This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

The problem that is becoming evident with the Met staff (with the exception of deGrom) is that they dont have toughness. Noah/Matz/Wheeler are soft. If they are dominating they can roll. When things go bad they dont know how to right the ship.

deGrom can battle you with nothing and figure it out. The other 3 are just too soft. An error, bloop hit, hard hit ball throws them off their game.
    Noah is more a tale of two pitchers. He either gets lit up, or is unstoppable. Last outing, he went 7 innings and gave up 1 hit and was pulled because Mr. Moron aka Mickey Callaway was worried he got gassed running over to cover 1B. He also pitched a complete game shutout where he also drove in the team's only run. I'm not worried about Syndergaard or deGrom.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
      Seth Lugo ----- 32.1 IP / 2.51 ERA / 161 ERA+ / 0.959 WHIP

Edwin Diaz --- 25.2 IP / 2.81 ERA / 144 ERA+ / 1.208 WHIP

Statistically, Lugo is the best pitcher on the whole team, and by a wide margin.
      You are drafting and you can choose between Lugo/Diaz who would you take?

I wouldnt have to think twice about it. I would take Diaz everyday and twice on Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Noah is more a tale of two pitchers. He either gets lit up, or is unstoppable. Last outing, he went 7 innings and gave up 1 hit and was pulled because Mr. Moron aka Mickey Callaway was worried he got gassed running over to cover 1B. He also pitched a complete game shutout where he also drove in the team's only run. I'm not worried about Syndergaard or deGrom.
        I am not worried about any of them.

I just think deGrom is the only one I trust. The game doesnt always roll your way. Great pitchers or players figure it out when they are not at their best.

I dont see the guts it takes to be great in any other pitcher on the Mets.

I used to think Noah was going to be the ace of the staff because he had the best "stuff". Not the case at all. There is an aspect to the game he hasnt figured out yet. Maybe he will.

I am not sure what Noah's 1-0 win where he drove in the only run has to do with his ability to pitch.

Comment

I am not sure what Noah's 1-0 win where he drove in the only run has to do with his ability to pitch.
          You don't see a complete game shutout as a big deal in this day and age? He clearly can pitch and is better than the other starting pitchers on the staff with the notable exception of deGrom, who is currently the #1 of the staff.

For the others, Vargas has turned into Bartolo Colon. Good for him! I hope he continues to pitch well. I wanted him off the team.

As for this team, if they are smart, Wheeler and either D, Smith or Conforto are on the trading block come July. Gomez and either Rosario or Hech are both valuable enough to get a return as well. Hech has been the biggest surprise on this team so far this year.

Comment

You are drafting and you can choose between Lugo/Diaz who would you take?

I wouldnt have to think twice about it. I would take Diaz everyday and twice on Sunday.
            But that conjectural scenario will literally never arise.

On June 12, 2019, I would pick Lugo over Diaz to hold a lead in the late innings of a game.

Comment

But that conjectural scenario will literally never arise.

On June 12, 2019, I would pick Lugo over Diaz to hold a lead in the late innings of a game.
              Ok - I would not

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

You don't see a complete game shutout as a big deal in this day and age? He clearly can pitch and is better than the other starting pitchers on the staff with the notable exception of deGrom, who is currently the #1 of the staff.

For the others, Vargas has turned into Bartolo Colon. Good for him! I hope he continues to pitch well. I wanted him off the team.

As for this team, if they are smart, Wheeler and either D, Smith or Conforto are on the trading block come July. Gomez and either Rosario or Hech are both valuable enough to get a return as well. Hech has been the biggest surprise on this team so far this year.
                It is a big deal these days, but he rolled through that game. I was talking about when things dont go his way and he guts it out.

Wheeler almost has to be traded. They are not signing him.

Hech has been a surprise. I knew he could play defense from watching him on the Marlins/Yankees.

I would dangle Rosario out there to see what he can get. Not impressed at all with him. My guess is he wouldnt bring back a lot because I am sure I am not alone in seeing a very low ceiling, but I would see if another team is willing to make a mistake.

Conforto is that guy when they trade him - he stays healthy and finds it.

I am still not sure what Dom Smith is. I think they should play him everyday and let him prove it or not, but I see Kenneth Davis of the Buffalo Bills. As a fill in he performed, full time..not so much.

At this point they have to give Smith a longer look.

Comment

• *sigh*

They just had to blow it in the 9th. Just couldn’t get those 3 outs to get to .500.

Comment

*sigh*

They just had to blow it in the 9th. Just couldn’t get those 3 outs to get to .500.
                    Yep, Diaz and Rosario doing everything they possibly can to blow yet another great outing by Jacob deGrom and making sure the team never gets back to .500. This team plays like the mediocre losers they are!

Comment

• Meanwhile, Jay Bruce was NL Player of the Week last week.

At the end of 2015, I wanted the Mets to retain Murphy, Deal Dilson for Aroldis Chapman (who the Reds were dumping), and generally deal the farm for ML talent to maximize the window they'd opened. You can then reload the farm as you move forward.

Instead they got cute. They didn't resign Murphy. Niese had a cheap contract with team options and still had a lot of value. They swapped his salary out for Neil Walker's, replaced Murphy in the process and saved $10M in the bargain. They signed De Aza to replace Cespedes and almost let Murphy and Cespedes both walk to the Nationals. Fans and national media were screaming. They didn't improve the team at all, through trade or free agency.

