This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Diaz and Cano played in 2019...........and 2018..........and in 2017. They didnt have the mystery falling off of horse injury. So yes I am hoping they play better than they did in 2019.I want players on the team that want to play - He doesnt have what I want in a ballplayer. 119 games in 3 years. Yep lets put some hope here.

Quite simply you can root for him to comeback. That is just fine.....I much rather him not come back and move on.

Insert cool emoji here.
    Cespedes had zero impact on the Mets in 2019 in terms of wins and losses. Can we say that about Cano or Diaz? I'd rather have players who do nothing than those who hinder. It's the bag-of-rocks-versus-Callaway thing.

That's called spin. It wasn't my intent.

Fact is, it takes no more or less energy to hope all of the above do well next year, regardless of the past. And as long as they're gonna play and/or get paid anyway, I see no reason to not hope for the best.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Well that is it in a nutshell. We have to hope a broken down player that hasnt played in 3 years and doesnt seem inclined to want to will come back and save the day. I guess when the wont sign anyone who is a really good player we are left to hope that Cespedes is the answer.

Dumpster diving at its highest level.

This opens the door for Matt Kemp.
      Been there done that. Puig can play CF. He'd be perfect in Queens.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

I still think back about 7 years ago when the Cubs leaked reasons why they passed up on giving him a contract when he first came from Cuba .

1. They believed stories where Cuban players were using PEDs amid non existing testing .
        2. Cespedes could be 3 years older than he was claiming in 2012 . There was a story that he fathered a child when he was 16 but when fact checkers looked at the story , he suddenly became 13 as a dad ( dates and places quickly changed ) . The math didn’t add up .

Maybe he is 34 or maybe he is 37 . What other MLB team would take him off the Mets hands ? Red Sox ? A’s ? Tigers ? Seriously - who would take him and his 2020 salary ?
        The Yanks would do it in an instant straight up for Stanton and his 234mil remaining salary. Less than an instant.

Comment

I still think back about 7 years ago when the Cubs leaked reasons why they passed up on giving him a contract when he first came from Cuba .

1. They believed stories where Cuban players were using PEDs amid non existing testing .
          2. Cespedes could be 3 years older than he was claiming in 2012 . There was a story that he fathered a child when he was 16 but when fact checkers looked at the story , he suddenly became 13 as a dad ( dates and places quickly changed ) . The math didn’t add up .

Maybe he is 34 or maybe he is 37 . What other MLB team would take him off the Mets hands ? Red Sox ? A’s ? Tigers ? Seriously - who would take him and his 2020 salary ?
          I don't see any team stupid enough to take him from the Mets. And that's the real problem. The money's locked up in a bad deal.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I don't see any team stupid enough to take him from the Mets. And that's the real problem. The money's locked up in a bad deal.
            They wouldn't consider trading him. One year is it. He'll either play or they'll recoup some salary.

Comment

Cespedes had zero impact on the Mets in 2019 in terms of wins and losses. Can we say that about Cano or Diaz? I'd rather have players who do nothing than those who hinder. It's the bag-of-rocks-versus-Callaway thing.

Fact is, it takes no more or less energy to hope all of the above do well next year, regardless of the past. And as long as they're gonna play and/or get paid anyway, I see no reason to not hope for the best.
              Well said. Cespedes is the least of the Mets worries.
              With 13 teams winning the WS in this century and no one repeating, its fair to say that they have good young players that are home grown and will try to make the playoffs with Beltran. Now none of them can slip on a banana peel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

Will the next manager say “Call me Eduardo”?
                Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Yes , and if we ask , he will teach us all the mambo. Why everybody’s doing it !
                Hah, I'd nearly forgotten about these posts.

