This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

With all that money he's absolutely guaranteed, why not hope for him to return and hit .800? You'd rather just give him the money and wash your hands?
    Simply? Yes. Much rather be done with him.

If anyone is interested in the Mets winning then we already know he isnt the guy you count on. Zero reliability factor.

The Mets are much better off knowing that he isnt in play than thinking he is...then he isnt...then maybe he is....and then maybe he isnt.

I guess we can all hope he comes back an hits .800, and I will make that decision after Santa brings me gifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

To each his own but with one year left I'd love to see him return and do well as a Met player. Really well. On the Mets.
      And I much rather the Mets go get a real CF'er and live with Nimmo/Conforto/Real CF'er than count on the uncountable.

To each his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Because you aren't interested in a 30 HR, 100 RBI .280 batter? Okay...….
        You are pretty close. 2017+2018+2019 = 26 homers and 71 ribbies TOTAL . Not per season average. Total, an average of just under 9 hrs and 24 rbi per season. Worst contract ever for the Mets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Simply? Yes. Much rather be done with him.

If anyone is interested in the Mets winning then we already know he isnt the guy you count on. Zero reliability factor.

The Mets are much better off knowing that he isnt in play than thinking he is...then he isnt...then maybe he is....and then maybe he isnt.

I guess we can all hope he comes back an hits .800, and I will make that decision after Santa brings me gifts.
          Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

And I much rather the Mets go get a real CF'er and live with Nimmo/Conforto/Real CF'er than count on the uncountable.

To each his own.
          To each his own
          To each his own
          Answer the phone

Okay, so on one hand, Met fans had better resign themselves to the inherent hope that both Diaz and Cano do well next year because they will be integral parts of the team in 2020. Yet on the other hand, to hope that Cespedes, who receives more beans in 2020 than any other Met, returns and does well is a waste of a few "Hail Mary"s.

Now I understand. I didn't before but now I do.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

You are pretty close. 2017+2018+2019 = 26 homers and 71 ribbies TOTAL . Not per season average. Total, an average of just under 9 hrs and 24 rbi per season. Worst contract ever for the Mets.
            Agreed....
            Put it in the books.

Comment

• ...although Bonilla's was pretty bad. Isn't he still on the payroll?
              Put it in the books.

Comment

To each his own.
                I would rather they sign Rendon and maybe Cole after they let Wheeler walk. And live with Nimmo/Conforto and Cespedes. I suspect Santa isn't putting either of our wishes under the tree.

Comment

When you have a player that puts you in position to win a World Series and is instrumental in getting you to one of only five in your franchise history I'll take that contract every day of the week. And we still, if we're both really lucky, get to see him try again in 2020.

Comment

To each his own
                    To each his own
                    Answer the phone

Okay, so on one hand, Met fans had better resign themselves to the inherent hope that both Diaz and Cano do well next year because they will be integral parts of the team in 2020. Yet on the other hand, to hope that Cespedes, who receives more beans in 2020 than any other Met, returns and does well is a waste of a few "Hail Mary"s.

Diaz and Cano played in 2019...........and 2018..........and in 2017. They didnt have the mystery falling off of horse injury. So yes I am hoping they play better than they did in 2019.I want players on the team that want to play - He doesnt have what I want in a ballplayer. 119 games in 3 years. Yep lets put some hope here.

Quite simply you can root for him to comeback. That is just fine.....I much rather him not come back and move on.

Insert cool emoji here.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

To each his own
                      To each his own
                      Answer the phone

I completely get where Pauly is coming from and am surprised no one here seems to. How many years in a row did we hear "David Wright is our third baseman" and see the Wilpons use his contract as justification to not sign anyone to fill his slot? Cespeses hasn't played a full season in 3 years! Time to move on from him and not "hope" he returns, because if he doesn't, the team is going to use him as an excuse as to why there is not a center fielder on this team YET AGAIN and if he does come back, he will be 3 years older and out of baseball shape and more suited to the role of a DH who will hit in the low to mid .200s and give a team 25-30 home runs.

