This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

You're exactly correct here. In the past 2 off-seasons, we've had a chance to get a fantastic GM like Chaim Bloom, and allow him to pick from a large pool of experienced managers. Combine that with the more than solid base of talent he'd have inherited, and we'd have had an instant contender.

Instead, we continue to have Fred, Jeff, and the same puppet GMs we've had for 33 years now. I'm sure Fred and Jeff will continue to make out the lineup cards. Look for Cano to remain in the middle of the infield, and middle of the order.

I will take this chance to admit, Alderson did a very nice job with his early round picks. He made numerous awful decisions, but left the team in decent shape.
    I agree, I know you said he was terrible but it takes a long time to figure out if draft picks will work out. Or trades also. Example- Devers turned 23 this week and he was signed in 2013. Rosario is 23 and he signed in 2012. Gleyber Torres is 22 signed in 2013. A long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I like Girardi. With that said he was as nervous and tense as can be in the dugout, with a talented team and the highest payroll.
      The manager doesn't pitch, field or hit. We all know that.
      How could anyone answer the question of an unknown manager when he is unknown? I can't.
      I liked this post.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

I agree, I know you said he was terrible but it takes a long time to figure out if draft picks will work out. Or trades also. Example- Devers turned 23 this week and he was signed in 2013. Rosario is 23 and he signed in 2012. Gleyber Torres is 22 signed in 2013. A long time.
        Ya know, you saying this reminds me that no matter how things turn out for Princess Thor in 2020, the Mets got the better part of the Dickey deal.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Ya know, you saying this reminds me that no matter how things turn out for Princess Thor in 2020, the Mets got the better part of the Dickey deal.
          Indeed. And d’Arnaud wasn’t the best but he was a major leaguer.

Comment

• BREAKING News: According to EJerezESPN Eduardo Perez will be announced in the coming days as the manager of the New York Mets.
            https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1188257838302404608
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Actually posted a response but deleted it.

Taking a sabbatical. Take care - I am sure the manager decision will be awesome.
              Last edited by Paulypal; 10-27-2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                Former Mets manager Mickey Callaway is close to joining Joe Maddon as the Angels pitching coach but deal not finalized yet. The Mets still owe him $1.05 million in 2020

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...72389647048704
                I wish Mickey the best. Not qualified to manage but from all accounts an excellent pitching coach. Trading LIC for Southern California probably not a bad trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                  Actually posted a response but deleted it.

Taking a sabbatical. Take care - I am sure the manager decision will be awesome.
                  Sometimes I simply don't know when to let up. I've already given myself a 50-minute lecture.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Sometimes I simply don't know when to let up. I've already given myself a 50-minute lecture.
                    Love your references.

Will the next manager say “Call me Eduardo”?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

Love your references.

Yes , and if we ask , he will teach us all the mambo. Why everybody’s doing it !

I wanted Girardi who averaged 91 wins for 10
                      years . I wonder how many Mets managers , after getting fired from the Mets , got other MLB manager jobs ? Joe Torre ? .....any help ?

Comment

• It’s not over yet. Pat Murphy of the Brewers also interviewed for the job. Andy Martino- there’s also another candidate who interviewed.
                        May be a bakers dozen at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Yes , and if we ask , he will teach us all the mambo. Why everybody’s doing it !

I wanted Girardi who averaged 91 wins for 10
                          years . I wonder how many Mets managers , after getting fired from the Mets , got other MLB manager jobs ? Joe Torre ? .....any help ?

Bobby Valentine -a very memorable Red Sox manager
                          Davey Johnson
                          Jeff Torborg
                          George Bamberger

not sure if any more
                          Last edited by LI METS FAN; 10-27-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Wes Westrum also. 6 including Torre. And the book isn’t closed on the recent managers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

Love your references.

Put it in the books.

Comment

Wes Westrum also. 6 including Torre. And the book isn’t closed on the recent managers.
                                Wow, Westrum! I would've totally forgotten his 1970s. Nice catch.

For some reason, I'd also thought both Torborg and Bamberger threw their proverbial hands in the proverbial air after their adverbial tenures.
                                Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X