This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Teams W-L records change frequently. The Red Sox went from World Champs to last place this decade. Same for Royals. Until this season the O’s had won the division more recently than the Yanks. You are what your record says you are.

IMO geography is a factor in rooting interest - Chicago fans make the Milwaukee owners a fortune. Replace Cubs games with AZ or FL in Milwaukee?

You can’t balance a schedule -just like you can’t even out the travel schedule for each team to equal the travel schedule for every other team.
    I think that proves why a balanced schedule works. Because team W/L does change so playing them the same amount of times for everyone in your league gives nobody an advantage any given year. It doesnt matter what team takes a downward turn. Everyone plays them the same amount of times.

Ok geography is a factor in rooting interest..........so? We are not eliminating teams.........just the divisions.

Baseball had two leagues for 100 years with only one team from each advancing. Now making 5 teams from each keeps all the same interest without giving an advantage in any given year.

It wont happen of course but it could work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
      Mets, Carlos Beltran Reportedly Have Mutual Interest In Exploring Managerial Fit
      https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...erial-fit.html
      Here is how the mutual interest goes:

Jeff Wilpon -- "Hi Carlos, I know we hate eachother, but you want to be a manager, and we dont want to pay an established guy. Especially while we are paying Callaway for 2020. We expect you to be Joey Van Slicks puppet and walk the company line. You are coming cheap and that is your greatest asset to us. Are you interested?"

Carlos Beltran - "Jeff in spite of my deep seeded hatred for you and your father I am willing to take this on to get myself some managing experience so as soon as I learn I can get the hell away from you AGAIN. I will even be willing listen to the idiot GM you hired for a year or two before I bolt".

Jeff Willpon - to the Met public relations manager - "Jay tell the media we have mutual interest with Carlos Beltran. Also call Gary Cohen and tell him to take this off season to come up with snide remarks about Mickey Callaway".

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Why? Wouldn't an even number of teams in an even number of divisions help? I also seem to recall both game and travel scheduling being much simpler years ago. Forget that doubleheaders were a regular occurrence, adding extra days to the calendar, the days when the Mets went West twice a year, for instance, there'd always be a day off before and after. Just seemed more tidy is all.

I think your points re both geography and wins are valid.
        The last time there were an even number of teams in an even number of divisions- you may be thinking about 1993 when there were 2 divisions with 7 teams each, 28 mlb teams and 1 division winner played the other division winner, then WS. MLB won't go back to that with 30 teams, one division would have 7 teams and one would have 8. Oh yes and more playoff games = more $.

The last time the Mets went west twice a year was in 1997, before expansion. The travel schedule was simpler back then. But no Arizona team at the time and Colorado was fairly new on the scene.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I think that proves why a balanced schedule works. Because team W/L does change so playing them the same amount of times for everyone in your league gives nobody an advantage any given year. It doesnt matter what team takes a downward turn. Everyone plays them the same amount of times.

Ok geography is a factor in rooting interest..........so? We are not eliminating teams.........just the divisions.

Baseball had two leagues for 100 years with only one team from each advancing. Now making 5 teams from each keeps all the same interest without giving an advantage in any given year.

It wont happen of course but it could work.
          Playing each team the same number of times isn't a balanced schedule practically speaking. IMO a balanced schedule doesn't exist.
          Why? Reasons-

1- weather. There are teams that play in 40 degree weather in Minnesota the same day that teams are playing in Southern CA. Or in a domed stadium.

2- geographic distance. The one way distance between the Chicago White Sox and every other team in the AL is 14,480 miles combined. The one way distance between the Seattle Mariners and every other team in the AL is 32,503 miles combined. Not balanced in any way.

3- the injured list. Playing a team when Trout, Bellinger, Correa, Rendon, Cole, Strasburg, Kershaw etc is injured is a different experience than playing that same team when they are on the field.

4- pitching rotation. Playing the Houston Astros the same number of times and missing Verlander each time is totally different from playing the Astros the same number of times and getting Verlander three times.

5- the trade deadline. Happen to play a team after the trade deadline when they get a huge addition or lose a huge player to a trade? The composition of the team is totally different now.

A balanced schedule in theory sounds fair. As if playing the same team the same number of times is somehow just. The travel component alone doesn't work. The team composition changes.

It can be just as random playing the same team the same number of times as not. Except the geography. You can't move Seattle or Tampa.

Comment

Jeff Wilpon -- "Hi Carlos, I know we hate eachother, but you want to be a manager, and we dont want to pay an established guy. Especially while we are paying Callaway for 2020. We expect you to be Joey Van Slicks puppet and walk the company line. You are coming cheap and that is your greatest asset to us. Are you interested?"

Carlos Beltran - "Jeff in spite of my deep seeded hatred for you and your father I am willing to take this on to get myself some managing experience so as soon as I learn I can get the hell away from you AGAIN. I will even be willing listen to the idiot GM you hired for a year or two before I bolt".

Jeff Willpon - to the Met public relations manager - "Jay tell the media we have mutual interest with Carlos Beltran. Also call Gary Cohen and tell him to take this off season to come up with snide remarks about Mickey Callaway".

lol.......
            Put it in the books.

