Twins Want Jose Reyes for Santana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twins Want Jose Reyes for Santana

The NY Daily News has this story today saying that the Twins want Jose Reyes for Johan Santana.

Read more...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._from_met.html

c.

That is so dumb. Who would lead off then?
    Looks like we need to look elsewhere ... *looks at Dontrelle Willis, and or Erik Bedard....*
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post
      That is so dumb. Who would lead off then?
      Looks like we need to look elsewhere ... *looks at Dontrelle Willis, and or Erik Bedard....*
      I here Dontrelle is off the market. Also I would expect the Baltimore to ask for Reyes to. Other then Gomez the Mets really don't have the prospects that other teams have that are looking for starting pitching does.

I think the Mets will get Silva, Livan, or Blanton if they get starting pitching this offseason but I don't see them making a huge splash.
      Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 11-29-2007, 08:48 AM.
      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

How can the Mets even consider trading Jose Reyes?
        He's the face of the Franchise!

This would be like the Yankees trading Derek Jeter when he was 23 or so.

Makes no sense to me. If your the Mets , you don't trade your franchise player in a situation like this.

The Mets cannot trade David Wright or Jose Reyes now.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I think a few things need to be mentioned:

1. Jose Reyes' stock dropped like a stone the second half of last season. Although he has great potential and is still very young, there are some questions out there now about attitude on and off the field. His occasional lack of effort, and his overall fall off in terms of production during the second half have raised some concerns in both the Mets front office and the front offices of other teams.

2. The Mets farm system is absolutely dry. Outside of Gomez, who is well respected in terms of being a prospect, there isn't much else. Every player the Mets had that once had market value, Pelfrey, Humber and Milledge, were never evaluated correctly by the internal staff and significantly overvalued by the front office in terms of their trade value. A year ago Lastings Milledge brings you a top bullpen arm. Today, you are lucky he brings you a middle of the road long man. Same for Pelfrey or Humber. All were marketable a year ago, and foolishly the Mets declared them off limits or placed such a premium on them that it essentially made them untouchable.

3. If the Mets fan base sincerely wants them to go out and get a big name like Santana, then they need to be prepared to part with a player like Reyes, because that's the only way they can be serious contenders to land that type of player.

4. By trading for and signing a player like Santana, for the amount of money they are indicating it will take to sign him, you are significantly impacting your future budget that can be spent on re-signing current players or signing future free agents. Remember that in 2009 the Mets will need to sign a first baseman, and likely a closer as well, at the very least. Nevermind they will need to go out and actually get a real catcher before the 2008 season starts and the only way to actually get anyone at this point is via trade and if you trade everything for Santana you are not going to have much left to use to go get that catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
            How can the Mets even consider trading Jose Reyes?
            He's the face of the Franchise!

This would be like the Yankees trading Derek Jeter when he was 23 or so.

Makes no sense to me. If your the Mets , you don't trade your franchise player in a situation like this.

The Mets cannot trade David Wright or Jose Reyes now.
            David Wright is the face of the franchise, its current and future leader, and is hands down the best player on that squad.

I agree that David is not touchable in any way.

I am not sold on Reyes.

Comment

Originally posted by sds416 View Post
              I think a few things need to be mentioned:

1. Jose Reyes' stock dropped like a stone the second half of last season. Although he has great potential and is still very young, there are some questions out there now about attitude on and off the field. His occasional lack of effort, and his overall fall off in terms of production during the second half have raised some concerns in both the Mets front office and the front offices of other teams.

2. The Mets farm system is absolutely dry. Outside of Gomez, who is well respected in terms of being a prospect, there isn't much else. Every player the Mets had that once had market value, Pelfrey, Humber and Milledge, were never evaluated correctly by the internal staff and significantly overvalued by the front office in terms of their trade value. A year ago Lastings Milledge brings you a top bullpen arm. Today, you are lucky he brings you a middle of the road long man. Same for Pelfrey or Humber. All were marketable a year ago, and foolishly the Mets declared them off limits or placed such a premium on them that it essentially made them untouchable.

