X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongoose
    started a topic Pete Alonso

Pete Alonso

Well, the Mets have a new slugging first baseman (Pete Alonso). He generates some pretty impressive exit velocities, and also strikes out a lot. It took him a little while to adapt to AAA. He might also have a Major League learning curve. How do you think he'll do?

• Blue387
    replied
    The polar bear plunge: How the Mets landed Pete Alonso with the 64th pick in 2016
    https://sports.yahoo.com/an-inside-l...172007851.html

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Well like you said, wait and see. He could be a one year wonder and saying what he thinks will be followed by a yawn.
    It could, but lets hope not.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

A dream if they do the right thing. I dont think Alonso is going to have a problem saying what he thinks, and if the Wilpons stay status quo - it will be a clash.
    Well like you said, wait and see. He could be a one year wonder and saying what he thinks will be followed by a yawn.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I'm betting on more like a dream. He's been here less than 4 months, so far so good.
    A dream if they do the right thing. I dont think Alonso is going to have a problem saying what he thinks, and if the Wilpons stay status quo - it will be a clash.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied

I wouldnt count on the Jeter like persona at all.

I think Alonso is going to be much more outspoken than Jeter. In fact he probably is right now. Alonso is also a much more emotional player than Jeter ever was.

Alonso can be a nightmare for the Wilpons. He is going to speak his mind.................good.
    I'm betting on more like a dream. He's been here less than 4 months, so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

It is pretty early, but he not only does well on the field, he says and does the right things off the field. He has the makings of a Derek Jeter like presence for the franchise if the team doesn't mess it up or ruin his health like they have so many other players.
    I wouldnt count on the Jeter like persona at all.

I think Alonso is going to be much more outspoken than Jeter. In fact he probably is right now. Alonso is also a much more emotional player than Jeter ever was.

Alonso can be a nightmare for the Wilpons. He is going to speak his mind.................good.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

It is pretty early, but he not only does well on the field, he says and does the right things off the field. He has the makings of a Derek Jeter like presence for the franchise if the team doesn't mess it up or ruin his health like they have so many other players.
    Hopefully better than Jeter. He was adamant about not moving off shortstop when Rodriguez was acquired, was a reputed spreader of herpes, and maybe not so genuinely nice, which his time as Marlins GM underscores. I'd hope Pete could improve on that.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied

Alonso has far exceeded anything anyone could have expected.

Earlier in this thread I said I wanted to see how he adjusted and dealt with his first slump. He passed that test pretty easy.

I am always in wait and see mode. As much as I appreciate what Alonso is doing I am not ready to compare him to anyone just yet in a little more than half a season. I love what I see but ……..not yet. He is on the right track.

I will say because of Alonso/McNeil I have watched more Met games at this point in the season than in previous years. Yes the team sucks but we have a couple of players worth watching.....finally.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Pete Alonso now has a national profile. I expected him to be good, but somewhere close to .350 OPS and .500 slugging. I also didn't expect him to get up to speed immediately.

I'm always more cautious trying to make predictions about high strikeout hitters, but he's looking like a serious force. He's gotten better since late May: around a .420 OBP and a .700 OBP, with a notably lower K%. Add a healthy Nimmo at the top of the order, and this team's got a serious offense. Not to knock Wright, Reyes, Beltran, etc., but Alonso might soon be the biggest impact player the Mets have had since Piazza.
    Alonso has far exceeded anything anyone could have expected.

Earlier in this thread I said I wanted to see how he adjusted and dealt with his first slump. He passed that test pretty easy.

I am always in wait and see mode. As much as I appreciate what Alonso is doing I am not ready to compare him to anyone just yet in a little more than half a season. I love what I see but ……..not yet. He is on the right track.

I will say because of Alonso/McNeil I have watched more Met games at this point in the season than in previous years. Yes the team sucks but we have a couple of players worth watching.....finally.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Pete Alonso now has a national profile. I expected him to be good, but somewhere close to .350 OPS and .500 slugging. I also didn't expect him to get up to speed immediately.

I'm always more cautious trying to make predictions about high strikeout hitters, but he's looking like a serious force. He's gotten better since late May: around a .420 OBP and a .700 OBP, with a notably lower K%. Add a healthy Nimmo at the top of the order, and this team's got a serious offense. Not to knock Wright, Reyes, Beltran, etc., but Alonso might soon be the biggest impact player the Mets have had since Piazza.
    About as good of an All Star experience as you could possibly have. He and Bieber represented the 2016 MLB draft class well.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Well, when people start dropping out like they always do, maybe we'll see some Mets sneak in through the back door.

But I thought I saw somewhere that the selection process has changed, and there are three finalists for each position or something like that? Does that mean they're (Alonso and McNeil) not eligible, or are they still available as subs?

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I don't really know how the All-Star team selection works, but if Alonso isn't an All-Star (and Jeff McNeil too, for that matter), something is very wrong.
    Every team has to have a representative. I cant imagine Alonso not being that guy.

He will already be there for the HR Derby.

McNeil is going to have a harder time. Besides the BA he is far behind on a lot of the counting numbers 5 HR's, 32 Runs, 27 RBI's. Not an easy sell.

Leave a comment:

• redban
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I don't really know how the All-Star team selection works, but if Alonso isn't an All-Star (and Jeff McNeil too, for that matter), something is very wrong.
    1B is always crowded. As good as Alonso has been, Freddie Freeman and Josh Bell have both been better than him. They hit for a higher average, they don't strike out so much, and they're more reliable defensively.

Rizzo isn't far behind Alonso, and he has more name value. Fans would rather see him right now.

McNeil probably would have made it as a 2B. As an OFer, there are just too many --- Bellinger, Yelich, Marte, Acuna, Verdugo, etc.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X