• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Ok I understand what you are saying.

Although just for the record I did enjoy the run. My hesitation comes from selling the fan base that they are close when indeed they are not. So if you want to call that uncomfortable - ok I will agree with you.
    My main takeaway from this is, Paul, perhaps you should consider being less impetuous when posting.

No need to even qualify it, bruh.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

This is what I mean by your discomfort. "I enjoy the winning to a certain degree". " Part of me dreads" "my hesitation to actually enjoy". Uncomfortable.
    Ok I understand what you are saying.

Although just for the record I did enjoy the run. My hesitation comes from selling the fan base that they are close when indeed they are not. So if you want to call that uncomfortable - ok I will agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied

You know maybe they win the WS. We dont know how the season ends, but I find it amazing how everything has turned on a dime.

I have WFAN on in my office just about all day. Mostly its back round noise, but sometimes something catches my attention. The hosts, and the fans that call have somehow forgot about how bad this team can be and are now banking that the real Mets have showed up.

Listening to people like Boomer, Evan, and Joe on WFAN who have very limited baseball knowledge in my opinion and they approach their fandom like a 14 year old. They only understand their fandom without a really good grasp on the game and unfortunately they actually influence much of the fan base.

I dont know maybe they are right, but I cant dismiss the first 100 games. I enjoy the winning to a certain degree - part of me dreads the fact that as of right now the GM will sell how close they are and they just need a little tweaking. So that is my hesitation to actually enjoy much of what has gone on. We have seen it before too many times to think otherwise. I try to look down the road at the same time enjoying the current winning.
    This is what I mean by your discomfort. "I enjoy the winning to a certain degree". " Part of me dreads" "my hesitation to actually enjoy". Uncomfortable.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post

This is how the Wilpons win without a winning team. High TV ratings with low-cost players. When Alonso gets to be paid like Harper, we'll likely have to find some other reasons to tune in.
    It is such a shame that we even have to think like that. Its accurate but a shame at the same time.

The Nats are talking about extending Soto right now. He is 20 years and probably could get him for 10 years 125-150MM MAX. That would be a steal for that kid. Absolute steal.

If I am the Mets I am offering both McNeil/Alonso extensions.

McNeil 7 years $70MM. He is 27 1/2 years old. Eat up his Arb years and 2 FA years.

Alonso 10 years $125MM-150MM.

Lock them up.

We had this discussion on the board early this season about locking up young players before they are due their $$$ to long term contracts. Some agreed some disagreed. I think it is the way to go.

Mike Trout was 20 when they locked him 7 years $144MM which was a great move -- then they tore that up and now he owns a few small countries because he is the by far the best player.

I am all for locking up young talent. The game is getting younger. Keep them through their arb years and some FA years.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied

Satisfied? I wont say satisfied. I need the playoffs..........correction.............I need the NLDS to be satisfied. The WC although better doesnt do it.

I was more interested than in past seasons. Being able to watch Alonso & McNeil every day was a big plus. In my opinion good everyday players give the viewing audience a reason to turn the TV on everyday. Even a great pitcher doesnt do that.

I think the fan base is up beat based upon the 86 wins....young up and coming players, but.........you knew there was a but....be careful I think the Mets will have big changes happening.

To summarize the season - Overall it was interesting (much more interesting than usual).........not satisfying.
    This is how the Wilpons win without a winning team. High TV ratings with low-cost players. When Alonso gets to be paid like Harper, we'll likely have to find some other reasons to tune in.

Leave a comment:

• PVNICK
    replied
    Satisfied might be the wrong word because the good was not necessarily the way management planned it, Alonso was phenomenal. Davis and McNeil were also big plusses that help form a young core. But McNeil was almost traded and both of them had to be shuffled to make room for management's big money vets, Cano and Frazier. Nimmo, Rosario and Conforto stepped up or at least did not regress. Dom Smith is another rootable player that did well. Degro, cemented himself as being on the short list for best pitchers in the majors. Wheeler did not make the next step but he did not regress. Noah is less than his reputation. I don't have any faith in management plugging the holes needed to take the next step.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    3171 posts and counting. This is the biggest season thread we've had by a wide margin. It's also been one of the three best seasons of the past 20 years or so, which is sobering.

Was everyone satisfied?

To an extent I was, which speaks eloquently of how well ownership's embedded low expectations in the fan base.

What do you think?
    Satisfied? I wont say satisfied. I need the playoffs..........correction.............I need the NLDS to be satisfied. The WC although better doesnt do it.

I was more interested than in past seasons. Being able to watch Alonso & McNeil every day was a big plus. In my opinion good everyday players give the viewing audience a reason to turn the TV on everyday. Even a great pitcher doesnt do that.

I think the fan base is up beat based upon the 86 wins....young up and coming players, but.........you knew there was a but....be careful I think the Mets will have big changes happening.

To summarize the season - Overall it was interesting (much more interesting than usual).........not satisfying.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Pauly doesn’t Shill for the Mets .

I think Jake could win it , but I wouldn’t vote for him .

BUT do us all if favor and go back to wherever you came from . Your act is stale .

I saw that post by him, but didnt respond. It wasnt worth my typing.

Imagine someone saying that I was actually giving a Met more credit than deserved. LOL that is laughable.

It just goes to show you, other forum members and moderators that this guy is only here to annoy people. Which in my opinion is worse than a personal attack. I rather someone argue with me and call me stupid than turn everything said into the sewage that he turns it into. I understand that the moderators will see it differently than I do because this guy is still allowed on the board.