How nice will it be if Carlos can still show us all how to mambo before he gets sick of dancing with Ralph and Ed. .....and he WILL get sick of it.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

Been there done that. Puig can play CF. He'd be perfect in Queens.
                  That's an offer I'd make. Someone's gonna snap him up. (Umm...maybe not the Dbacks tho.)
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

• This is my prediction for the Mets starting players for next year, given how they are literally posting minute by minute images of Carlos Beltran (I am surprised they aren't filming him taking a dump given how much they are filming every stupid thing):

LF: Dom Smith/Brandon Nimmo
                    CF: Some random version of Rajai Davis, Alejandro de Aza, and the endless revolving door of terrible hitters who can sort of field
                    RF: Jeff McNeil until he gets injured and/or traded for some back of the order pitcher to replace whoever ends up on the DL because this team has no farm system
                    1B: Pete Alonso
                    2B: Robinson Cano
                    SS: Amed Rosario
                    3B: JD Davis
                    C: Wilson Ramos
                    SP: Jacob deGrom
                    SP: Marcus Stroman
                    SP: Steven Matz
                    SP: Some crappy pitcher we've never heard of who the Mets traded away Syndergaard and Conforto for because he is cheap and has 3 years before he hits arbitration.
                    SP: Seth Lugo until his arm falls off, then Gsellman
                    RP: A bunch of random reclamation projects
                    RP: Jeurys Familia
                    RP: Edwin Diaz
                    Bench: A revolving door of washed up veterans who will be let go a day before their incentives kick in
                    Bench: Some random catcher with a .119 BA no one has heard of
                    Bench: Luis Guillorme

And when Alonso gets injured, Smith will move over to first base and we will see someone like Matt Kemp in the outfield. Can't wait!

Comment

You are pretty close. 2017+2018+2019 = 26 homers and 71 ribbies TOTAL . Not per season average. Total, an average of just under 9 hrs and 24 rbi per season. Worst contract ever for the Mets.
                      Who says the Wilpon's are cheap? They paid a lot for that production!

At the time of the signing, they needed to sign him. They needed to show a doubting fan base they cared. Well guess what, the doubters continued to doubt and they sustained even more injuries and could not complete. The only positive was the team did not quit and only lost 90 games instead of the 100 they should have. The team not quitting was a credit to Terry Collins. Not sure if compliments are allowed or welcomed here but he should be commended for that at least.

Comment

You will get nowhere being positive around here. How many years of this Milladrive.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

At the time of the signing, they needed to sign him. They needed to show a doubting fan base they cared. Well guess what, the doubters continued to doubt and they sustained even more injuries and could not complete. The only positive was the team did not quit and only lost 90 games instead of the 100 they should have. The team not quitting was a credit to Terry Collins. Not sure if compliments are allowed or welcomed here but he should be commended for that at least.
                          It’s all in the rear view mirror , but it isn’t 20/20 hindsight . I was against them signing Cespedes back then , but I really wanted Net Negative Murphy signed .

The Mets have some exciting young players who seem to be very positive and enthusiastic. I don’t want a 34yr old ( 37?) with a history of not being a team player ( ask Tigers , A’s and especially the Red Sox about him )

When the GM doesn’t have any idea
                          if and when his highest paid will play again , that isn’t a good thing .

If we start the new MLB century at 2001 , the AL team has been the Red Sox with 4 pennants and 4 WS wins . The NL team has been the Giants with 4 pennants and 3 WS wins . And guess what - their fans are
                          whining and complaining as much as Mets fans . Not to mention the NYY who are in their 3rd longest drought since they left the Polo Grounds ! ( only outdone by the CBS / Horace Clark years, and the “ George is off his
                          rocker years “)

Comment

Hoping Cespedes does well is a fools gold and it does cost something.

It will allow the organization to get away with not addressing what we all already know. Which is Cespedes doesn't play or plays just hardly enough to have an impact.

All of it adds up to the Mets doing nothing to address the hole in CF because of counting on a dream...or nightmare. THAT is what is costs.

By the way -- Lets say Cespedes comes back --- who plays CF? Conforto isn't a CF'er…………..Nimmo isn't a CF'er and Cespdes damn sure isn't a CF'er.
                            Last edited by Paulypal; 11-09-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

They needed to sign him for 2016 after the 2015 season. He the opt out after 2016. Once they went long term it was a bad move. Cheap? Eh....Stupid and clueless.....Uhhh Yes.

Agree on Collins and have always said exactly what you said. I liked Collins. He wasn't an X's & O's genius but they played for him.

This is David Wright all over again. Waiting for the injured star to come back and produce well beyond his prime. Insanity.

Comment

Hah, I'd nearly forgotten about these posts.

How nice will it be if Carlos can still show us all how to mambo before he gets sick of dancing with Ralph and Ed. .....and he WILL get sick of it.
                                Well we just had Mrs Manicotti as the manager - so this has to be better.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X