2019 Mets Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    The MLB draft starts today and probably will last over the next 2 days.

As just mentioned on the radio and I agree - if the Mets are going to sell their fan base they are serious about hanging around this year.......Kimbrel will be a Met by Friday. They need to fix the pen for starters.

As far as I am concerned the season ended 5/16/2019 as I stated that day, but if they want to sell the rest of the year they need to do something that impacts their weakest area.
    Good idea Pauly. Depends on what Kimbrel is asking. Whatever he's asking, I'd be very surprised if Capn Jeff will pay...
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

I'm pretty well resigned to the fact that this is yet another in a long line of lost seasons.

This should have been a 4-3 road trip but they handed off two sure wins to the Arson Squad that is their wretched bullpen, and here we are. Historically they've been willing to invest in closers, with a reasonable history of success, but the rest are treated as interchangeable parts with a lot of turnover and little success. The better ones get overworked and wear down as we know. They're kind of on the right track with trying to stretch the starters out longer, but it's not showing on the bottom line. So yeah, Kimbrel would be an upgrade but unfortunately that's not how they operate.

On a separate note, it only took a third of a season for Seattle to rid themselves of both Swarzak and now Bruce.
      Well they dont operate to win. I am just suggesting a winning move or one that at least suggest attempting to win.

Personally I think they are done, but they have a lot of season left and for Joey Van Slick to not beg Jeff to do something would be beyond stupid in his first year. Going from the "team to beat" to getting set to punt is a big change in 3 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

Good idea Pauly. Depends on what Kimbrel is asking. Whatever he's asking, I'd be very surprised if Capn Jeff will pay...
        It shouldnt matter what he is asking. I am not paying him...nor is anyone else that is a "fan". The real question is do you want to at least try to win or settle for the garbage that has gone on and wait for it to change?

Jeff wont pay. We all know that. Jeff also wont win......nor will he appear as he wants to.

The "team to beat" has literally become the team to beat.

If I had to guess the Cubs will be in on Kimbrel.

Comment

It shouldnt matter what he is asking. I am not paying him...nor is anyone else that is a "fan". The real question is do you want to at least try to win or settle for the garbage that has gone on and wait for it to change?

Jeff wont pay. We all know that. Jeff also wont win......nor will he appear as he wants to.

The "team to beat" has literally become the team to beat.

If I had to guess the Cubs will be in on Kimbrel.
          I'll add the Nats as their BP is worse than ours..You're right, it shouldn't matter what he wants. Good Management doesn't worry that much about the money but more about the results.

'Nuff Said about the Mets Management

Comment

• The Mets have drafted third baseman Brett Baty from Lake Travis HS from Austin, Texas with the 12th overall pick.
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
              The Mets have drafted third baseman Brett Baty from Lake Travis HS from Austin, Texas with the 12th overall pick.
              Cool. Maybe we'll see him in MLB in 6-8 years.

Comment

I wonder what he said anti Met on the air that really got him fired.
                Well, right after the disastrous series with Miami, I heard him say on Baseball Night In New York, "If you can't beat the Marlins, who can you beat?" But I don't know if that's what got him sacked.

I didn't realize he'd been demoted off the pre and post game shows, but it appears to me he was on thin ice already, and if he showed up to work drunk, that would be grounds for termination, I suppose.
                They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• The Mets' second and final pick of the night is right-handed pitcher Josh Wolf, from St. Thomas High School in Texas. Wolf was the 36th-ranked player on MLB Pipeline's draft board. He goes 53rd overall.

Big velocity -- he's hit 97 mph -- and a big curveball.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...51889226616832

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    Well, right after the disastrous series with Miami, I heard him say on Baseball Night In New York, "If you can't beat the Marlins, who can you beat?" But I don't know if that's what got him sacked.

I didn't realize he'd been demoted off the pre and post game shows, but it appears to me he was on thin ice already, and if he showed up to work drunk, that would be grounds for termination, I suppose.
                    Read this Bob Raisman column about the incident that got Nelson Figueroa fired.

I'd cut and paste it, but the "improvements" from last update of the forum's software eliminate formatting and turn articles into unreadable blocks of text.

Raisman intimates that Figueroa was enduring a professional death of a thousand cuts, at the hands of Jeffy. In Raisman's words, "In less than a year, Figueroa had gone from the top of the studio pecking order to the bottom. Would anyone at SNY, or any other network be La-Dee-DAing that?". It seems Jeffy disapproved of analyses like those from the Marlin's series. Figueroa finally exploded - if you read between the lines - at Jeffy!

So do you believe Figueroa was actually out-of-control drunk in the studio? Or do you believe it's yet another Wilpon smear job of an ex-employee?

I vote for option #2.

By the way, legendary broadcasters Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy were rumored to have an occasional drink in studio. If this is now a crime, the Mets might have to revoke all the honors bestowed upon them.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                      So do you believe Figueroa was actually out-of-control drunk in the studio? Or do you believe it's yet another Wilpon smear job of an ex-employee?
                      After reading the article you linked to, I don't know what to believe, but I'd be inclined to give Figueroa the benefit of the doubt, knowing the Wilpons' track record in these things.

EDIT: In better news, Ron Darling will return to the booth tonight.
                      Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 06-04-2019, 06:59 AM.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• FYI:

Robinson Cano through the team's first 59 games:

.241 / .287 / .371 / 3 HR / 13 RBI / 79 OPS+

Adrian Gonzalez through the team's first 62 games last year:

.237 / .299 / .373 / 6 HR / 26 RBI / 88 OPS+

Both of them are the same age. Cano has about 200 more games played in his career. We gave up Adrian, and nobody else picked him up; he's retired. We can't do the same for Cano.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
                          FYI:

Robinson Cano through the team's first 59 games:

.241 / .287 / .371 / 3 HR / 13 RBI / 79 OPS+

Adrian Gonzalez through the team's first 62 games last year:

.237 / .299 / .373 / 6 HR / 26 RBI / 88 OPS+

Both of them are the same age. Cano has about 200 more games played in his career. We gave up Adrian, and nobody else picked him up; he's retired. We can't do the same for Cano.
                          Wonder what Cano's next year will look like??

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Read this Bob Raisman column about the incident that got Nelson Figueroa fired.

I'd cut and paste it, but the "improvements" from last update of the forum's software eliminate formatting and turn articles into unreadable blocks of text.

Raisman intimates that Figueroa was enduring a professional death of a thousand cuts, at the hands of Jeffy. In Raisman's words, "In less than a year, Figueroa had gone from the top of the studio pecking order to the bottom. Would anyone at SNY, or any other network be La-Dee-DAing that?". It seems Jeffy disapproved of analyses like those from the Marlin's series. Figueroa finally exploded - if you read between the lines - at Jeffy!

I vote for option #2.

By the way, legendary broadcasters Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy were rumored to have an occasional drink in studio. If this is now a crime, the Mets might have to revoke all the honors bestowed upon them.

Drinking on the job - just because Murphy/Kiner did it doesn't make it a good thing. We all liked both announcers a great deal, but when the third guy in the booth is Jack Daniels it makes for sloppy work. Which is what we often got, but we liked them so it was ok.

With that said - I didn't need Raisman's article to figure out the obvious - Figueroa was fired because of being critical at the hand of Jeff.

The worst organization in pro sports pound for pound solidifies its legacy daily.

Comment

• 28-32 record now.

They were 27-33 in 2017 and 2018. They were 28-32 in 2014, when they finished 79-83.

Comment

• I hope Freddy and Jeffy are enjoying this trainwreck in the owner's box.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X