2019-2020 Mets Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milladrive
    That's right, Matt. The Yankees haven't had a losing season since... 1992... That's right!
    Who was their manager then? Buck Showalter. He’s been around forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

For sure. That sounds more like an ambition for when he gets really old, like age 40 in 4 years.
      Heh, I wish I could do an lol every time something did it in this place.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Espada is in the MLB rumors for the Cubs job. Theo hinted as much.

Honestly the MLB open managers at 7 have the rumors flying. During the playoffs.
        Right. Another good point. Can you imagine? Prolly 'cause we're lookin' at the postseason and not really watchin'. I like New York but I love the Mets.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

True, never know and do not know how back would react to travel. He may be in his family years. But you never know.
          Yeah, I agree first-hand the back (and spine in general) is a very serious thing. I would NEVER want Wright (or anyone, except perhaps Mark David Chapman) to do anything to jeopardize his mobility.

Now, assuming he has the best health care on the planet, if he wants the job, I'm all for giving it to him.

A manager can make a 10-game swing in the standings. I think who's hired should be taken seriously.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Truer words can't be spoken.
            Pretty awesome when you see the top tier teams year in year out put an effort into winning with great scouting, coaching, mgmt, ownership while spending money to do so.

I am not familiar with that sensation.
            Last edited by Paulypal; 10-04-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• As far as the manager goes I think we all know it will be someone that will have head movement ability of a bobblehead limited to the up/down YES motion. Yes Brodie...…...…...Yes Jeff...……..Yes Fred.

With the exception of an established veteran manager I will be skeptical of the hire because of the above belief. I just cant see them hiring a manager that will give them a mental challenge. At least outwardly. I can imagine a first timer saying yes and then rolling his eyes after the fact realizing the morons he is dealing with but Girardi or Buck will fire back at point of contact.

I just don't believe that we get that kind of manager.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                As far as the manager goes I think we all know it will be someone that will have head movement ability of a bobblehead limited to the up/down YES motion. Yes Brodie...…...…...Yes Jeff...……..Yes Fred.

With the exception of an established veteran manager I will be skeptical of the hire because of the above belief. I just cant see them hiring a manager that will give them a mental challenge. At least outwardly. I can imagine a first timer saying yes and then rolling his eyes after the fact realizing the morons he is dealing with but Girardi or Buck will fire back at point of contact.

I just don't believe that we get that kind of manager.
                How can anyone who's been following this team even remotely not understand where this post is coming from? I know I do. Sad.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• Alonso was on Stephen Colbert tonight. Lotsa fun.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

Agreed. Add Yankees and Red Sox to that list.
                    Let’s not forget The St Louis Cardinals . Have no idea how they do it year after year . Might also consider Atlanta a step below .

And while the Dodgers have 7 division titles in a row, the Giants have those 3 WS .

By the way very classy move by the Dodgers - they actually showed the Giants winning all 3 WS during their tribute to Bruce Bochy . The Dodgers are just a first rate organization .

Comment

• Jon Heyman- Girardi interviewing with Cubs and also keenly interested in Mets job.

Comment

Jon Heyman- Girardi interviewing with Cubs and also keenly interested in Mets job.
                        Sounds like Girardi keenly interested in paycheck.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Sounds like Girardi keenly interested in paycheck.
                          He already is getting paid as a great analyst on MLB, and also announcing.

I think he really wants to manage....money aside. I am sure the paycheck will be better as a manager, but I think he loves managing.

Now coming to the Mets not sure what he will manage

Comment

I think he really wants to manage....money aside. I am sure the paycheck will be better as a manager, but I think he loves managing.

I usually am wrong but I think he ends up with the Cubs .

Mets fans may come up with nicknames for their staff ( Dark Knight , Thor , deGrominator , Flushing Five ) but after 2 games it looks like the Astros have an epic staff .
                            When the Tampa manager says “ we were Verlandererd “ and then Cole has his 15k 1 walk performance . Next up Greinke .

No telling how much Cohen would be shouting and drooling over Houston’s starters .
                            Last edited by mandrake; 10-06-2019, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Mets fans may come up with nicknames for their staff ( Dark Knight , Thor , deGrominator , Flushing Five ) but after 2 games it looks like the Astros have an epic staff .
                              When the Tampa manager says “ we were Verlandererd “ and then Cole has his 15k 1 walk performance . Next up Greinke .

No telling how much Cohen would be shouting and drooling over Houston’s starters .
                              Joe is a Illinois boy. Went to HS in Peoria and then Northwestern in Evanston. Anyone who remembers the Loria/Girardi/Umpire mess a few years back knows Joe is not afraid to open his mouth.
                              North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Low fan expectations.

Originally posted by mandrake View Post

I'd thought Tampa pitching could hold the Astro's offense in check. To a degree it has. But not enough to make up for what Houston's starters have done to Tampa's relatively weak lineup. Yankees should do better than that offensively, but their top down pitching's not as good.

Tampa's got one great arm after another, but are still outclassed. It gives an idea of how much work's needed on the bullpen here. The talk about focusing on a center fielder is concerning. They need to re-sign Wheeler or someone better, and assemble a bullpen. A center fielder is way down on the list.

Much of Tampa's bullpen seems to have been acquired in recent trades. Their performance with the Rays is far better than with their previous teams. Why not hire a top team of analytics people and coaches to do the same here. They seem to be drawing out talent that wasn't apparent before. Also spend a little on an analytics team to improve fielder positioning, to improve defense. UnWilponlike, since there'd be no back page splash, but it seems an economical way of coaxing more wins out of the same player payroll.

It's scary to think of what Chaim Bloom could do with a budget - which probably has little to do with being GM here.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X