Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near unanimous. The weird thing is that the guy who voted for Soroka felt the need to apologize. That is not necessary as Soroka had an amazing year:

https://nypost.com/2019/11/11/writer...so-award-snub/

Congratulations to the polar bear. He had an amazin' season!

Comment

• Stupid Mets Organization trying to delude fans into thinking that they are actively pursuing Wheeler:

https://www.12up.com/posts/mets-zack...u0DEQKVEDcFhh8

If they were really serious, they would have locked him up before the season was over and 5 other teams expressed an interest in him!

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
        Near unanimous. The weird thing is that the guy who voted for Soroka felt the need to apologize. That is not necessary as Soroka had an amazing year:

https://nypost.com/2019/11/11/writer...so-award-snub/

Congratulations to the polar bear. He had an amazin' season!
        I disagree. Mets players have always gotten screwed in post-season awards. No MVPs - Gooden put up a 13.3 WAR season in 1985, but lost to Willie McGee! Seaver led the league in ERA and Ks in two separate seasons without winning the Cy Young. Only Nolan Ryan, who went 8-16 in 1987 suffered the same snub. Last year deGrom wasn't unanimous. Of course Aaron Judge was unanimous when he hit 52 in a band box. This year Alonso hits 53 playing half his games at Coupon Field, but no dice.

More than that, the guy's a weasel. You think Soroka was better, be a man about it. Accept the opprobrium that comes with making a ridiculous choice, instead of apologizing in advance. Somehow it makes me dislike this Andrew Baggarly guy more.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

I disagree. Mets players have always gotten screwed in post-season awards. No MVPs - Gooden put up a 13.3 WAR season in 1985, but lost to Willie McGee! Seaver led the league in ERA and Ks in two separate seasons without winning the Cy Young. Only Nolan Ryan, who went 8-16 in 1987 suffered the same snub. Last year deGrom wasn't unanimous. Of course Aaron Judge was unanimous when he hit 52 in a band box. This year Alonso hits 53 playing half his games at Coupon Field, but no dice.

More than that, the guy's a weasel. You think Soroka was better, be a man about it. Accept the opprobrium that comes with making a ridiculous choice, instead of apologizing in advance. Somehow it makes me dislike this Andrew Baggarly guy more.
          Spot on Goose. There is a saying, "Don't be sorry, be careful". I think some of these guys just want the attention. No one is talking about the 29 intelligent guys who voted for the right guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Sometimes the whole point of a vote is to prevent a unanimous choice. Some freedom fighters feel the need to be that guy.

Look at the HOF voting. Willie Mays wasnt unanimous. I am sure whoever didnt vote for him really didnt think he didnt belong, but they wanted to be that guy who prevented a 100% vote.

Anytime you put anything in the hands of the media.........it becomes a crap show........or at least it could be. Voting needs to be taken away from the writers. Set up a point system for awards and the HOF so there is no debate. You are in or out. You cant get put in by your friends 30 years later. Its a joke.
            Last edited by Paulypal; 11-12-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

If they were really serious, they would have locked him up before the season was over and 5 other teams expressed an interest in him!
              Knowing our luck, Wheeler's going to sign with the Houston Astros and they will turn him into the next Gerrit Cole.
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• The Houston Astros were accused of stealing signs of their opponents today. The Mets will never steal signs because Fred doesn't want to pay for a new video camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

Spot on Goose. There is a saying, "Don't be sorry, be careful". I think some of these guys just want the attention. No one is talking about the 29 intelligent guys who voted for the right guy.
                  This guy created a national conversation and put himself at the center of it, when no conversation should have existed. It's a cheap way for a nobody to make a name for himself at Pete Alonso's expense. He even wrote a column about his calculated notoriety in advance.

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

Knowing our luck, Wheeler's going to sign with the Houston Astros and they will turn him into the next Gerrit Cole.
                  It has nothing to do with luck. Fred's allergic to extending homegrown talent.

But even so, the idea the small market Mets can't outbid the big market Astros for Wheeler is absurd. Reality check: Mets/SNY revenue is just about tops in MLB. There's no excuse for the Mets' rotation to be any weaker than last season.

Comment

• Andy Martino tweets the Mets have signed Chili Davis to a multi-year deal to remain as hitting coach.

Good news, I think. Part of the success of the players that thrived was that they weren't trying to pull everything, which Davis stressed. That includes Alonso.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

Wheeler is good enough for the Mets to want to sign him without being Cole.

Comment

• The Mets are teaming up with Hain Celestial to host the annual off-season Food Drive benefiting The Marry Brennan INN today from 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. at the Mets Team Store at Citi Field. The Marry Brennan INN addresses the issues of hunger and homelessness on Long Island by providing food, shelter, long-term housing, and supportive services in a dignified and respectful manner for those who seek help. Fans donating at least 10 non-perishable items will receive a voucher redeemable for two tickets to a select Mets home game during the 2020 season (excluding Opening Series and Subway Series). Fans will be limited to one ticket voucher.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/community/food-drive

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                          The Houston Astros were accused of stealing signs of their opponents today. The Mets will never steal signs because Fred doesn't want to pay for a new video camera.
                          Stealing signs by "cracking the code" of the oppositions signs has been around as long as baseball. It is part of the game.

What the Astros did is whole new Belichick level of what I would call cheating. Hard wired camera's with a monitor in the dugout is a pretty bad look. I am sure this will get swept away by MLB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Stealing signs by "cracking the code" of the oppositions signs has been around as long as baseball. It is part of the game.

What the Astros did is whole new Belichick level of what I would call cheating. Hard wired camera's with a monitor in the dugout is a pretty bad look. I am sure this will get swept away by MLB.
                            The team will get a fine that will cost them peanuts, some low rent executive will be fired and/or suspended whether or not they played any role, and the team will lose a couple of draft picks. That's been par for the course for these types of offenses.

Comment

The team will get a fine that will cost them peanuts, some low rent executive will be fired and/or suspended whether or not they played any role, and the team will lose a couple of draft picks. That's been par for the course for these types of offenses.
                              Agreed and so it does pay to cheat in sports
                              North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Wheeler is good enough for the Mets to want to sign him without being Cole.
                                Pauly, true and the offered him a QO. He wants a long term and we all know Popa Fred and Capn Jeff's aversion to long term deals
                                North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X