Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minaya speaks

http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...TS01/711290464

NEW YORK — General manager Omar Minaya said the Mets' priority during next week's Winter Meetings is pitching and confirmed the club has an interest in Johan Santana.

"Believe me, we are in contact with the clubs of all these guys," Minaya said this afternoon at Shea Stadium. "No club has told us, 'You're not in it.' "

The list includes Minnesota's Santana, Baltimore's Erik Bedard, and Dan Haren of Oakland.

Last year, Minaya told Mets' ownership $126 million over seven years was too steep a price to pay for free agent pitcher Barry Zito, who signed with San Francisco.

He has not made a similar recommendation about Santana.

A two-time Cy Young Award winner, Santana would cost more than money. Minaya said he's prepared to deal prospects, but shortstop Jose Reyes is off limits.

"We are very happy with Jose Reyes," Minaya said. "Jose Reyes is part of our core. I don't see us trading Jose Reyes."
    This pretty much confirms the best we're going to get is Livan Hernandez.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
    http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...TS01/711290464

This pretty much confirms the best we're going to get is Livan Hernandez.
    Yeah, all wrapped up a week before the winter meetings.

Comment

It's true. No team likes our prospects thanks to the organization overvaluing them and rushing them up to the majors which only hurts their value.
      "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

It's true. No team likes our prospects thanks to the organization overvaluing them and rushing them up to the majors which only hurts their value.
        You're reading and believing crap written by baseball writers who have to come up with something to fill space until there's real news. One story's got Reyes as going to Minny, the next has Omar saying he's untouchable. How about letting Omar do his job before declaring a disaster.

Comment

They have overvalued their prospect. They thought they were getting robbed when Beane offered Blanton for Milledge straightup. Now you couldn't get Blanton for Milledge, Pelfrey, and Humber.

Omar is only as good as the free agents available. When Beltran and Pedro are available, he's great. When it's Luis Castillo and Livan Hernandez, he's awful.

Comment

They have overvalued their prospect. They thought they were getting robbed when Beane offered Blanton for Milledge straightup. Now you couldn't get Blanton for Milledge, Pelfrey, and Humber.

Omar is only as good as the free agents available. When Beltran and Pedro are available, he's great. When it's Luis Castillo and Livan Hernandez, he's awful.
            Yep, let's forget about Maine and Perez. Omar only signs FA. How many guys in the Mets starting line-up last year were signed as FA? Beltran and Alou.

Comment

Since the Nady trade, what trades has Omar done to improve the team? Exclude the Castillo deal b/c that was more of a salary dump.

Comment

Not as much in the last year. As he said in today's article, you can't force it. They got hit by injuries, and not just the old guys. Endy and Milledge went down for awhile. And still it took that ridiculous collapse to keep them out.

Don't think you can just dismiss Castillo either. Taking advantage of salary dumps is something a good GM does.

Comment

I don't think Minaya has a great history of making good trades. He is good at spending money. We will see if his group is good at scouting and developing talent. It amazes me that a couple of years ago the Yankee's system was by many accounts "barren" and now thay have all these guys. They sign FA's and lose picks too. So, what happened to the Mets?

I don't think Minaya will get any top pitcher this offseason. It's all press related hot stove smoke. The A's just tease, the Twins aren't a good match and the O's (according to the Balt. Sun) turned down an initial offer of Gomez, Heilman and another player believed to be Humber for Bedard. He will have to throw in Pelfrey and one of Milledge or FMart to get their interest. Bedard extension talks have stalled.

So sign Silva or Hernandez and hope a 5th starter committee of Pelfrey, Humber, Sosa, El Duque can hold the fort. Do we have any A type free agents (Shawn Green) to offer arbitration? Maybe they should and see if they can position for more picks. They have 2 first rounders and a supp. pick now. Hopefully the scouts are doing well/better this year.

Comment

Would he trade Reyes, prospects and $ for Santana, Haren, and Berdard all together, from the same team?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X