Today is that guys (according to him) 62nd birthday. Amazingly sad.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 09-30-2019, 06:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
    I am happy with the way the young players performed. McNeil, Alonso, Rosario, JD Davis, Smith, and Conforto all did well. Pitchnig wise, deGrom was dominant again and Wheeler and Matz had flashes of being really good. That is about all I am satisfied with.

The negatives:

--The team finished 3rd and was never really in the race, but I am sure upper management will spin this as a successful season because the Mets hit the over in their over/under number this season (the over/under was 85.5 and the team won 86)
    --Mickey Callaway is an idiot and we're probably stuck with him for at least another season.
    --Syndergaard regressed and turned into a prima donna.
    --The bullpen was terrible and blew a ton of games.

I expect this organization to make some real moves this off season. Not claim that Lowrie and Cespedes are returning healthy: come get us which is what we'll probably get.

To put this season into perspective, the Mets won 2 more games than the Red Sox. The Red Sox saw this season as a disaster and fired their upper management. The Mets organization saw this season as a success because the team was still mathematically in the race and over .500 in September.
    The Red Sox, unbelievably, lost 26 more games the year after their 2013 championship and then lost 24 more games the year after their 2018 championship. Don’t know why that happened but they are playing the blame game for sure.
    Their perspective is totally different from their old reputation, just like the Cubs perspective is since 2016.

We mostly mentioned the same players names to be happy with. Conforto is a fine player but I think what you see is what you get. Streaky and maybe not any better in the future than what he shows today.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    3171 posts and counting. This is the biggest season thread we've had by a wide margin. It's also been one of the three best seasons of the past 20 years or so, which is sobering.

Was everyone satisfied?

To an extent I was, which speaks eloquently of how well ownership's embedded low expectations in the fan base.

What do you think?
    Alonso, Davis, Rosario, deGrom, Wheeler, McNeil, even Matz at times were terrific to watch.

Noah has the best twitter ever.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    I am happy with the way the young players performed. McNeil, Alonso, Rosario, JD Davis, Smith, and Conforto all did well. Pitchnig wise, deGrom was dominant again and Wheeler and Matz had flashes of being really good. That is about all I am satisfied with.

The negatives:

--The team finished 3rd and was never really in the race, but I am sure upper management will spin this as a successful season because the Mets hit the over in their over/under number this season (the over/under was 85.5 and the team won 86)
    --Mickey Callaway is an idiot and we're probably stuck with him for at least another season.
    --Syndergaard regressed and turned into a prima donna.
    --The bullpen was terrible and blew a ton of games.

I expect this organization to make some real moves this off season. Not claim that Lowrie and Cespedes are returning healthy: come get us which is what we'll probably get.

To put this season into perspective, the Mets won 2 more games than the Red Sox. The Red Sox saw this season as a disaster and fired their upper management. The Mets organization saw this season as a success because the team was still mathematically in the race and over .500 in September.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied

Was everyone satisfied?

What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by mandrake View Post

I remember the 1976 team went 86-76 but they tanked at the end and even lost the last 5. We all know what 1977 started ....

Anyway this team has a lot going for it but they do need some help . I think Wheeler is about to become very wealthy , and I think someone will open the vault ( Yanks , Angels
    ?)

I want Noah to stay but cut
    all of Thor BS . Pull a Jake - get a haircut , give us a new serious and stop trying to be Matt Harvey.

I totally agree about Cohen . He just goes way too overboard ; prior to 2015 I really don’t remember him screaming so much . I remember a late night Cespedes HR where Cohen’s hysterics woke my wife up and put me in the dog house . Calm down , act professional . We get the enthusiasm , but if the Mets are winning by 8 runs , every HR doesn’t warrant a screaming “ It’s out of here “

He sure does drink insane amounts of coffee.

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Originally posted by redban View Post
    86 wins ... it’s actually up there in all-time Mets win/loss regular season records (which is probably a little sad, and speaks more to the failure of the Mets past teams)

I think the 2019 team is most similar to 2001, coming back from the dead and getting close. Both years, the closer was the biggest culprit in costing them those extra few games.

This might have been the first season where I actually followed the team all season. Usually, I tune out for a little bit at some point midway or near the end. But this team held my interest all season.

I enjoyed seeing DeGrom, Dom Smith, and Lugo. I liked Alonso too, but Cohen and company went overkill with praising him; it got to the point when I wanted to mute the TV anytime Alonso came up. I wish they had kept Jason Vargas.

Frazier is gone. Maybe JD Davis and Noah Syndergaard too. Unclear about Wheeler.

Well ... now is the wait until NBA begins.
    I remember the 1976 team went 86-76 but they tanked at the end and even lost the last 5. We all know what 1977 started ....

Anyway this team has a lot going for it but they do need some help . I think Wheeler is about to become very wealthy , and I think someone will open the vault ( Yanks , Angels
    ?)

I want Noah to stay but cut
    all of Thor BS . Pull a Jake - get a haircut , give us a new serious and stop trying to be Matt Harvey.

I totally agree about Cohen . He just goes way too overboard ; prior to 2015 I really don’t remember him screaming so much . I remember a late night Cespedes HR where Cohen’s hysterics woke my wife up and put me in the dog house . Calm down , act professional . We get the enthusiasm , but if the Mets are winning by 8 runs , every HR doesn’t warrant a screaming “ It’s out of here “

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    WHAT! AN! ENDING!

Dom Smith!

What a way to end the year...but you've gotta feel, gotta hope, you've gotta BELIEVE this is the start of something with these Mets!

The 2019 Mets in one game--now let's see what this crew can do in 2020!
    We stayed to the end. A gorgeous day to send us off into the winter and 6 months til opening day!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X