Pete Alonso

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Wright and Reyes never had the power numbers Strawberry had, though Wright wasn't far off.
    Agreed. Strawberry is by far my favorite Met player ever and its not close.

I was just considering everyday players not just their HR ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Agreed. Strawberry is by far my favorite Met player ever and its not close.

I was just considering everyday players not just their HR ability.
      Mine was Gary Carter, but Strawberry was a close second.

Comment

Mine was Gary Carter, but Strawberry was a close second.
        Strawberry was going to be the savior. The late 70's teams were brutal as you know. I remember when they signed Straw 6/15/1980. The Black Ted Williams. We were just looking for that guy that was our guy.

Our Mike Schmidt, Willie Stargell.....etc. An everyday Met player that was actually good...........not Joel Youngblood good, but really good. He had that awesome loopy but lightning quick swing that monster shots. A homegrown Met hitting bombs.

Well he never fulfilled the potential, but there was so much on him that no matter he ever did it was ever going to be enough. When the didnt sign him after the 1990 season was the first time my Met indifference showed itself.

Comment

Well he never fulfilled the potential, but there was so much on him that no matter he ever did it was ever going to be enough. When the didnt sign him after the 1990 season was the first time my Met indifference showed itself.
          Knowing what we now know about Strawberry and Gooden, I wonder how much of that was indifference and how much of it was knowing just how messed up they were.

Comment

Alonso should be interesting to watch in Atlanta although I don’t know if their new ballpark is a launching pad like the old one.

Comment

Knowing what we now know about Strawberry and Gooden, I wonder how much of that was indifference and how much of it was knowing just how messed up they were.
              I meant my indifference. In 1991 I hated the Mets for letting him go, and hoped they lost all 162.

I feel if Straw stayed in NY as a Met he was a HOF'er. Going home to LA made any bad situation worse. The Mets wouldnt go for a 5th year for a 28 year old stud that was in his prime and just finished 3rd in the MVP and won the 1988 MVP...........well he didnt in 1988 but we all know he was screwed over. Bottom line Frank Cashen couldnt destroy that team fast enough. Read this quote:

Mets General Manager Frank Cashen said: "I don't say that you can replace that kind of talent overnight, but I think that we have enough resources to win without Darryl, and I think we have a chance to even be a better team and organization within a couple of years than if we were with him."

Funny thing is its 29 years later and they still havent replace him. Cashen for all of his credit about the 1986 team was a complete moron with Strawberry and was as destructive as he was constructive.

They were messed up but it also sounds like they were left to their own devices way too much. I think there are programs in place now to better protect kids coming into money in pro sports. Nobody grabbed them and led them. I am not blaming anyone else for their issues as we are all responsible for what we do, but I just think Gooden and certainly Strawberry would have a different outcome nowadays.

Comment

I meant my indifference. In 1991 I hated the Mets for letting him go, and hoped they lost all 162.

I feel if Straw stayed in NY as a Met he was a HOF'er. Going home to LA made any bad situation worse. The Mets wouldnt go for a 5th year for a 28 year old stud that was in his prime and just finished 3rd in the MVP and won the 1988 MVP...........well he didnt in 1988 but we all know he was screwed over. Bottom line Frank Cashen couldnt destroy that team fast enough. Read this quote:

Mets General Manager Frank Cashen said: "I don't say that you can replace that kind of talent overnight, but I think that we have enough resources to win without Darryl, and I think we have a chance to even be a better team and organization within a couple of years than if we were with him."

Funny thing is its 29 years later and they still havent replace him. Cashen for all of his credit about the 1986 team was a complete moron with Strawberry and was as destructive as he was constructive.

They were messed up but it also sounds like they were left to their own devices way too much. I think there are programs in place now to better protect kids coming into money in pro sports. Nobody grabbed them and led them. I am not blaming anyone else for their issues as we are all responsible for what we do, but I just think Gooden and certainly Strawberry would have a different outcome nowadays.
                If you approached me in 1990 and told me Strawberry and Gooden would not be in the HOF in 2019, I would have thought you were absolutely crazy. They were both THAT great! I'm just glad both are still around and willing to interview with people associated with the Mets after all these years.

Comment

Ok, Alonso IS interesting to watch in Atlanta.

Comment

If you approached me in 1990 and told me Strawberry and Gooden would not be in the HOF in 2019, I would have thought you were absolutely crazy. They were both THAT great! I'm just glad both are still around and willing to interview with people associated with the Mets after all these years.
                    Agreed on the HOF, but their lives really got turned inside out.

As far as Alonso -- he can hit. Huge power. That ball he hit last night to dead center was an absolute missile. When it hit the water it was still at a high velocity. Crazy.

The one thing that makes me take pause with Alonso is his body type. He is not built athletically, and is blocky. I hope that doesn't mean anything but usually those bodies don't last long.

I am sure there are examples of that body type that has exceled over a period of time so I hope this is one of them. So far he has been a lot of fun to watch and is becoming must see tv.

Comment

Let me say this about Mr. Alonso.

Pete Alonso is so great that he can hit a grand slam even if the bases are empty.

(How's that for hype? )
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Pete Alonso is the 3rd player in Major League history to hit 9 home runs by the end of April in their debut season.

The other two are Jose Abreu and Trevor Story.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Rookie of the month for April. A good start.

Comment

Pete has been playing a good defensive game. Much better than I expected.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X