Mets to retire Koosman’s Jersey !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets to retire Koosman’s Jersey !

The Mets announced that they will retire Jerry Koosman’s 36 next year .

I congratulate Mets ownership and management on this ! That’s right - I am giving Lil Jeff props !

Back In 2009 I convinced my wife to hold up a banner with me above the left field wall on the game versus Philly when they honored the ‘69 Mets. It said “Kooz and Payson belong on this wall “. I believe Mister B tried to get a photo of it but the angle from his seats at the time didn’t work .

Now , would it really be so difficult to put the name of Payson next to the name of Shea? it would look much nicer than that utility entrance that is off limits to the public named for Payson ?

Nice, he deserves it and I completely agree about Payson!

Here are the other Mets I think should see their number retired: Daryl Strawberry, Doc Gooden, David Wright. Outside of them, I am glad the organization is stingy with retired numbers. The team across town has retired so many numbers, it has become a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Here are the other Mets I think should see their number retired: Daryl Strawberry, Doc Gooden, David Wright. Outside of them, I am glad the organization is stingy with retired numbers. The team across town has retired so many numbers, it has become a joke.
      It’s a bit of a stretch but no Met should ever wear 24 again . They have been stingy with giving it out , it should be retired .

100% agree about the NYY - Way too many who shouldn’t be .

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

It’s a bit of a stretch but no Met should ever wear 24 again . They have been stingy with giving it out , it should be retired .

Well, they did give it to Kelvin Torve in 1990. Outside of him, Rickey Henderson and Robinson Cano have it as their number since Mays. There were also 7 people who wore his number for the Mets before Mays came to the team. I heard about the move to have the number retired. Mays played for the Giants for most of his career. Not the Mets. He only played for the Mets for 2 seasons at the very end of his career. Mays was with the Giants for 21 years and 14 of those was when the team played in SF. The team moved to San Francisco. I don't want Dodgers or Giants players being honored by the Mets. I don't care what their legacy was in NY. What they accomplished moved with them when they moved to California. I think it was equally silly that the Brewers retired Hank Aaron's number.

By contrast, there have been 16 players to wear 18 since Strawberry, 14 players won 16 since Gooden, 29 have worn 36 since Koosman, and interestingly, 2 players wore 14 after Hodges: Swoboda and Boyer.

I am okay with them being stingy with people wearing Mays' number, but don't retire it!

Comment

I think it's very cool the org's gonna retire #36. Definitely.

I'm also in the Hernandez camp.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

I think 24 is important to the Mets too. Many naysayers opine Mays was a washed up geezer when he played in Flushing, but they forget he was a Met for most of the Seventies, not to mention he wore the orange logo (and primary road uniform) for most of the Fifties. His strong connection to the org warrants the respect imho.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Well, they did give it to Kelvin Torve in 1990. Outside of him, Rickey Henderson and Robinson Cano have it as their number since Mays. There were also 7 people who wore his number for the Mets before Mays came to the team. I heard about the move to have the number retired. Mays played for the Giants for most of his career. Not the Mets. He only played for the Mets for 2 seasons at the very end of his career. Mays was with the Giants for 21 years and 14 of those was when the team played in SF. The team moved to San Francisco. I don't want Dodgers or Giants players being honored by the Mets. I don't care what their legacy was in NY. What they accomplished moved with them when they moved to California. I think it was equally silly that the Brewers retired Hank Aaron's number.

By contrast, there have been 16 players to wear 18 since Strawberry, 14 players won 16 since Gooden, 29 have worn 36 since Koosman, and interestingly, 2 players wore 14 after Hodges: Swoboda and Boyer.

I am okay with them being stingy with people wearing Mays' number, but don't retire it!
              I presume you must want the rotunda to be renamed after a Met ? Citi was built as Fred’s shrine to the Dodgers . We have Robinson mania all over the place .

Willie Mays was the greatest player in NY national league history . He was probably the greatest player in NL history period .

Mrs Payson bugged Stoneham for years to get Mays . Mrs Payson was the lone Giants owner to stay in NYC . Like it or not , there is lineage there .

Carter and Hernandez had their best years with the Expos and Cardinals . Do you really want Kranepool and Cleon ?

Comment

Agreed on Payson as well.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

I presume you must want the rotunda to be renamed after a Met ? Citi was built as Fred’s shrine to the Dodgers . We have Robinson mania all over the place .

Willie Mays was the greatest player in NY national league history . He was probably the greatest player in NL history period .

Mrs Payson bugged Stoneham for years to get Mays . Mrs Payson was the lone Giants owner to stay in NYC . Like it or not , there is lineage there .

