X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

I agree with this.

Besides, jj says that if they hire Girardi it's the Mets being cheap, and Pauly says if they don't, it's the Mets being cheap.

The relentless drumbeat of negativity is both predictable and depressing.
    It is an extension of the nearly universal dislike of ownership.

If they sign Girardi and also go out and acquire a center fielder, some bullpen help, a viable backup catcher and a decent SP, then I'd be shocked. If they just sign Girardi and say that's it, they are being cheap and puling a dollar store version of the Cano trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

I would like Joe Girardi but I can’t see him taking orders from Jeffie . Joe didn’t hit it off with Sanchez as a catcher to pit it mildly and he became an ex manager .

About Yankee fans , Yes a large amount of people who walk around saying they are Yankees fans are front runners who walk around with Yankee garb and spouting nonsense . A few years ago the Yankees had a poll on the 10 greatest NYY players of all time : Gehrig was 8 and Ruth was 9 . Yep , Jeter and Mariano were the greatest ! Anyone who puts 7 Yankees ahead of Ruth / Gehrig or Gehrig / Ruth is simply a moron .
      Wearing Yankee jerseys at a baseball game with the player’s names on their back is another dumb move since the NYY doesn’t put players names on their backs . Like people need to see Mantle above “7” while sitting in the stands .

The first game I ever went to at old YS ( the real old one ) the Yankee infield was Jerry Kenney at 3rd , Gene Michael at SS , Danny Cater at 1st and the legendary Horace Clarke at 2nd .Modern day millennial Yankee fans have told me “ no such players ever played for the Yankees “ .

Every fan base has them . The Mets fan base doesn’t walk around “ entitled “ because in 48 of 57 seasons the Mets were playing golf the first week of October . And putting up a banner commemorating Bumgarner shutting them out in game 163 is a disgrace ; you won’t find a 2015 banner at YS commemorating Houston shutting out the NYY by a score of 3-0 . The Yankees and many of their fans show arrogance , but the Mets show desperation by putting up silly banners to make fans feel better .
      Great post. Just proves different fans have different reasons to be morons.

Comment

I agree with this.

Besides, jj says that if they hire Girardi it's the Mets being cheap, and Pauly says if they don't, it's the Mets being cheap.

What about the guy who will say the fans pressured the Wilpon’s into hiring Girardi. Never ending spin.

Comment

I agree with this.

I plan on being at Opening Day no matter the Manager.
          As long as deGrom, Alonso, Nimmo, Rosario, McNeil, Conforto and dare I say Cespedes is there all is well.

Keep Wheeler.

** love the drumbeat quote, wish I thought of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

As long as deGrom, Alonso, Nimmo, Rosario, McNeil, Conforto and dare I say Cespedes is there all is well.

Keep Wheeler.

Agreed that this will be a fun team to watch again next season with that core. We're all just talking about the one thing to talk about before the hot stove season in. Ultimately, it won't really matter who the manager is next year if the team on the field is actually good.

Comment

Keep Wheeler.

I wouldn't call it the drumbeat of negativity..It's the drumbeat of Metsian logic...Metsonian logic is defined as what could or should be, not what is
              North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

To ME you had a sense of discomfort. I'm glad to be wrong. **(Found the sense of discomfort in the 2019 season thread and quoted) That's what I meant. They were 13-2 when you wrote that reply.

Girardi won't give the Mets a WS win even though some believe he is magic. The development of Rosario, Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, etc and the good pitching will do it.
                Nobody has said Joe will give Capn Jeff the WS ring he desperately wants. Joe has a proven track record in developing players. Can you say that of the other candidates?? Can you name one Mets manager that has taken them to the playoffs 6 out of 10 years?? I can't....

Comment

• David Ross will be named manager of the Cubs per Jon Heyman. Managerial experience? Zilch. Dancing with the Stars experience? Yes

Comment

David Ross will be named manager of the Cubs per Jon Heyman. Managerial experience? Zilch. Dancing with the Stars experience? Yes
                    Good. I love it. Mistake by a team I do not like.

Although I must say. The Cubs have Theo as the GM/President who is a HOF executive calling the actual shots.