Comment

David Wright and Cespedes are neck and neck for worst contracts ever signed by the Mets. May I add that I didnt want either one signed at the point of contact?

I am not going to hope Cespedes comes back - I am going to hope they move on.
                        Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said Monday that it's "too early to tell" if Yoenis Cespedes (ankle) will be back in 2020.

On the way back from surgery on both of his heels, Cespedes suffered multiple fractures in his right ankle this May after falling into a hole on his ranch. He required surgery to repair the fractures and it doesn't sound like the Mets have the slightest idea about his progress. "I don't have enough information to predict when he's going to be back," said Van Wagenen. It certainly sounds like the Mets aren't counting on him moving forward, though he is still owed $29.5 million next year.

Sounds promising. It is actually funny.........if it was so sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I completely get where Pauly is coming from and am surprised no one here seems to. How many years in a row did we hear "David Wright is our third baseman" and see the Wilpons use his contract as justification to not sign anyone to fill his slot? Cespeses hasn't played a full season in 3 years! Time to move on from him and not "hope" he returns, because if he doesn't, the team is going to use him as an excuse as to why there is not a center fielder on this team YET AGAIN and if he does come back, he will be 3 years older and out of baseball shape and more suited to the role of a DH who will hit in the low to mid .200s and give a team 25-30 home runs.
                          The hopes and dreams of Met fans wishing on the impossible or the highly improbable is what the Met organization bases its existence on. Their fan base must pray, and hope for good things. Cespedes coming back is no different.

The organization has no clue where this guy is medically --- none, but yet somehow I am missing out on his 30HR's 100 RBI's and .280 batting average.

Sign an outfielder (a CF'er) which they need anyway -- and move on.

Good point on David Wright. On this very forum we heard from the "die hards" for years -- that this was the year Wright was back. Still waiting.

Also -- by they way ----- they get it just fine.
                          Last edited by Paulypal; 11-08-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Diaz and Cano played in 2019...........and 2018..........and in 2017. They didnt have the mystery falling off of horse injury. So yes I am hoping they play better than they did in 2019.I want players on the team that want to play - I doesnt have what I want in a ballplayer. 119 games in 3 years. Yep lets put some hope here.

Quite simply you can root for him to comeback. That is just fine.....I much rather him not come back and move on.

Insert cool emoji here.
                            Brandon Nimmo didn't want to play for 90 games this season due to injury and you still want him back in 2020? Personally he doesn't have what I want in a ballplayer which is to never get injured.

Comment

David Wright and Cespedes are neck and neck for worst contracts ever signed by the Mets. May I add that I didnt want either one signed at the point of contact?

I am not going to hope Cespedes comes back - I am going to hope they move on.
                              Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said Monday that it's "too early to tell" if Yoenis Cespedes (ankle) will be back in 2020.

On the way back from surgery on both of his heels, Cespedes suffered multiple fractures in his right ankle this May after falling into a hole on his ranch. He required surgery to repair the fractures and it doesn't sound like the Mets have the slightest idea about his progress. "I don't have enough information to predict when he's going to be back," said Van Wagenen. It certainly sounds like the Mets aren't counting on him moving forward, though he is still owed $29.5 million next year.

Sounds promising. It is actually funny.........if it was so sad.

Can you imagine in November not knowing what is going to happen in March? How dare he.

Comment

The hopes and dreams of Met fans wishing on the impossible or the highly improbable is what the Met organization bases its existence on. Their fan base must pray, and hope for good things. Cespedes coming back is no different.

The organization has no clue where this guy is medically --- none, but yet somehow I am missing out on his 30HR's 100 RBI's and .280 batting average.

Sign an outfielder (a CF'er) which they need anyway -- and move on.

Good point on David Wright. On this very forum we heard from the "die hards" for years -- that this was the year Wright was back. Still waiting.

Also -- by they way ----- they get it just fine.
                                When a player is under contract in 2020 I must admit you are the only person I've ever heard of that wants that player to fail. And not play. And get paid not to try to play. Make no attempt. None.

Remind me of the last time the Mets "moved on" from an existing contract.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X