This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

In all fairness, 31 should not be considered too old to play CF. 34-35, yes, but 31 is a stretch. If Marte is your CF and Nimmo is on the roster, he should be the LF. I hope nobody has Cespedes penciled in for LF now. He has been out for the last 2 years. JD Davis or Smith have to go but having a left handed outfielder and backup 1st baseman on the roster is more important to me than JD Davis. Marte for the next 2 years at his natural position of CF makes this team better in my opinion.

I think the Marisnick signing makes little sense if they are still thinking about Marte. I think they are set up for a Nimmo/Marisnick platoon but feel a team looking to get into the playoffs has a better chance with Marte in CF.
    Agreed 31 isnt old, but I do believe that defensive skills are one of the first things to go. So if a team that doesnt play defense at all is going to get a CF'er (especially via trade) it should be a huge improvement. He is coming off of his worst season with the glove.

Does Marte make them better? Maybe - it all depends on what is going back to Pitt. If JD Davis goes back then the Mets get an uptick because although Marte isnt Willie Mays........JD Davis is in the neighborhood of Todd Hundley as an OF'er.

If it is Nimmo then the Mets are worse in my opinion. I also dont want Dom Smith to go.

As far as Cespedes is concerned - all he is doing is muddying the waters

Marisnick is a 4th OF'er and late inning defense. Other than that I am not really sure of his role.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Agreed 31 isnt old, but I do believe that defensive skills are one of the first things to go. So if a team that doesnt play defense at all is going to get a CF'er (especially via trade) it should be a huge improvement. He is coming off of his worst season with the glove.

Does Marte make them better? Maybe - it all depends on what is going back to Pitt. If JD Davis goes back then the Mets get an uptick because although Marte isnt Willie Mays........JD Davis is in the neighborhood of Todd Hundley as an OF'er.

If it is Nimmo then the Mets are worse in my opinion. I also dont want Dom Smith to go.

As far as Cespedes is concerned - all he is doing is muddying the waters

Marisnick is a 4th OF'er and late inning defense. Other than that I am not really sure of his role.
      I see your points and it does depend on what they are giving up. I am fed up with people playing out of position. It hurts the player and it hurts the team. Nimmo has upside but as a LF , not a CF. They need a CF and if Marte can give them 2 years then those are 2 years that they are a better team. Remember, they have been very lucky to have a healthy young pitching staff. They should try to make their move now while that staff can perform and even that is no gimme for next year.

It would be nice to know that the team has a plan. I have no confidence in BVW and feel Jeffy is calling the shots even more now then he did with Sandy as GM. Maybe better to do nothing then to allow this unqualified GM ruin the team.

Comment

Not only is Marte not a need - he will be a detriment especially if Nimmo is going back to Pittsburgh. This is a bad trade just waiting to happen.

Trading for a 31 year CF'er with declining defensive skills is so Mets. A -9 DRS is not a reason for a poor defensive team to go out and get that player.

All this means is that you can probably pre-order your Marte jersey with Mets on the front, and set aside July 24th as Starling Marte bobblehead night at Citi Field.
        DiComo just tweeted Brodie doesn’t envision changing the OF mix. In other words no Marte.

Comment

• At this point, the team needs to stockpile arms for the bullpen and to fill out the 40 man roster. Let the team be and see where the chips fall during spring training.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
            At this point, the team needs to stockpile arms for the bullpen and to fill out the 40 man roster. Let the team be and see where the chips fall during spring training.
            Looks like that is going to happen and probably for the best. I know I probably value experience more than most people on here but I can never recall a time that theMets management team has had less experience. I never thought I would say this but thank god for Omar Minaya!! The scholar in the room.

Comment

I see your points and it does depend on what they are giving up. I am fed up with people playing out of position. It hurts the player and it hurts the team. Nimmo has upside but as a LF , not a CF. They need a CF and if Marte can give them 2 years then those are 2 years that they are a better team. Remember, they have been very lucky to have a healthy young pitching staff. They should try to make their move now while that staff can perform and even that is no gimme for next year.

It would be nice to know that the team has a plan. I have no confidence in BVW and feel Jeffy is calling the shots even more now then he did with Sandy as GM. Maybe better to do nothing then to allow this unqualified GM ruin the team.
              Fully agree about players out of position. Obviously this has helped lead to horrendous defense throughout the years.

It is probably the toughest owner/GM combo to have any confidence in in a very long time.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that in 2019 the Mets were relatively very healthy (pitching especially). I don't know if they replicate that in 2020. Time will answer that one. Also last year there were a couple of things that I don't get replicated. One - on a positive side is that no way the bullpen is that bad again. I just cant see that happening again. Two - I also don't see Alonso getting near that season.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

DiComo just tweeted Brodie doesn’t envision changing the OF mix. In other words no Marte.
                Yea, Capn Jeff either didn't want to give up what the Pirates wanted or didn't want to pay the salary...We may not have needed Marte but he could have been a HUGE chip on the market, especially the Pods who are willing to give up some top prospects..

The Bug strikes again!!!
                North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

Yea, Capn Jeff either didn't want to give up what the Pirates wanted or didn't want to pay the salary...We may not have needed Marte but he could have been a HUGE chip on the market, especially the Pods who are willing to give up some top prospects..

