Originally posted by milladrive View Post

"Honey, that's fun fat. Everybody has that."
    Felix - "I dont have any"
    Oscar " You dont have any fun"

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

How could anyone see this coming? It has far exceeded anything anyone could have imagined.

One of the best thing about it is that Pete still has a lot of work to do. So there is room for improvement, I am not saying next year he hits more homers because if they change the ball he will be a 40 homer guy.

But..........he needs to get in better condition for one thing. He is 24 and should be in much better shape. This will only help him. He also needs to learn that all he has to do is put the bat on the ball - he will still get his homers, but strikeouts dont help anyone. He is going to end up with 185 strikeouts.

If Alonso keeps his focus and does all the preparation he could "that" player for the Mets.
    "Honey, that's fun fat. Everybody has that."

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    It's hard to believe it's been over a year since Peter hit his last minor league home run. I was there for it, a walk-off. It was the last action at Cashman Field, the last time the 51s would play, and the last time the Mets would be in Las Vegas, a town that should have an MLB franchise imo.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Just to revisit this thread: 51 home runs and counting. A new Mets record, a new NL rookie record, and going for a new MLB rookie record. I had positive expectations, and he's exceeded them dramatically.

Going by our posts early in the season, I don't think anyone saw this coming.
    How could anyone see this coming? It has far exceeded anything anyone could have imagined.

One of the best thing about it is that Pete still has a lot of work to do. So there is room for improvement, I am not saying next year he hits more homers because if they change the ball he will be a 40 homer guy.

But..........he needs to get in better condition for one thing. He is 24 and should be in much better shape. This will only help him. He also needs to learn that all he has to do is put the bat on the ball - he will still get his homers, but strikeouts dont help anyone. He is going to end up with 185 strikeouts.

If Alonso keeps his focus and does all the preparation he could "that" player for the Mets.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Just to revisit this thread: 51 home runs and counting. A new Mets record, a new NL rookie record, and going for a new MLB rookie record. I had positive expectations, and he's exceeded them dramatically.

Going by our posts early in the season, I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    The polar bear plunge: How the Mets landed Pete Alonso with the 64th pick in 2016
    https://sports.yahoo.com/an-inside-l...172007851.html

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Well like you said, wait and see. He could be a one year wonder and saying what he thinks will be followed by a yawn.
    It could, but lets hope not.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied

A dream if they do the right thing. I dont think Alonso is going to have a problem saying what he thinks, and if the Wilpons stay status quo - it will be a clash.
    Well like you said, wait and see. He could be a one year wonder and saying what he thinks will be followed by a yawn.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I'm betting on more like a dream. He's been here less than 4 months, so far so good.
    A dream if they do the right thing. I dont think Alonso is going to have a problem saying what he thinks, and if the Wilpons stay status quo - it will be a clash.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied

I wouldnt count on the Jeter like persona at all.

I think Alonso is going to be much more outspoken than Jeter. In fact he probably is right now. Alonso is also a much more emotional player than Jeter ever was.

Alonso can be a nightmare for the Wilpons. He is going to speak his mind.................good.
    I'm betting on more like a dream. He's been here less than 4 months, so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

It is pretty early, but he not only does well on the field, he says and does the right things off the field. He has the makings of a Derek Jeter like presence for the franchise if the team doesn't mess it up or ruin his health like they have so many other players.
    I wouldnt count on the Jeter like persona at all.

I think Alonso is going to be much more outspoken than Jeter. In fact he probably is right now. Alonso is also a much more emotional player than Jeter ever was.

Alonso can be a nightmare for the Wilpons. He is going to speak his mind.................good.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

It is pretty early, but he not only does well on the field, he says and does the right things off the field. He has the makings of a Derek Jeter like presence for the franchise if the team doesn't mess it up or ruin his health like they have so many other players.
    Hopefully better than Jeter. He was adamant about not moving off shortstop when Rodriguez was acquired, was a reputed spreader of herpes, and maybe not so genuinely nice, which his time as Marlins GM underscores. I'd hope Pete could improve on that.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied

Alonso has far exceeded anything anyone could have expected.

Earlier in this thread I said I wanted to see how he adjusted and dealt with his first slump. He passed that test pretty easy.

I am always in wait and see mode. As much as I appreciate what Alonso is doing I am not ready to compare him to anyone just yet in a little more than half a season. I love what I see but ……..not yet. He is on the right track.

I will say because of Alonso/McNeil I have watched more Met games at this point in the season than in previous years. Yes the team sucks but we have a couple of players worth watching.....finally.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Pete Alonso now has a national profile. I expected him to be good, but somewhere close to .350 OPS and .500 slugging. I also didn't expect him to get up to speed immediately.

I'm always more cautious trying to make predictions about high strikeout hitters, but he's looking like a serious force. He's gotten better since late May: around a .420 OBP and a .700 OBP, with a notably lower K%. Add a healthy Nimmo at the top of the order, and this team's got a serious offense. Not to knock Wright, Reyes, Beltran, etc., but Alonso might soon be the biggest impact player the Mets have had since Piazza.
    Alonso has far exceeded anything anyone could have expected.

Earlier in this thread I said I wanted to see how he adjusted and dealt with his first slump. He passed that test pretty easy.

I am always in wait and see mode. As much as I appreciate what Alonso is doing I am not ready to compare him to anyone just yet in a little more than half a season. I love what I see but ……..not yet. He is on the right track.

I will say because of Alonso/McNeil I have watched more Met games at this point in the season than in previous years. Yes the team sucks but we have a couple of players worth watching.....finally.

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Pete Alonso now has a national profile. I expected him to be good, but somewhere close to .350 OPS and .500 slugging. I also didn't expect him to get up to speed immediately.

I'm always more cautious trying to make predictions about high strikeout hitters, but he's looking like a serious force. He's gotten better since late May: around a .420 OBP and a .700 OBP, with a notably lower K%. Add a healthy Nimmo at the top of the order, and this team's got a serious offense. Not to knock Wright, Reyes, Beltran, etc., but Alonso might soon be the biggest impact player the Mets have had since Piazza.
    About as good of an All Star experience as you could possibly have. He and Bieber represented the 2016 MLB draft class well.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X