That off-season was a blown chance that wiped out the next 3 seasons. Three plus years later, they have a new, developing core of talent and still control deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler and Matz. What did they do? They had another disastrous off-season that will reverberate for years.

If you think Cano's not good now, wait a few years. He'll probably still be hitting 3rd. Unless he's physically unable to play, in which case Fred and Jeff will pocket the whole insurance and not reinvest in payroll. It would take a long time to add up the opportunity cost of this trade. I won't bother. The hit in value the Mets took was enormous. We seem to be seeing the fallout a few times a week. I don't see it getting better.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                        Meanwhile, Jay Bruce was NL Player of the Week last week.

At the end of 2015, I wanted the Mets to retain Murphy, Deal Dilson for Aroldis Chapman (who the Reds were dumping), and generally deal the farm for ML talent to maximize the window they'd opened. You can then reload the farm as you move forward.

Instead they got cute. They didn't resign Murphy. Niese had a cheap contract with team options and still had a lot of value. They swapped his salary out for Neil Walker's, replaced Murphy in the process and saved $10M in the bargain. They signed De Aza to replace Cespedes and almost let Murphy and Cespedes both walk to the Nationals. Fans and national media were screaming. They didn't improve the team at all, through trade or free agency.

That off-season was a blown chance that wiped out the next 3 seasons. Three plus years later, they have a new, developing core of talent and still control deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler and Matz. What did they do? They had another disastrous off-season that will reverberate for years.

If you think Cano's not good now, wait a few years. He'll probably still be hitting 3rd. Unless he's physically unable to play, in which case Fred and Jeff will pocket the whole insurance and not reinvest in payroll. It would take a long time to add up the opportunity cost of this trade. I won't bother. The hit in value the Mets took was enormous. We seem to be seeing the fallout a few times a week. I don't see it getting better.
                        Mongoose , can I at least enjoy my day off and morning coffee without you being a Debbie Downer ?
                        You seem to forget in 2016 the Mets were “the wildcard “ because I saw the banner at Citi Field! So they didn’t wipe out 2016 - despite the fact they LOST the wild card game when Madbum threw a 9 inning 3-0 shut out at the Mets to the joy of Nancy and Tom Seaver . Put that banner up !

By coincidence , the NYY were shut out in the 2015 Wild Card at home by the same score . I’ll buy you a coke if you can show me that banner ! The Yankees put losing the wild card banner in the crapper where it belongs .

And to make all Mets fans happier , the Giants are ten games under .500 yet have a payroll about 18 million dollars higher than the Mets. This should make all Mets fans happy - someone else is doing worse than the Mets and spending / wasting more money . There , now we can enjoy the nice weather knowing the Mets are better .

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
                          Meanwhile, Jay Bruce was NL Player of the Week last week.

They made several seemingly massive mistakes this offseason:

1) I wasnt against the Diaz/Cano trade, but it is turning out to be a disaster. I was dead wrong
                          2) I didnt want to offer deGrom 5 years (I was maxing out at 3..TOPS). I was dead right.

I didnt want Cespedes for 4 years another massive error that they will pay for............well they are paying for now and have been. They got his best from his FA audition in 2015 and got a way with a one year deal in 2016, but stupidly got caught on the hook for much more.

I am still not sold on their developing core of talent. Alonso/Conforto/Nimmo (if he is healthy), and McNeil is all I would keep. I am not sold on the pitching staff at this point.

It will not get better. We all know why...blah blah blah
                          Last edited by Paulypal; 06-14-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

They made several seemingly massive mistakes this offseason:

1) I wasnt against the Diaz/Cano trade, but it is turning out to be a disaster. I was dead wrong
                            2) I didnt want to offer deGrom 5 years (I was maxing out at 3..TOPS). I was dead right.

I didnt want Cespedes for 4 years another massive error that they will pay for............well they are paying for now and have been. They got his best from his FA audition in 2015 and got a way with a one year deal in 2016, but stupidly got caught on the hook for much more.

I am still not sold on their developing core of talent. Alonso/Conforto/Nimmo (if he is healthy), and McNeil. I am not sold on the pitching staff at this point.

It will not get better. We all know why...blah blah blah
                            Pauly - but there are other teams doing worse so cheer up ! Nothing makes a true Mets fan happier than somebody else doing worse ! Cano, Wright , Cespedes - I think other teams must have spent money as foolishly as the Mets ! Don’t forget years ago Cespedes won a home run derby ! It could be worse , they could have signed home run derby winner Josh Hamilton . See , that should make Mets fans feel better !

Comment

• In case anyone hasnt noticed our stud cant miss shortstops WAR is -0.3.

In other words a replacement level player would be more of a plus. I guess that is what a .287 OBP gets you.

Yes I know he is the youngest starting SS, and he is developing. Developing into what I dont know.

To make matters worse Rosario isnt their biggest problem.
                              Last edited by Paulypal; 06-14-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Pauly - but there are other teams doing worse so cheer up ! Nothing makes a true Mets fan happier than somebody else doing worse ! Cano, Wright , Cespedes - I think other teams must have spent money as foolishly as the Mets ! Don’t forget years ago Cespedes won a home run derby ! It could be worse , they could have signed home run derby winner Josh Hamilton . See , that should make Mets fans feel better !
                                It would make me feel better if they could ever have a closer that can actually close, and if they could ever get a big name that doesn't turn to crap once he gets here (while everyone they dump immediately becomes an all-star).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X