Pete Alonso

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Alonso

Well, the Mets have a new slugging first baseman (Pete Alonso). He generates some pretty impressive exit velocities, and also strikes out a lot. It took him a little while to adapt to AAA. He might also have a Major League learning curve. How do you think he'll do?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Maybe Rhys Hoskins light? Stats not as good as Rhys in 2018. Fewer HR’s, more K’s.

Comment

I think he will hit 35 home runs, but his BA will be in the .230s this year. He looks like a real home run hitter!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        Well, the Mets have a new slugging first baseman. He generates some pretty impressive exit velocities, and also strikes out a lot. It took him a little while to adapt to AAA. He might also have a Major League learning curve. How do you think he'll do?
        Once upon a time, we all dubbed Mike Jacobs and Ike Davis the "new slugging first baseman."

Comment

Until AA his K Rates weren't super high, basically a bit below average even but in AAA it spiked to 26%. What was It? Challenged by better stuff at a new level? Selling out contact for power? Or just a small sample?

if he can keep whiffing around 20% while walking around 9-10% he could be a beast batting .275 with 35 homers. But if his Ks climb up a little more facing better mlb pitching and he strikes out 28% or so he still could hit 30 homers but be more of a 240 hitter.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

So far so good. He has an absurd 385/420/923 slash line. He does have 14 Ks and only 3BB for the alarmists, but he has 5 HR and 6 2B among his 15 hits. His fielding is not what the scaremongers claimed, at least to date. My eyetest has seen several nice stretches to turn off the mark throws into outs. I enjoy his energy and find him easy to root for irrespective of the laundry. (cue up the American Bandstand jokes "it's got a good beat Dick, its easy to dance to I give it a 9" for those old enough to remember). It's early days but it beats having him look overwhelmed.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              So far so good. He has an absurd 385/420/923 slash line. He does have 14 Ks and only 3BB for the alarmists, but he has 5 HR and 6 2B among his 15 hits. His fielding is not what the scaremongers claimed, at least to date. My eyetest has seen several nice stretches to turn off the mark throws into outs. I enjoy his energy and find him easy to root for irrespective of the laundry. (cue up the American Bandstand jokes "it's got a good beat Dick, its easy to dance to I give it a 9" for those old enough to remember). It's early days but it beats having him look overwhelmed.
              So far he has been better than advertised both with the bat and especially with the glove. They made him sound like a butcher at first.

What I am interested in seeing is when he hits a slump how he adjusts and bounces back. We all know eventually slumps occur and its the ability to adjust that makes players hit another level.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

So far he has been better than advertised both with the bat and especially with the glove. They made him sound like a butcher at first.

What I am interested in seeing is when he hits a slump how he adjusts and bounces back. We all know eventually slumps occur and its the ability to adjust that makes players hit another level.
                Yup. Most of us remember Kevin Maas. To some extent we have seen it with Conforto and we may be witnessing it with Nimmo.

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post

Yup. Most of us remember Kevin Maas. To some extent we have seen it with Conforto and we may be witnessing it with Nimmo.
                  I think Conforto is a player. I have been saying that for years and I think that this season it may show itself. That shoulder injury buried almost two years for him, but he seems to have come back, and adjusted to the league.

Nimmo is killing himself by going out of the zone which is something he didnt do last year. This is all part of the adjustment. If you give the pitchers a way to get you out -- they will find it and exploit it to death.

Comment

The glove has been way better than advertised. I notice that tends to happen quite a bit with Met prospects. Namely, the bat and glove are almost always way different than when one expects to see based on the scouting reports (McNeil is a perfect example of this as well).

I'm still hoping he isn't Ike Davis Part II. Right now, I'm enjoying watching him play.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

The glove has been way better than advertised. I notice that tends to happen quite a bit with Met prospects. Namely, the bat and glove are almost always way different than when one expects to see based on the scouting reports (McNeil is a perfect example of this as well).

I'm still hoping he isn't Ike Davis Part II. Right now, I'm enjoying watching him play.
                      Several commentators have said Pete is first slugger developed by the Mets since Strawberry. A looooong time coming.

Comment

We dont know how good Alonso is going to be at all, but he I would be more than surprised if he turned out to be Ike Davis. Ike Davis has maybe the worst mechanics I have ever seen for a guy that hit 30 homers.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Several commentators have said Pete is first slugger developed by the Mets since Strawberry. A looooong time coming.
                          I hope so. It has been a long time since this team has had a home grown position player that good.

Comment

I hope so. It has been a long time since this team has had a home grown position player that good.
                            How quickly everyone forget how good Wright/Reyes were.

Comment

How quickly everyone forget how good Wright/Reyes were.
                              Wright and Reyes never had the power numbers Strawberry had, though Wright wasn't far off.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X