Carter and Hernandez had their best years with the Expos and Cardinals . Do you really want Kranepool and Cleon ?
                  Why would I want Kranepool or Cleon? I never even mentioned them. Gooden, Strawberry, maybe Wright. That's it after Koosman. Honor Payson in a much better fashion and yes, I want t see more Met history at Citi Field. I don't want to see Giants and Dodgers shrines all over the place. I'm a Mets fan. Not a Giants or Dodgers fan.

Comment

The Mets announced that they will retire Jerry Koosman’s 36 next year .

I congratulate Mets ownership and management on this ! That’s right - I am giving Lil Jeff props !

Back In 2009 I convinced my wife to hold up a banner with me above the left field wall on the game versus Philly when they honored the ‘69 Mets. It said “Kooz and Payson belong on this wall “. I believe Mister B tried to get a photo of it but the angle from his seats at the time didn’t work .

Now , would it really be so difficult to put the name of Payson next to the name of Shea? it would look much nicer than that utility entrance that is off limits to the public named for Payson ?

Seems like odd timing, though. It should have been done years ago, Carter, Keith, Darryl and Gooden should also have retired numbers.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Besides Jackie Robinson which every team had to retire - If you are not a Met your number doesnt get retired in Citi Field. That includes Mays.

I love Willie Mays. I always wore #24 because of Mays (still do). I have a baseball with a 24 tattooed on my arm. So its not like I am disrespecting Mays. He wasnt an impact Met. He was a Giant and his number is retired in SF.

The Mets dont have a great history, but poaching someone elses doesnt make it yours. So celebrate what is yours.

5, 8, 16, 17, 18, 36 should all be up on the wall along with the others. All of those numbers should have been retired before they retired Piazza's. Of course with the exception of Wright because he was still playing when they retired Piazza's number.

Another question - why isnt #3 retired in every park?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

What did Harold Baines do that makes him so special that his number should be retired by every team?

I think baseball did the right thing by retiring Jackie Robinson's number. That said, no one, including the great Babe Ruth deserves their number to be retired by every team. It is better to have that number available for people who might want it for good luck. Individual teams are free to do whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Seems like odd timing, though. It should have been done years ago, Carter, Keith, Darryl and Gooden should also have retired numbers.
                          The intention this entire season was to retire his number. I think they waited until now to announce it to deflect the fact that this season was nowhere near what the organization hyped it up to be.

Comment

What did Harold Baines do that makes him so special that his number should be retired by every team?

I think baseball did the right thing by retiring Jackie Robinson's number. That said, no one, including the great Babe Ruth deserves their number to be retired by every team. It is better to have that number available for people who might want it for good luck. Individual teams are free to do whatever they want.
                            What if 42 is their lucky number?

I get Robinson's 42 being retired. No issue.

Ruth is not only considered the greatest player ever, but he changed the game. He changed the way the game gets played. Nobody in the history of baseball has done that to nearly that degree. Ruth is also credited with saving the game after the White Sox tossed the series against the Reds. How much of that is true...who knows? If it is true maybe Robinson doesnt get a chance if Ruth doesnt redirect the game. . Again who knows?

We do know that in our lifetime we have seen power hitters bring the game back from the dead. In 1998 baseball was still sucking wind after the 94 strike. The Mac/Sosa HR race brought it back. Some will say the first shot to bringing it back was Ripkens streak in 1995, but that didnt have nearly the impact.

Probably wont happen but I wouldnt be against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                              Besides Jackie Robinson which every team had to retire - If you are not a Met your number doesnt get retired in Citi Field. That includes Mays.

I love Willie Mays. I always wore #24 because of Mays (still do). I have a baseball with a 24 tattooed on my arm. So its not like I am disrespecting Mays. He wasnt an impact Met. He was a Giant and his number is retired in SF.

The Mets dont have a great history, but poaching someone elses doesnt make it yours. So celebrate what is yours.

5, 8, 16, 17, 18, 36 should all be up on the wall along with the others. All of those numbers should have been retired before they retired Piazza's. Of course with the exception of Wright because he was still playing when they retired Piazza's number.

There is a movement to have Roberto Clemente’s number retired in MLB . I don’t think it will happen but who knows .

At the time when they announced Robinson’s number would be retired , I felt it should only have been in the NL and Larry Doby’s should be retired in the AL . The AL fans were possibly worse than the NL , and AL teams were much slower to integrate . The NYY sent out surveys to season ticket holders in the late 1940’s asking if they would feel comfortable sitting next to Black
                              people !

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X