The Mets will not have a manager with experience and a GM that is as lost as can possibly be.

Advantage: Cubs

Comment

• Originally posted by SavoyBG

They've never had a manager that's lasted 10 years. Very few managers last 10 years with any one team.
                      That was my whole point!!!

Comment

David Ross will be named manager of the Cubs per Jon Heyman. Managerial experience? Zilch. Dancing with the Stars experience? Yes
                        And the connection with the Mets is.........Or are you telling us the next Mets manager will have zero experience??

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

And the connection with the Mets is.........Or are you telling us the next Mets manager will have zero experience??
                          The connection for me is the Cubs didn't hire Girardi. I'm still naively hoping the Mets will.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                            The connection for me is the Cubs didn't hire Girardi. I'm still naively hoping the Mets will.
                            Me and you both but all indications are he is going to the Phils. Until its done I will hope he ends up with the Mets.

I wouldnt bet a dime on it though. Hiring Girardi is not the Met thing to do. They only shop from the closeout or discount racks.

Although with that said I would be remiss not to mention the last couple of times the Mets spent big money. 2012 Wright - mistake. 2016 giving Cespedes 4 years - mistake. 2019 deGrom extending him 5 years. Will not end well, but remains to be seen.

None of the above is 20/20 hindsight on my part. I didnt like any of it before they happened.
                            Last edited by Paulypal; 10-23-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Me and you both but all indications are he is going to the Phils. Until its done I will hope he ends up with the Mets.

I wouldnt bet a dime on it though. Hiring Girardi is not the Met thing to do. They only shop from the closeout or discount racks.

Although with that said I would be remiss not to mention the last couple of times the Mets spent big money. 2012 Wright - mistake. 2016 giving Cespedes 4 years - mistake. 2019 deGrom extending him 5 years. Will not end well, but remains to be seen.

None of the above is 20/20 hindsight on my part. I didnt like any of it before they happened.
                              All those deals were a result of raging fans: Wright because everyone else, including Reyes had been purged in the payroll kill, Cespedes because he and Murphy were going to be the Nats' 3/4 hitters after the WS run, deGrom, after the Cy Young season.

Nobody's ever signed proactively, so if Fred can't weasel out of re-signing a player, he's stuck paying top dollar. We might see that now with Wheeler, who should have been extended last year.

We had people on this board saying if Wright walked, they were through with the Mets. He actually signed a team-friendly deal, compared to what he could have gotten on the open market. Much of his "decline" was Fred and Jeff building a ballpark designed to neutralize his power, and his attempts to compensate. They then spent years trying to fix the problem. By that time, their abuse of him had resulted in a debilitating injury.

On a normal team, re-signing Wright isn't a "mistake". The mistake was angling the new stadium's outfield towards Flushing Bay and the wind blowing in, so Fred could add retail space along 126th Street. The other mistake was playing Wright nearly a month with a broken back.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

All those deals were a result of raging fans: Wright because everyone else, including Reyes had been purged in the payroll kill, Cespedes because he and Murphy were going to be the Nats' 3/4 hitters after the WS run, deGrom, after the Cy Young season.

Nobody's ever signed proactively, so if Fred can't weasel out of re-signing a player, he's stuck paying top dollar. We might see that now with Wheeler, who should have been extended last year.

We had people on this board saying if Wright walked, they were through with the Mets. He actually signed a team-friendly deal, compared to what he could have gotten on the open market. Much of his "decline" was Fred and Jeff building a ballpark designed to neutralize his power, and his attempts to compensate. They then spent years trying to fix the problem. By that time, their abuse of him had resulted in a debilitating injury.

On a normal team, re-signing Wright isn't a "mistake". The mistake was angling the new stadium's outfield towards Flushing Bay and the wind blowing in, so Fred could add retail space along 126th Street. The other mistake was playing Wright nearly a month with a broken back.
                                Well you negated it when you said "on a normal team". A normal team doesnt build Citi Hole and destroy their best players biggest asset.

Citi ruined Wright and I can make an decent argument that it helped exacerbate any injury he had.

Chipper had some words about Citi in 2009 to Wright

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ticle-1.374046
                                Last edited by Paulypal; 10-23-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X