Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete list of Mets Yearbooks

Hello everyone,

After nearly 40 years of collecting memorabilia I have decided to try to put together a complete collection of Mets Yearbooks. As a "Completist" I would like to have a list of every variation, error, etc. that is known to exist. Can anyone tell me where I can find a complete list? I know someone started one here a while back, but stopped after the first few years. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by veteranyoungdude View Post
    Hello everyone,

After nearly 40 years of collecting memorabilia I have decided to try to put together a complete collection of Mets Yearbooks. As a "Completist" I would like to have a list of every variation, error, etc. that is known to exist. Can anyone tell me where I can find a complete list? I know someone started one here a while back, but stopped after the first few years. Any help would be appreciated.
    Your first post. Welcome aboard.
    I don’t know about a complete list but I’ll do some digging and see if I find anything out.

Comment

Originally posted by veteranyoungdude View Post
      I know someone started one here a while back, but stopped after the first few years.
      You're referring to the aborted series of blogs by Milladrive, a moderator here at Baseball Fever who has, unfortunately, been inactive for quite some time. He has an extensive collection of Mets yearbooks.

Milladrive's articles about the Mets yearbooks can be found here (1962), here (1963), and here (1964). They're all very informative and well worth your time.

X

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Your first post. Welcome aboard.
        I don’t know about a complete list but I’ll do some digging and see if I find anything out.
        Thanks for the welcome and the offer to help. Both are much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

You're referring to the aborted series of blogs by Milladrive, a moderator here at Baseball Fever who has, unfortunately, been inactive for quite some time. He has an extensive collection of Mets yearbooks.

Milladrive's articles about the Mets yearbooks can be found here (1962), here (1963), and here (1964). They're all very informative and well worth your time.
          Yes, those would be the ones. They are excellent articles.(They are how I found out about this site) It's a shame that he has been inactive, sounds like he really knows his stuff.

Comment

The collection is still current and complete. And insured.

The tally thru 2019 is 137 published editions.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
              The collection is still current and complete. And insured.

The tally thru 2019 is 137 published editions.
              Yay, milladrive's back! Hope this isn't just a pinch-hitting appearance.

X

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

Yay, milladrive's back! Hope this isn't just a pinch-hitting appearance.
                lol, thanks, Gary. Off the bench, but I'd like to think I'll be stayin' in the game. Hey, I hope you're off the IL!

I'll have you know I also have an extensive (albeit far from complete) bobblehead collection too. No need to guess which one I prize the most.

Welp, I figure as long as this thread exists, it'd be kinda like false advertising if it just sat here without at least a list of some sort. So, without going into much detail right now, here's how many yearbook editions have been released per year.

1962: 5
                1963: 4
                1964: 5
                1965: 4
                1966: 20
                1967: 3
                1968: 2
                1969: 3
                1970: 1
                1971: 4
                1972: 2
                1973: 3
                1974: 2
                1975: 2
                1976: 2
                1977: 2
                1978: 2
                1979: 2
                1980: 1
                1981: 1
                1982: 2
                1983: 3
                1984: 3
                1985: 3
                1986: 4
                1987: 2
                1988: 4
                1989: 3
                1990: 3
                1991: 2
                1992: 2
                1993: 1
                1994: 1
                1995: 1
                1996: 1
                1997: 1
                1998: 1
                1999: 2
                2000: 2
                2001: 2
                2002: 2
                2003: 2
                2004: 1
                2005: 1
                2006: 2
                2007: 2
                2008: 2
                2009: 2
                2010: 1
                2011: 1
                2012: 1
                2013: 1
                2014: 1
                2015: 1
                2016: 1
                2017: 1
                2018: 1
                2019: 1
                2020: 2
                Last edited by milladrive; 04-06-2021, 08:52 AM. Reason: 2020 update
                Put it in the books.

Comment

I also have an extensive (albeit far from complete) bobblehead collection too. No need to guess which one I prize the most.
                  Go ahead, tell everybody... I could use the sales!

(Now that I've said that, he's probably gonna say it's the Jerry Seinfeld bobblehead they handed out in July! )

X

Comment

lol, thanks, Gary. Off the bench, but I'd like to think I'll be stayin' in the game. Hey, I hope you're off the IL!

I'll have you know I also have an extensive (albeit far from complete) bobblehead collection too. No need to guess which one I prize the most.

Welp, I figure as long as this thread exists, it'd be kinda like false advertising if it just sat here without at least a list of some sort. So, without going into much detail right now, here's how many yearbook editions have been released per year.