The Bug strikes again!!!
                  If the Padres can and will give up top prospects I think that is where Marte will wind up. I think the Padres want either Betts or Marte and are making a run to win now.. They want to build some protection into the lineup for Machado. I cannot help but think about this from a business prospective. From a pure money prospective, where is there more potential to generate cash for a winning franchise, San Diego or New York? I think a New York team should have a greater potential for gain if they win. So what is the reasoning for a ownership group to not give it 100%?

1. Lack of ability to pay?
                  2, Unwillingness of taking a chance to spend a lot to make a lot?
                  3. Not knowing how to build a team corrrectly?

I logically think 2 and 3 are the best answers. I think the Mets fit into a certain percentage of the Wilpon's wealth generating options. The goal at the end of the day is to create wealth and they are happy to have a safe small percentage of wealth building from the team which causes them to not want to go all in and risk lowering the overall wealth. I also think they do not know how to sustain creation of a winning franchise. They have their moments of success but because of their personalities they always try to create an angle and do not try to do something the right way.

I will be so happy once this team can be run by professionals. How a team that had been blessed by so many good arms the last 5 years has not won more is a crime. It also amazes me that a guy like deGrom has pitched so masterfully the last 2 years and is 3 games over .500.

it has become obvious for me that decisions to never try to go top shelf whether it be hiring players, managers or GMs has been the biggest downfall of this ownership. I think a lot of it, particularly in the recent GM and manager hires, is the need for control and Jeff being threatened by people involved in the running of the franchise who know more than him. Classic bad leadership skills.

I guess it will be another year of guys being out of position and enough undefined roles but still a need to keep people sharp that very seldom is the best team put out on the field. It is very tough to win that way and makes it very tough even for a seasoned manager to succeed.
                  Last edited by rjsallstars; 01-25-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

If the Padres can and will give up top prospects I think that is where Marte will wind up. I think the Padres want either Betts or Marte and are making a run to win now.. They want to build some protection into the lineup for Machado. I cannot help but think about this from a business prospective. From a pure money prospective, where is there more potential to generate cash for a winning franchise, San Diego or New York? I think a New York team should have a greater potential for gain if they win. So what is the reasoning for a ownership group to not give it 100%?

1. Lack of ability to pay?
                    2, Unwillingness of taking a chance to spend a lot to make a lot?
                    3. Not knowing how to build a team corrrectly?

I logically think 2 and 3 are the best answers. I think the Mets fit into a certain percentage of the Wilpon's wealth generating options. The goal at the end of the day is to create wealth and they are happy to have a safe small percentage of wealth building from the team which causes them to not want to go all in and risk lowering the overall wealth. I also think they do not know how to sustain creation of a winning franchise. They have their moments of success but because of their personalities they always try to create an angle and do not try to do something the right way.

I will be so happy once this team can be run by professionals. How a team that had been blessed by so many good arms the last 5 years has not won more is a crime. It also amazes me that a guy like deGrom has pitched so masterfully the last 2 years and is 3 games over .500.

it has become obvious for me that decisions to never try to go top shelf whether it be hiring players, managers or GMs has been the biggest downfall of this ownership. I think a lot of it, particularly in the recent GM and manager hires, is the need for control and Jeff being threatened by people involved in the running of the franchise who know more than him. Classic bad leadership skills.

I guess it will be another year of guys being out of position and enough undefined roles but still a need to keep people sharp that very seldom is the best team put out on the field. It is very tough to win that way and makes it very tough even for a seasoned manager to succeed.
                    I agree with you all the way around ..Popa Fred wanted to hand this franchise over to Capn Jeff and let the beat go on. Pops should have made the good Capn start with a apprenticeship in the FSL St Lucie team and work his way up. The good Capn has never worked for anything in his life and sure as heck doesn't know how to run a minor league operation of any kind, much less a MLB operation.

And we are left with what is..

Comment

Fully agree about players out of position. Obviously this has helped lead to horrendous defense throughout the years.

It is probably the toughest owner/GM combo to have any confidence in in a very long time.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that in 2019 the Mets were relatively very healthy (pitching especially). I don't know if they replicate that in 2020. Time will answer that one. Also last year there were a couple of things that I don't get replicated. One - on a positive side is that no way the bullpen is that bad again. I just cant see that happening again. Two - I also don't see Alonso getting near that season.
                      Pauly

Agreed.. I think Mets fans are counting too heavily on Alonso having another great season. Time will tell but I, like you, am sceptical he can hit another 50.
                      My worry about the SP is that other than deGrom, they lack consistency. deGrom has already had surgery once and he's already in his 30's.

Comment

• While I am on a roll this morning. How do you think it feels for players like Smith, Davis, McNeill and Nimmo to not know what position they will be playing with less than a month to the start of Opening day? Do you think set positions and roles may at least give them a fighting chance to be adequate at one position?

Comment

While I am on a roll this morning. How do you think it feels for players like Smith, Davis, McNeill and Nimmo to not know what position they will be playing with less than a month to the start of Opening day? Do you think set positions and roles may at least give them a fighting chance to be adequate at one position?
                          McNeill is the third basemen on the team next year and will also play a little LF.

Comment

• The Mets have agreed to a minor league deal with free-agent infielder Eduardo Nunez, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com. It includes a non-roster invite to Major League Spring Training.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ague-deal.html
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

McNeill is the third basemen on the team next year and will also play a little LF.
                              You proved my point, McNeill is a 2nd baseman.

Comment

• FYI it was mentioned at Fanfest that Familia has lost 30 lbs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X