This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
    Actually posted a response but deleted it.

Taking a sabbatical. Take care - I am sure the manager decision will be awesome.
    I don't always agree with you, but, as I've made clear the last few days, the board is better with a larger number of informed posters. Varied opinions keep things interesting.

Most serious Mets fans dislike the Wilpon dynasty. Ambivalence about the organization is healthy. Ignoring the problem is odd.

So if you're feeling ganged up on, you shouldn't. Your viewpoint is mainstream.

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

How quickly they forget!

Bobby Valentine -a very memorable Red Sox manager
    Davey Johnson
    Jeff Torborg
    George Bamberger

not sure if any more
    I think the point Mandrake was trying to make was, no Mets manager since the complete Wilpon hijacking has managed in the Majors again. Fred and Jeff pick the cheapest, most easily manipulated option. Many of these guys were never seen as managerial material in the first place or, like Collins, were probably never going to get hired again.

In a way, it's not even a real ML managing job. Fred and Jeff apparently make out lineup cards and have set rules on who plays when. The veteran with a recognizable name usually plays, no matter what. The object is to get the causal fan to the stadium, so he can buy beer and sausages. The manager's there to take the blame for the resulting on-field failure. Also, there's the leak machine and the usual clubhouse turmoil. The out-of-control mess further damages reputations.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      Actually posted a response but deleted it.

Taking a sabbatical. Take care - I am sure the manager decision will be awesome.
      Hopefully it will be a short hiatus. Things won't be the same around here without you. Take a rest and come back when you're ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I don't always agree with you, but, as I've made clear the last few days, the board is better with a larger number of informed posters. Varied opinions keep things interesting.

Most serious Mets fans dislike the Wilpon dynasty. Ambivalence about the organization is healthy. Ignoring the problem is odd.

I think the point Mandrake was trying to make was, no Mets manager since the complete Wilpon hijacking has managed in the Majors again. Fred and Jeff pick the cheapest, most easily manipulated option. Many of these guys were never seen as managerial material in the first place or, like Collins, were probably never going to get hired again.

In a way, it's not even a real ML managing job. Fred and Jeff apparently make out lineup cards and have set rules on who plays when. The veteran with a recognizable name usually plays, no matter what. The object is to get the causal fan to the stadium, so he can buy beer and sausages. The manager's there to take the blame for the resulting on-field failure. Also, there's the leak machine and the usual clubhouse turmoil. The out-of-control mess further damages reputations.
        Well said throughout, with the bold the part I wish I'd written.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
          Eduardo Perez has emerged as the clear front runner for Mets managerial job
          https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...52897830215680
          I se they have revealed their mystery candidate!!!! This gets better as the days go on..
          North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Of course he stalled the search. They didn’t want him and now he’s taken so he’s off the table.

4 openings of 8 filled. 2 retreads in Maddon and Girardi. 2 new managers in Ross and Tingler.
            So they never wanted Girardi? He was placed on the list and given 2 interviews as a PR ploy?? A typical Capn Jeff move..

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklynboy View Post

So they never wanted Girardi? He was placed on the list and given 2 interviews as a PR ploy?? A typical Capn Jeff move..
              Exactly. Why iis there always so much BS surrounding this team. No reason for it. The business model should be simple. Go out and get the best and brightest. It is proven that if you win in NY your bottom line is successful. Why do things have to be run so dysfunctionally? Mystery candidates? Why? Is this guy from Milwaukee so special that if they didn't keep him a secret some other team would have grabbed him? Silliness. Very hard to take this organization seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

Exactly. Why iis there always so much BS surrounding this team. No reason for it. The business model should be simple. Go out and get the best and brightest. It is proven that if you win in NY your bottom line is successful. Why do things have to be run so dysfunctionally? Mystery candidates? Why? Is this guy from Milwaukee so special that if they didn't keep him a secret some other team would have grabbed him? Silliness. Very hard to take this organization seriously.
                Only thing I can think of is something crazy like Arod or a person who’s already employed by a team in the playoffs who is under contract. If the best and the brightest means experienced managers only I’ll pass.
                Who started the mystery candidate theory?
                Last edited by LI METS FAN; 10-28-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

The reason I am ambivalent about the owners is - when they announce they are selling the team I'll pay attention. When that happens. Until then they own the team.

Maybe we should all wish for 162 losses, create nicknames for the GM and say the new manager will be a puppet. Nah, like you said varied opinions keep things interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

Exactly. Why iis there always so much BS surrounding this team. No reason for it. The business model should be simple. Go out and get the best and brightest. It is proven that if you win in NY your bottom line is successful. Why do things have to cbe run so dysfunctionally? Mystery candidates? Why? Is this guy from Milwaukee so special that if they didn't keep him a secret some other team would have grabbed him? Silliness. Very hard to take this organization seriously.
                    Look at that NHL team you like . Under Lou Lamarello they won 3 cups . Put
                    Lou at the helm in NYC 1990-1997 and the Rangers could have had a dynastic type
                    run and the Devils would have floundered .

The Isles came back from the Dead last season and they look even better this season. Any guesses why ?

In baseball the GM is more
                    important than the manger but you still need competence . Mickey was incompetent .However if Wheeler leaves and/or
                    Syndergaard is traded without good replacements , It won’t really matter who is managing .

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

The Isles came back from the Dead last season and they look even better this season. Any guesses why ?

important than the manger but you still need competence . Mickey was incompetent .However if Wheeler leaves and/or
                      Syndergaard is traded without good replacements , It won’t really matter who is managing .
                      That's it in a nutshell.

Comment

That's it in a nutshell.
                        Once again, make decisions that have the greatest chance of success and you will have a greater chance of succeeding. Sounds like a fortune cookie, LOL!!

Comment

• Believe it or not 3rd round of interviews this week.

Comment

Only thing I can think of is something crazy like Arod or a person who’s already employed by a team in the playoffs who is under contract. If the best and the brightest means experienced managers only I’ll pass.
                            Who started the mystery candidate theory?
                            Capn Jeff started it...Makes the Mets look like they actually know what they are doing

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Mandrake, that is a excellent point. Tell that to VW Bug..The Bug should just sign himself as manager and go down into the DO. It's been done many a time in baseball

Comment

The reason I am ambivalent about the owners is - when they announce they are selling the team I'll pay attention. When that happens. Until then they own the team.

Maybe we should all wish for 162 losses, create nicknames for the GM and say the new manager will be a puppet. Nah, like you said varied opinions keep things interesting.
                                If it takes 162 losses to rid us of Capn Jeff, I'm all for it!!! The "New" manager will always be a puppet of Capn Jeff. That's the way they operate. In some aspects, the manager is always a puppet of the organization. That's how the system works..Just as the GM is a puppet of the organization..Good organizations prevail all the way down the line.

Sticking nicknames on players/managers/owners is a time honored tradition. McGraw was nicknamed "Muggsy"., a name he voraciously hated. It didn't stop him from making the HOF.

Being called VWBug shouldn't stop the Bug from being a GM..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X