Comment

The last time there were an even number of teams in an even number of divisions- you may be thinking about 1993 when there were 2 divisions with 7 teams each, 28 mlb teams and 1 division winner played the other division winner, then WS. MLB won't go back to that with 30 teams, one division would have 7 teams and one would have 8. Oh yes and more playoff games = more $.

The last time the Mets went west twice a year was in 1997, before expansion. The travel schedule was simpler back then. But no Arizona team at the time and Colorado was fairly new on the scene.
              It has been a long time, hasn't it. Heh, I know I'm dating myself but I went way back to four 6-team divisions. :o

Turns out I misunderstood what you were saying. Or at very least hadn't grasped the depth of it.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Pauly

One of your best!!
                North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Playing each team the same number of times isn't a balanced schedule practically speaking. IMO a balanced schedule doesn't exist.
                  Why? Reasons-

1- weather. There are teams that play in 40 degree weather in Minnesota the same day that teams are playing in Southern CA. Or in a domed stadium.

2- geographic distance. The one way distance between the Chicago White Sox and every other team in the AL is 14,480 miles combined. The one way distance between the Seattle Mariners and every other team in the AL is 32,503 miles combined. Not balanced in any way.

3- the injured list. Playing a team when Trout, Bellinger, Correa, Rendon, Cole, Strasburg, Kershaw etc is injured is a different experience than playing that same team when they are on the field.

4- pitching rotation. Playing the Houston Astros the same number of times and missing Verlander each time is totally different from playing the Astros the same number of times and getting Verlander three times.

5- the trade deadline. Happen to play a team after the trade deadline when they get a huge addition or lose a huge player to a trade? The composition of the team is totally different now.

A balanced schedule in theory sounds fair. As if playing the same team the same number of times is somehow just. The travel component alone doesn't work. The team composition changes.

It can be just as random playing the same team the same number of times as not. Except the geography. You can't move Seattle or Tampa.

Cant most of this be applied regardless of balanced or unbalanced schedule?

You have a valid point with the travel but the rest of the items can be applied at any time.

My point about the balanced schedule is that these small divisions based upon.........whatever.......is ridiculous.

A team being a wild card team with a better record and losing home field advantage because the other team plays in suck division has more impact than playing the Nats without Rendon for a series.

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

Pauly

One of your best!!
                    LOL Thanks.

Although it was meant as a semi-joke - if you strip away all the Bull $^&* -- my assertion is fairly close to the reality of it.

Comment

• 10-0 Cards in the first. Two outs. Only Edwin Diaz could blow this lead.

Comment

Cant most of this be applied regardless of balanced or unbalanced schedule?

You have a valid point with the travel but the rest of the items can be applied at any time.

My point about the balanced schedule is that these small divisions based upon.........whatever.......is ridiculous.

A team being a wild card team with a better record and losing home field advantage because the other team plays in suck division has more impact than playing the Nats without Rendon for a series.
                        Yes, that's my point, a balanced schedule isn't necessary. And I don't think any talk of balancing the schedule is on the agenda of the Winter Meetings.

This is the third season where a WC winner can have home field advantage in the World Series. So that part is fixed.

Comment

10-0 Cards in the first. Two outs. Only Edwin Diaz could blow this lead.
                          11-0 now. Today is a good day.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nlds-ga...200626005.html

"Numerous other franchises across sports have faced the challenge of adjusting their brands as society has progressed. Some, like the Cleveland Indians, have opted to remove the mascots deemed offensive; others, like the Washington Redskins, have doubled down and vowed never to change."

Anytime your choice is "Be more like the Recent-Pennant-Winning Cleveland Indians or more like the Dan Snyder's Washington Redskins"...I'm just saying.

But anyway, the most obnoxious and stereotyped chant in professional sports is a moot point today, at least. Honestly, whether you find it offensive or not, the incessant Tomahawk Chop is worst part of any broadcast with the Braves in it.
                          Last edited by Shea Knight; 10-09-2019, 03:16 PM.
                          "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
                            But anyway, the most obnoxious and stereotyped chant in professional sports is a moot point today, at least. Honestly, whether you find it offensive or not, the incessant Tomahawk Chop is worst part of any broadcast with the Braves in it.
                            The tomahawk chop is the devil's ringtone.
                            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Just read the Braves haven’t won a playoff series since 2001.

And now Clayton Kershaw - seriously??

Comment

Just read the Braves haven’t won a playoff series since 2001.

And now Clayton Kershaw - seriously??
                                Two pitches, two home runs--in the playoffs AGAIN. YIKES.

Coming into the game tonight, in 31 postseason games, he was 9-11 with an ERA of 4.33.

The best pitcher of this generation--and yet in the playoffs he's mediocre at best, and a lead-blower at worst (he did so against the Astros and Red Sox in the WS the past two years, and now tonight.) It's crazy, and for as much as I hate the Dodgers, it's just sad, he looks miserable in the dugout.

Someone can try and correct me, but I can't think of another pitcher with THAT sample size who's THAT good in the regular season and THAT meh-to-bad when it really counts.
                                "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X