This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019/2020 Mets Offseason Thread

I think most of us would consider the Mets' 2019 season promising. The problems were fixable. In a vacuum, the team is a bullpen away. I would also improve the defense.

The Offense:

Ideally, I'd put Conforto in RF, Nimmo is adequate in CF, and Smith or Davis, with defensive work, should be able to handle LF. I'd send Smith and Davis to winter ball, to work on LF and 3B, respectively, and see what progress they make. Start them working with coaches tomorrow. Both have shown good ML bats and a work ethic.

McNeil should be able to handle 3B. Ideally, the Cano trade never happened, and McNeil can play 2B, and the Mets would be in play for Rendon. Cano is survivable if his range at 2B can be improved through positioning. If the Mets are willing to sit him when called for, and if his second half means anything, he could contribute.

Perhaps if the Mets get some analytic people to handle where to position their fielders, they could improve with the players they have. I have no idea if there's been any focus on this.

Rosario's second half was very encouraging. Alonso exceeded the most optimistic expectations. Nimmo's a slightly below average defender in CF, but gets on base 40% of the time, with pop. One could argue the need for a better fielding CFer, but it's not nearly the biggest priority. Unfortunately Kelenic is gone.

Guillorme is under most people's radar, but is a great fielder who gets on base. I'd love to see him get some starts when Stroman or any contact oriented pitcher is on the mound.

Ramos's ability to frame pitches has declined after all the knee injuries, and a defense oriented catcher who can hit a little should be brought in to share time.

I honestly think, if Smith and Davis have time to learn the new positions they were forced into, the Mets might not need much else in the way of position players. Other than reducing Cano's role if he's not performing (we can dream), I can't see many immediately obvious ways to improve, other than a Rendon, or trading surplus bats for a center fielder who combines great defense and acceptable (or better) offense. Problem with trading Davis or Smith is they're vital contributors to the 25 man roster. There isn't a lot of excess to trade.

The Pitching:

Wheeler should have been extended when it was affordable. Either Wheeler or someone of equal talent needs to be signed to maintain status quo or better. There's nobody as good as Syndergaard available as cheap. The right move is to retain them both. There's really no choice. Both are top 20 ML pitchers. The fall-off between what Fred and Jeff need to spend, and what they probably want to spend would torpedo any real chance for the post-season next year. They must do the right thing.

There is no ML ready organizational depth on the mound.

Unfortunately, the Mets denuded themselves of their best Minor League pitching. Dunn, Kay, etc. could have been plugged into the bullpen at low cost. Players like Smith or Davis might well be traded away for relievers, but I feel such a return would shortchange the team, as they have more value than they've been able to build in limited playing time. Look at the Syracuse roster, and you'll realize how important they are. The most realistic way to fix the problem is to spend money.

Basically, this off-season hinges on the Wilpons' willingness to reinvest the Mets/SNY's massive revenue in the team. There isn't enough talent in the organization to trade for needed bullpen depth. The Mets are close to being authentic contenders. It's on Fred and Jeff to push the roster over the finish line.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 09-29-2019, 10:21 PM.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I agree with most of what you said above.

I would go get a CF'er which means a trade of one of or both of Smith/Davis.

I am not going to take the current roster and project it onto 2020 because I think it is quite possible that neither Wheeler or Noah will be here which changes too much of the landscape.

I have heard Noah/Conforto to the Red Sox for Betts. I dont see it but the Mets can trade some players that we think of as main stays. Noah was a big disappointment this year.

I think they still need to improve the offense. Hopefully Nimmo coming back to 2018 form helps do that. Even with that they need to improve the offense. The days of 3-2 baseball are gone. This is a now a 6-5 or 5-4 league.

As great as Alonso was we can not expect that again.

So any assessment is going to have to be done on an as we go basis.

I would like to know what the plan is.

Comment

I pretty much agree with everything Mongoose suggested. I hope they do not try to trade Davis or Smith for Bullpen help. I am okay with them trading them or anyone else not named Alonso, McNeil or deGrom for a good CF

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      I have heard Noah/Conforto to the Red Sox for Betts. I dont see it but the Mets can trade some players that we think of as main stays. Noah was a big disappointment this year.
      Unless the Mets know they can extend Betts, that would be a terrible move. I hope they do not do this. Betts is a FA at the end of the season and both Syndergaard and Conforto are under team control through 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
        I pretty much agree with everything Mongoose suggested. I hope they do not try to trade Davis or Smith for Bullpen help. I am okay with them trading them or anyone else not named Alonso, McNeil or deGrom for a good CF

Unless the Mets know they can extend Betts, that would be a terrible move. I hope they do not do this. Betts is a FA at the end of the season and both Syndergaard and Conforto are under team control through 2021.
        It would have to be with an extension which is why the Mets wont do it.

Comment

It would have to be with an extension which is why the Mets wont do it.
          If the offer was Betts and a pitcher with bullpen upside for Lowrie and Syndergaard, I make the trade.

