard to fathom we actually witnessed it. He single handedly restored the word Amazin' to the Amazin' Mets. The only possible description for the joy and exhilaration he gave us came from the ghost of Casey himself "Amazin' Amazin' Amazin'". He made it safe to yell out "Ya Gotta Believe" from the deepest reaches of our blue & orange souls ... and really believe we could "believe'. For the first time in years, in many, many years, "The Magic Is Back" was a real thing again, not just a forgotten slogan that ushered in the era of the Home Run Apple.

Welcome to the site and great first post!

We can say the same thing about Daniel Murphy that season. Murphy turned into Babe Ruth in the NLCS and carried the entire team into the WS, winning the series MVP.

What Cespedes did for the Mets was/is legendary and I do not regret the team signing him. He deserved it. It's just a bit of a let down that he has basically spent the majority of the contract on the IL and seems content to stay there.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

We can say the same thing about Daniel Murphy that season. Murphy turned into Babe Ruth in the NLCS and carried the entire team into the WS, winning the series MVP.

What Cespedes did for the Mets was/is legendary and I do not regret the team signing him. He deserved it. It's just a bit of a let down that he has basically spent the majority of the contract on the IL and seems content to stay there.
                    Thanks for the welcome.

AHH Murph. He was ours, a homegrown, unique character and all he ever did was play where he was told and hit, hit hit and that was before he turned into the Babe. It was a disgraceful day when a Met hero in his prime was foolishly allowed to leave. Yet somehow the guy who deserves 100% of the blame for losing a World Series we had easily won, the dreaded choker Familia, gets brought back with a fat contract. At least he's showing consistency by still choking. Not to re-litigate the '15 Series, but to this very day, every single time the dreaded choker Familia enters a game I curse under my breath at him. And sometimes out loud too.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

AHH Murph. He was ours, a homegrown, unique character and all he ever did was play where he was told and hit, hit hit and that was before he turned into the Babe. It was a disgraceful day when a Met hero in his prime was foolishly allowed to leave. Yet somehow the guy who deserves 100% of the blame for losing a World Series we had easily won, the dreaded choker Familia, gets brought back with a fat contract. At least he's showing consistency by still choking. Not to re-litigate the '15 Series, but to this very day, every single time the dreaded choker Familia enters a game I curse under my breath at him. And sometimes out loud too.
                      I happened to DVR the postgame and have it on as I get ready in the morning. Yesterday's must have finished early or something so the end was some sort of "beginnings" type show on Familia. It showed the home where he grew up, the out house, his mother relating that with his bonus she was able to have heart surgery and medication that she otherwise would not have been able to afford and in her translated words "I would have been in the ground." I'll probably find it hard to really be uber angry at the guy even if his results don't live up to my expectations.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Yes what he did was legendary for 6 weeks in 2015, but as I said in 2015 - the Mets got the best of his free agent audition and was not overly excited when they signed him. 3 other teams traded him within a year. Now we know why. Yeonis plays when Yeonis feels like it.

I understand why the Mets signed him, but I wouldnt have gone as far as they did. Every bit as bad as the David Wright contract. Which by the way I hated that signing of Wright too.

This is not 20/20 hindsight as I posted the below on the Cespedes thread 9/8/2015:

I am not sure if I want Cespedes at big years for big dollars despite what he is doing now. This isnt what he has been since he has been in the league, and to be honest I see a little prima donna in him that once your locked into that contract...........your locked in. I would like to have him because he is a good player, but I am also a little worried about a long term commitment with him.

I keep saying "we are reaping the benefits of his free agent audition" for that exact reason. He is in a big market fully on display in the heat of a pennant race. He has taken an offensively dead team and they have become a very good offensive team basically as the lone big addition. His play has been off the charts in all areas and like you said far exceeded anything that could have been expected.

With that said I still would proceed with caution when talking long term.

Comment

Nope..I and a few other Mets fan know it's early in the season. I wouldn't get excited even with a 15 game lead as Mets history has shown . The Mets will eventually settle into "Their Groove" and play at their level, whatever that may be. I would really like to see a season with minimal injuries.
                          North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Just a quick question..Is there space for Dominic on the Mets roster? Seems to me he's proving some of the hype to be right. With Peter at 1st, where does he fit in?
                            North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• In terms of ill-advised long-term deals the Mets did NOT give out: Matt Harvey was lit up very badly last night. He's started 10 games, averaged under five innings and has a 7.50 ERA. He's 30 now, was supposed to be our Kershaw, but instead it's all come apart for real and for good.

So, even though Pauly was correct that the end of 2015 was the right time to trade him, at least they didn't extend him.

I presume he'll keep getting signed by teams willing to take a shot based on his brief tenure as an elite pitcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post
                                In terms of ill-advised long-term deals the Mets did NOT give out: Matt Harvey was lit up very badly last night. He's started 10 games, averaged under five innings and has a 7.50 ERA. He's 30 now, was supposed to be our Kershaw, but instead it's all come apart for real and for good.

So, even though Pauly was correct that the end of 2015 was the right time to trade him, at least they didn't extend him.

I presume he'll keep getting signed by teams willing to take a shot based on his brief tenure as an elite pitcher.
                                Even though the Angels are seriously hard up for starters to eat innings, it won't be long before Matt "I am a starting pitcher" Harvey is back in the bullpen while the Angels cast about for someone, anyone, to take this pudgy, washed up party boy man-child off their hands if they pay most of his bloated and undeserved salary.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X