Complete list of Mets Yearbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

It won't go on sale until the home opener. Until then, only the publisher has details about it.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy33 View Post

Thanks for the explanation.
      My apologies for not following up on the yearbook info. I've not yet been able to straighten them out after my move West. Soon tho. Please don't give up hope. I'll try to do something productive this season.
      It's been a really trying winter for the millas.

However, if there's anything specific you wanna know, I'll do my best.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

It won't go on sale until the home opener. Until then, only the publisher has details about it.
        That's the way it's always been with the yearbooks. One of the highlights of going to either Opening Day or my first game of the season was getting the new yearbook.

Any idea if they're going to offer free digital downloads again this year?

X

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

That's the way it's always been with the yearbooks. One of the highlights of going to either Opening Day or my first game of the season was getting the new yearbook.

Not a clue. My hunch, however, is that it won't be a free download. There were no concessions in 2020 so there was no way to sell it at the park. As such, even the printed issues have no cover price. If there are going to be fans at the park, there's no real reason to give it away. ...unless perhaps you're Steven A. Cohen and are feeling benevolent.

As you say, buying the yearbook every year at my first attended ballgame was always eagerly anticipated. Just absorbing the new cover design was (and still is) such a treat.

Unfortunately, being out here means not being at Citi Field. I had attended at least one Met home game for 44 straight seasons from 1973 to 2017. In 2018, I did go to a Met game in San Diego, which at least kept the streak going to 45 years, but I naturally couldn't buy the Mets yearbook at Petco Park. Had to start ordering it by mail. 2019 snapped my attendance streak altogether. But I digress.

Yearbooks are indeed virtually top-secret until the first home game. A good example is 1972 when Gil Hodges died about a week before Opening Day. The 1972 yearbook has a Hodges memoriam page and Yogi Berra in his place as manager. No known copies of a 1972 yearbook printed before Hodges' death exist. Either they were never printed -- meaning the books began to be printed within a week of OD -- or they were all destroyed. I would say it's the latter if I knew anyone with a rare copy. I don't. The former is more likely, since "Revised Editions" were issued multiple times a season.

This isn't 1972, tho. Yearbooks have grown exponentially in size since then, and "Revised" is pretty much a thing of the past, so I'm sure the printing now begins much sooner. However, it's still very much unavailable until that first home game.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

No known copies of a 1972 yearbook printed before Hodges' death exist. Either they were never printed -- meaning the books began to be printed within a week of OD -- or they were all destroyed. I would say it's the latter if I knew anyone with a rare copy. I don't.
            Well, you never know. At least one copy of the 2006 World Series Program which has the Mets as the NL champs instead of the Cardinals escaped destruction. It was put up for auction on eBay in November 2006 and it went for $128.50. (I wasn't the high bidder.) So if any '72 yearbooks printed before Hodges' passing do exist, they may well be sitting in some storage facility waiting to be discovered as the latest warehouse find.

X

Comment

Not a clue. My hunch, however, is that it won't be a free download.
              You're probably right. The 2021 Mets Media Guide, however, is available as a free digital download on the Mets' website. Downloads of the 2020 yearbook, and the 2020 Mets Magazine #1, continue to be available.

X

Comment

Well, you never know. At least one copy of the 2006 World Series Program which has the Mets as the NL champs instead of the Cardinals escaped destruction. It was put up for auction on eBay in November 2006 and it went for $128.50. (I wasn't the high bidder.) So if any '72 yearbooks printed before Hodges' passing do exist, they may well be sitting in some storage facility waiting to be discovered as the latest warehouse find.
                Actually, at this late stage of my research, and with all the elite collectors I've consulted with over the years attempting to gather info for a definitive book, I'd be more than stunned to learn such a thing exists, my friend. I've been down so many avenues, with extreme due diligence, the given is that none exists and any speculation is to why.

I was aware of the 2006 program (more than one exists), but not only are scorecards very different to yearbooks in nature (especially postseason programs), they're more in line with WS tickets printed for a team that eventually doesn't play in it. Like scorecards, those unusable tickets are destroyed, except a precious few. Been that way for many years. If this happened with yearbooks, 1972 certainly wouldn't be the only year to have this aberration. It would, however, be by far the most notable and sought-after.

When it comes to the Mets yearbooks, you can pretty much take my word for it. I'll never rule anything out 100%, but I've gone about as far with that path of research as is necessary for no reasonable doubt.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

You're probably right. The 2021 Mets Media Guide, however, is available as a free digital download on the Mets' website. Downloads of the 2020 yearbook, and the 2020 Mets Magazine #1, continue to be available.

I don't know, if the Media Guide is free (it is usually?), they may still do what they did last year, both a paid physical copy and the free digital download (making 2020 the first year since 2009 with two versions). This is a wait-and-see situation. We'll know much more in a coupla days.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

WS tickets printed for a team that eventually doesn't play in it . . . . . are destroyed, except a precious few.
                    Not in modern times. Post-season tickets are printed and sent out, but if the team doesn't make it, they just refund the money and the ticketholders can do whatever they like with the tickets. In the hobby, such tickets are known as "phantom" tickets. For example, if the Mets had made it into the World Series in 2008, and the series would have gone 6 or 7 games...

...this would have been a ticket to the very last game ever played at Shea Stadium, because Games 6 and 7 were played in the American League ballpark that year.

If the teams required you to send back tickets to unplayed post-season games in order to get a refund, of course, that would be a whole different story...

X

Comment

I don't know, if the Media Guide is free (it is usually?)
                      Well, they do sell printed copies at the ballpark, but last year was the first time they were offered to the public as free downloads. As far as I know, there were no printed 2020 Mets Media Guides - at least, none were offered to the public but I'm sure copies were printed and given to the media before the pandemic turned everything upside down.

X

Comment

Well, they do sell printed copies at the ballpark, but last year was the first time they were offered to the public as free downloads. As far as I know, there were no printed 2020 Mets Media Guides - at least, none were offered to the public but I'm sure copies were printed and given to the media before the pandemic turned everything upside down.

What you're saying leads me to believe something similar to last year is occurring. If last year's Media Guide was the first free download, and this year's digital is already available free even tho physical copies have a cost, I'm beginning to believe the yearbook may be a free download again this year.

As I look at the clock, many questions will be answerable in about ten hours.

Put it in the books.

Comment

Not in modern times. Post-season tickets are printed and sent out, but if the team doesn't make it, they just refund the money and the ticketholders can do whatever they like with the tickets. In the hobby, such tickets are known as "phantom" tickets. For example, if the Mets had made it into the World Series in 2008, and the series would have gone 6 or 7 games...

...this would have been a ticket to the very last game ever played at Shea Stadium, because Games 6 and 7 were played in the American League ballpark that year.
                          I find that really interesting, Gar. I did not know that about the way WS (or postseason in general) tickets are handled now. Or maybe I did and forgot. Either way, that's a glorious image. If only.

If the teams required you to send back tickets to unplayed post-season games in order to get a refund, of course, that would be a whole different story...
                          Haha, that would certainly change make things more exciting, at least on a collectible level.
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X