Comment

If the offer was Betts and a pitcher with bullpen upside for Lowrie and Syndergaard, I make the trade.
            Not going to happen. Betts is a top 3-5 player in the league.

Conforto/Noah is fair.......or close to fair.

Conforto is better than Lucas Duda but suffers from streakitis like Duda. I thought Conforto was going to be the 3 hitter for decade. Hasnt happened.

Noah ...........???? ................I just dont have a clue. He should be better but isnt. I agree with Mandrake -- forget the Thor BS..............take it off of your glove. Focus on being the best pitching in the league. I have said this myself earlier this year.

I am not going to make excuses for Noah. Its not the Wilpons, the GM, or the manager. It is not the catcher or the barometric pressure. Its between his ears. He needs to get his stuff together.

I would make that trade in two seconds.

Betts goes right to CF and middle of the order -- kills two birds.

OF is Betts/Nimmo with a Davis/Smith platoon.

Who in the Red Sox bullpen do you want? Brandon Workman?

None of this is going to happen anyway.

Comment

Not going to happen. Betts is a top 3-5 player in the league.

Conforto/Noah is fair.......or close to fair.

Conforto is better than Lucas Duda but suffers from streakitis like Duda. I thought Conforto was going to be the 3 hitter for decade. Hasnt happened.

Noah ...........???? ................I just dont have a clue. He should be better but isnt. I agree with Mandrake -- forget the Thor BS..............take it off of your glove. Focus on being the best pitching in the league. I have said this myself earlier this year.

I am not going to make excuses for Noah. Its not the Wilpons, the GM, or the manager. It is not the catcher or the barometric pressure. Its between his ears. He needs to get his stuff together.

I would make that trade in two seconds.

Betts goes right to CF and middle of the order -- kills two birds.

OF is Betts/Nimmo with a Davis/Smith platoon.

Who in the Red Sox bullpen do you want? Brandon Workman?

None of this is going to happen anyway.
              Not sure why you'd want to give away Conforto like that? You can probably get Betts for Syndergaard. Betts is a rental, so his value is way down from what it would be if he were under contract beyond this year. If the Red Sox want a king's ransom for him, they are not going to get it.

Conforto may be streaky, but his OPS+ was 128 and he hit 33 HRs and with 92 RBIs. He is also a slightly above average player defensively. I'll sign up for those numbers any day, streaky or not. Betts is also a corner outfielder. He does not fill the much bigger need for a CF.

Comment

How about this for a crazy move: Syndergaard, Conforto and Smith for Blackmon? It won't happen, but the team would get the CF they need and Smith does not have a position.

That gives the team an outfield of McNeil, Davis, Nimmo, Blackmon and enables the team to rotate McNeil and Davis into the infield as needed.

Do that, make a push to either resign Wheeler or go after one of the big free agent SPs, beef up the bullpen, find a second catcher who is reliable and all of a sudden, the Mets have a team that would legitimately contend for the division.
                Last edited by jjpm74; 09-30-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

How about this for a crazy move: Syndergaard, Conforto and Smith for Blackmon? It won't happen, but the team would get the CF they need and Smith does not have a position.

That gives the team an outfield of McNeil, Davis, Nimmo, Blackmon and enables the team to rotate McNeil and Davis into the infield as needed.

Do that, make a push to either resign Wheeler or go after one of the big free agent SPs, beef up the bullpen, find a second catcher who is reliable and all of a sudden, the Mets have a team that would legitimately contend for the division.
                  His age. Blackmon will be 33 1/2 during spring training. A 27,26 and 24 yr old is too much. I bet Rockies would do it.

Comment

There aren't many days of the year I like less than the day after the last day of the season.

Is it Spring Training yet?
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                      There aren't many days of the year I like less than the day after the last day of the season.

As of this post, there are 134 days, 8 hours, 56 minutes and 22 seconds until pitchers and catchers:

http://www.springtrainingcountdown.com/#sthash.0vlH3Bd0.dpbs

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I was saying this earlier today at work. No games today. Sucks.

I am looking forward to the playoffs. I watch regardless of who is playing, and do root for the Yanks to do well so baseball is not over for me.

With that said - baseball is coming to an end quickly, and then the winter. Really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

His age. Blackmon will be 33 1/2 during spring training. A 27,26 and 24 yr old is too much. I bet Rockies would do it.
                          Do you think they would do it just for Syndergaard if the Mets assume the contract? Despite his age, Blackmon is one of the best CFers in the game. I would rather have him than Betts if the team is moving Syndergaard.

I will get pissed off if this team makes a bunch of lateral moves to get rid of Syndergaard. I don't want to hear about him getting moved for Sonny Gray and low rent prospects which the kind of move that this organization is stupid enough to do.
                          Last edited by jjpm74; 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

You would rather have Blackmon than Betts???

Comment

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Rockies would drive Blackmon to NY if that trade was offered.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X