3. If the Mets fan base sincerely wants them to go out and get a big name like Santana, then they need to be prepared to part with a player like Reyes, because that's the only way they can be serious contenders to land that type of player.

4. By trading for and signing a player like Santana, for the amount of money they are indicating it will take to sign him, you are significantly impacting your future budget that can be spent on re-signing current players or signing future free agents. Remember that in 2009 the Mets will need to sign a first baseman, and likely a closer as well, at the very least. Nevermind they will need to go out and actually get a real catcher before the 2008 season starts and the only way to actually get anyone at this point is via trade and if you trade everything for Santana you are not going to have much left to use to go get that catcher.
              1) Reyes is still very young @ 23 and it's too soon to say he's an off-field issue waiting to happen. That could be said about anyone. You can't give him that rep ...yet. So he had a bad 2nd Half, he's still growing.

2) The Mets farm is not dry, its the Sahara with only Martinez to look to.

3) The Mets cannot be real contenders for Santana, IMO they just don't have the chips besides Jose Reyes.
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Reyes turns 25 early next season. He's been in the majors long enough that he should be maturing on and off the field.

I would not trade Reyes for Santana, especially while pitchers like Bedard may still be available. I think you can get Bedard for prospects they have especially if you take a salary off their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                  Reyes turns 25 early next season. He's been in the majors long enough that he should be maturing on and off the field.

I would not trade Reyes for Santana, especially while pitchers like Bedard may still be available. I think you can get Bedard for prospects they have especially if you take a salary off their hands.
                  The Mets have no real Prospects. I don't think the O's want Reyes for Bedard either, they still have to unload Tejada before they would even entertain going for Reyes...unless they immediately flip him.

Comment

1) Reyes is still very young @ 23 and it's too soon to say he's an off-field issue waiting to happen. That could be said about anyone. You can't give him that rep ...yet. So he had a bad 2nd Half, he's still growing.

2) The Mets farm is not dry, its the Sahara with only Martinez to look to.

3) The Mets cannot be real contenders for Santana, IMO they just don't have the chips besides Jose Reyes.
                    As others have indicated, he is actually 25. And as for the off-field stuff, there are some off field issues, which are the subject of some concern/discussion in the Met front office. They are not related directly to the scuttlebut about him being seen out late in Latin clubs, but have some basis in other stuff.

IF (and I stress if) the Mets were to make Jose Reyes available to the Twins in a deal for Santana, the Mets would be most certainly in the running.

Comment

The Twins want Reyes and O'Malley wants ice water. Doesn't mean they get what they want.
                      Reyes and Wright should be untouchable.
                      ---
                      Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
                      Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

The Mets have no real Prospects. I don't think the O's want Reyes for Bedard either, they still have to unload Tejada before they would even entertain going for Reyes...unless they immediately flip him.
                        Yes they do have prospects. Maybe not as highly rated as some fans think, but certainly of some value. Maybe they can't get Santana, no sense not checking. And of course the Twins start by asking for Reyes, just like they'll ask for Hughes from the Yanks. Be intereting to see what they end up with.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                          Yes they do have prospects. Maybe not as highly rated as some fans think, but certainly of some value. Maybe they can't get Santana, no sense not checking. And of course the Twins start by asking for Reyes, just like they'll ask for Hughes from the Yanks. Be intereting to see what they end up with.
                          Outside of Gomez, the Mets have NOTHING that is of much interest or value to anyone. If you think that Lastings Milledge, Mike Pelfrey or Humber will bring you anything of worth, you are delusional.

Comment

It seems implausible that the Mets would consider trading Reyes. Of course, they did move him to second base in deference to the scintillatiing Kaz Matsui. I don't blame the Twins for inquiring, I just hope Minaya rejects their offer.

Comment

If that's what it is going to cost for Santana, I am willing to pay the price. The Mets better be. At the least, it will make the Yankees and Red Sox have to give up more. I'm all in favor of giving the Twins even more given how much I dislike the Yankees and Red Sox.
                              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X