1962: 5
                    1963: 4
                    1964: 5
                    1965: 4
                    1966: 20
                    1967: 3
                    1968: 2
                    1969: 3
                    1970: 1
                    1971: 4
                    1972: 2
                    1973: 3
                    1974: 2
                    1975: 2
                    1976: 2
                    1977: 2
                    1978: 2
                    1979: 2
                    1980: 1
                    1981: 1
                    1982: 2
                    1983: 3
                    1984: 3
                    1985: 3
                    1986: 4
                    1987: 2
                    1988: 4
                    1989: 3
                    1990: 3
                    1991: 2
                    1992: 2
                    1993: 1
                    1994: 1
                    1995: 1
                    1996: 1
                    1997: 1
                    1998: 1
                    1999: 2
                    2000: 2
                    2001: 2
                    2002: 2
                    2003: 2
                    2004: 1
                    2005: 1
                    2006: 2
                    2007: 2
                    2008: 2
                    2009: 2
                    2010: 1
                    2011: 1
                    2012: 1
                    2013: 1
                    2014: 1
                    2015: 1
                    2016: 1
                    2017: 1
                    2018: 1
                    2019: 1
                    Great list!

In the years where there is more than one edition, would you be able (or willing) to list what the differences are in order to assist collectors as to what to look for in order to fill in their missing copies?

Thanks!

Also, twenty versions in 1966? I thought there were four; First, Revision 1, Revision 2 and Final?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy33 View Post

Great list!

In the years where there is more than one edition, would you be able (or willing) to list what the differences are in order to assist collectors as to what to look for in order to fill in their missing copies?

Thanks!

Also, twenty versions in 1966? I thought there were four; First, Revision 1, Revision 2 and Final?
                      First, welcome to the site. And I got your notes. Always pleased to meet a fellow Met yearbook collector.

I've been tossed up for some time about continuing what I began well over a decade ago, forever contemplating the book on the subject, with each season getting the attention similar to those three seasons I published long ago.

In the meantime, however, most of the info sits with me (and a handful of other collectors who helped gather it) doing nothing and serving no one. So if some rudimentary information can help other collectors pursue their goals, I'm all too happy to help.

There were 5 editions released in 1966, each with one of four different Rheingold beer ads on the back. The first edition issues have a roster dated April 10. Three of the four Revised edition issues have a roster dated May 18. The remaining Revised issue and all Second Revised issues have rosters dated June 25. Then there are two "Final" Revised, the first having a roster of July 22 and the second dated August 11. The Rheingold beer ad on the reverse asks one of four questions: "Is it our Austrian yeast?"; "Is it our Danish malt?"; "Is it our natural carbonation?"; or "Is it our Oregon hops?"

This is often the point when many Met yearbook collectors go from gung-ho to throwing their hands in the air in despair. Don't feel bad if this includes you. It included me too until I came to terms with what acquiring all 20 would entail. But as I've said many times, everyone's goals are different, and not everyone can be or even wants to be a completist. 1966 often serves as a crossroads to that decision.

So, to answer your question -- which has sorta gotten me off my butt -- I'll indeed start posting a more definitive (yet concise) chronological checklist. Naturally, as always, if there's anything specific anyone wishes to know, feel free to ask.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Thanks so much for the welcome and the reply.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, prior to seeing your list, I believed my collection to be complete. Now, that seems not to be the case. As a retired publisher, complete collections in my world generally pertained to and included new editions and subsequent printings. From the perspective of a collector such as yourself, that may prove to be too narrow a definition.

From the list you provided, could you specifically explain (hopefully just a sentence will suffice, ie. Roster Dates, Cover change, etc.) what the differences are between the “editions” when there is more than one, for the following years? In my case, for the years below I have at least 1 (or more) edition, but wouldn’t know what to search for in order to find the missing edition(s). This info would sure be helpful to me and other collectors.

Thanks!

1969 (3)
                        1971 (4)
                        1973 (3)
                        1974 (2)
                        1975 (2)
                        1978 (2)
                        1979 (2)
                        1983 (3)
                        1985 (3)
                        1986 (4)
                        1988 (4)
                        1990 (3)
                        1992 (2)
                        1999 (2)
                        2000 (2)
                        2001 (2)
                        2002 (2)
                        2003 (2)
                        2006 (2)
                        2007 (2)
                        2008 (2)
                        2009 (2)

Comment

The Rheingold beer ad on the reverse asks one of four questions: "Is it our Austrian yeast?"; "Is it our Danish malt?"; "Is it our natural carbonation?"; or "Is it our Oregon hops?"
                          Funnily enough, those are the same four questions asked at the Passover Seder if the youngest person at the table has been Bar Mitzvahed.

X

Comment

Well, the 2021 season has started (at least it hopefully will for the Mets tonight at 7:05!), and I can't find any info regarding the Mets 2021 Yearbook. Anyone know what's going on??

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy33 View Post
                              Well, the 2021 season has started (at least it hopefully will for the Mets tonight at 7:05!), and I can't find any info regarding the Mets 2021 Yearbook. Anyone know what's going on??
                              It won't go on sale until the home opener. Until then, only the publisher has details about it.
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X