Twins Want Jose Reyes for Santana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18270

Ridiculous. I’ve seen that mentioned in some NY papers, and it’s absurd. Carlos Gomez is very highly-rated within the game. Fernando Martinez (who seems to be their one untouchable) is still one of the top 10-12 prospects in the game. Pelfrey hasn’t even turned 24 yet, and he’s still mid-90’s with plus sink. I have no idea why it’s fashionable to bash the Mets young players, but they have plenty of assets to go get another starter. Whether they choose to part with them or not is the question.
    It's nice to see someone intelligent talk about the Mets' prospects.

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    Omar said, Reyes, Wright, Marinez(Pedro), and Beltran are the only non-tradeables.
    He needs to change his mind if he wants to improve this team. Livan Hernandez will not cut it.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
      Because Kenny Williams isn't Billy Beane. If you think the Mets couldn't get Orlando Cabrera from a team needing OF and pitching, then how do you think they could get Miguel Tejada?
      I really don't think they are that desperate for starting pitching. Vazquez and Buehrle are both good pitchers. Add the two young pitchers in Danks and Floyd that I you would think even after a bad year for both they still have faith in them to develop more. The only old bad pitcher on their team is Contreras and they could replace him with Gio Gonzalez who is a good starting pitching prospect.

Unless the Mets offer someone like Maine or Perez I doubt they would give up Cabrera, which they could get a better bounty for then a Pelfrey and Milledge package. There are options out there for CF also like Andruw, Rowand, or cheaper options like Crisp, DeJesus, Bradley, or Cameron. Milledge is solid but from the way the market is it is easier to fill CF right now then to find a starting SS.
      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
        I really don't think they are that desperate for starting pitching. Vazquez and Buehrle are both good pitchers. Add the two young pitchers in Danks and Floyd that I you would think even after a bad year for both they still have faith in them to develop more. The only old bad pitcher on their team is Contreras and they could replace him with Gio Gonzalez who is a good starting pitching prospect.
        Buehrle is a decent soft tosser. I don't know if Vazquez will repeat. Danks and Floyd are nothing worth holding onto. They're both 5th starters at best.

Unless the Mets offer someone like Maine or Perez I doubt they would give up Cabrera, which they could get a better bounty for then a Pelfrey and Milledge package.
        No. Caberea is in his 30's and a FA after next year. There's no demand for shortstops. It won't take Maine or Perez to get him. At least it shouldn't/

There are options out there for CF also like Andruw, Rowand, or cheaper options like Crisp, DeJesus, Bradley, or Cameron. Milledge is solid but from the way the market is it is easier to fill CF right now then to find a starting SS.
        Jones sucks and will be too expensive. Rowand will likely be too expensive as well. Crisp sucks. Bradley will be out half the year. Cameron will want a multi year deal and will be out for 25 games. Don't know much about DeJesus.
        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18270

It's nice to see someone intelligent talk about the Mets' prospects.

He needs to change his mind if he wants to improve this team. Livan Hernandez will not cut it.
          Trading those guys doesn't improve your team.

Comment

Adding the best pitcher in baseball does improve your team. Mets will always score enough runs. They won't always prevent the opposing team from doing so.

Comment

Buehrle is a decent soft tosser. I don't know if Vazquez will repeat. Danks and Floyd are nothing worth holding onto. They're both 5th starters at best.
              Danks and Floyd both have good stuff they just need more refinement if the White Sox give up on them then they are pretty dumb. Right now you are right that Danks and Floyd are both fifth starters but the same could be said of Pelfrey and Humber, and Pelfrey is the one out of those two that I think has good potential.

No. Caberea is in his 30's and a FA after next year. There's no demand for shortstops. It won't take Maine or Perez to get him. At least it shouldn't.
              Even if he is in his 30's and a FA next year I could easily see the Cubs offering perhaps a better pitcher. Cabrera is still a good hitting SS and a good defensive one. Also I just don't see the White Sox trading him unless it is a deal they can't refuse. I think they will trade Uribe even if they resigned him.

Jones sucks and will be too expensive. Rowand will likely be too expensive as well. Crisp sucks. Bradley will be out half the year. Cameron will want a multi year deal and will be out for 25 games. Don't know much about DeJesus.
              I think just saying Jones sucks after one bad season is pretty quick to judge someone. I am not the biggest fan of Jones as I complained about him a lot but his value has gone down and I have read more people write about a 1 year deal then a huge 6 - 8 year contract that is worth 16 - 20 million a year. For a 1 year 13 - 15 million Jones is worth the risk as he is still one of the elites in terms of defense and could easily rebound to his career average numbers.

I agree with Rowand being expensive but still the White Sox have been linked to him in some rumors and articles so it is not out of the question.

Crisp is a very good defensive CF and is a average offensive player but he is still semi-cheap at 4.75 million and you would have him for at potentially another 2 year after next season to try and find a younger better replacement.

I forgot about Bradley's injury so that would likely take him off the list of decent cheap options.

Cameron even with being out 25 games (which is more reasonable then Bradley's expected time out) is still a decent option in my opinion he might be cheaper because of the suspension. I could see the White Sox sticking a stopgap guy for a few weeks like Anderson or Owens.

I also forgot to add Kenny Lofton who despite being old is still a pretty decent player both defensively and offensively.

I have gotten off track though since this discussion is about the Mets having to give up Reyes for Santana. I think that trading Reyes would be a mistake as Reyes is a key part to the Mets offense.

Adding the best pitcher in baseball does improve your team. Mets will always score enough runs. They won't always prevent the opposing team from doing so.
              I agree it helps the Mets but losing Reyes even if he struggled during the the last couple of months will hurt the team just as much. Reyes puts a ton of pressure on opposing teams defenses and the pitching allowing hitters behind him to put up even better numbers up. Also there it is no sure thing that Santana will resign even if the Mets have the money Santana could see 20 million dollars a year or more on the horizon. If the Mets are willing to take that risk then good for them but I see it as the same situation as the Braves trade for Tex except instead of a bunch of prospects they are trading perhaps the best leadoff hitter in the game today. If you resign him it is a great deal but if not then they gave up a great young player for 1 year of a great pitcher.
              Extend Prado!!!

Comment

I'd rather have the next pitcher on the list for prospects, than Santana with no Reyes on the team.

Comment

Livan Hernandez isn't a Met, why does everyone think he is?:noidea

Comment

Maybe i should quit on bb. After the mets aren't going to do anything smart. Never have and at this rate never will.
                    Trusted Traders: Nerfan Dalkowski110

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X