This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

What if he shows up to his physical in a wheelchair and full body cast?
    They signed Carlos Gomez, and Matt Kemp last year.............is Ellsbury a real stretch?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

They signed Carlos Gomez, and Matt Kemp last year.............is Ellsbury a real stretch?
      Anyone willing to make the league minimum and willing to agree to a MiLB contract will be invited to spring training. It will be just like last year, and at some point, someone in the organization will proclaim Cespedes is playing and Jeff McNeil will be the center fielder. Wait and see!

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Anyone willing to make the league minimum and willing to agree to a MiLB contract will be invited to spring training. It will be just like last year, and at some point, someone in the organization will proclaim Cespedes is playing and Jeff McNeil will be the center fielder. Wait and see!
        Syracuse needs to fill seats so anything is possible from this clown show.

The situation with Cespedes has a very very small percentage of turning out in a positive manor for the 2020 Mets. A mid 30's player that hasnt played in two years and has done nothing but break down over the past 3 years. Is it possible that he comes back and goes 30/100? Yes of course.........anything is possible. Likely? Not by a long shot.

I am waiting for them to sell us that Cespedes is the big off season acquisition.

Comment

the big off season acquisition.
          The Mets have signed left-hander Chasen Shreve to a minor league deal, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports. The contract contains an invitation for Shreve to attend the Mets’ big league Spring Training camp.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...-contract.html
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

The Mets have signed left-hander Chasen Shreve to a minor league deal, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports. The contract contains an invitation for Shreve to attend the Mets’ big league Spring Training camp.

I stand corrected.

Comment

Atlanta signs Will Smith and the Mets respond by signing Chasen Shreve. COME GET US!

Comment

• Everyday there is a new team interested in Wheeler.

Today its the Twins to go along with the Reds/White Sox. I think the Yanks will be in on him too, and I fully expect that list to grow over the next month.

There is one team that I haven't heard has much interest so far.

I don't think the Mets should just let him go without an legit offer. We should not forget that for the most part the Mets stayed very healthy last season (especially the pitching staff). I don't think we can count on that year in and year out. Depth is a huge reason why teams win. See the 2019 Yankees. They lose Severino and German becomes their guy.

The Mets don't have the depth nor do they have anyone coming up. Letting pitchers walk away without a fight is not a very prudent move.

When they traded for Stroman they were bracing the fan base for losing either Wheeler/Noah...or both.

The Mets have built themselves up to the point where they now have a mediocre offensive team, but you need to be exceptional at something.
                Last edited by Paulypal; 11-23-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• The Mets are interested in Sterling Marte to (as the article says) "solve its woes in CF".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartanntp

Marte is a nice player, but according to Fangraphs is coming off by far his worst season defensively in his career. -9 DRS.

The same mistakes keep happening in Queens. You don't go trading for a 31 year old CF'er in todays baseball. I would like to have Marte's bat in the lineup but CF is not the spot for him. Kevin Pillar who is 30 years old, and was one the best CF'ers over the past twenty years is showing a -3 DRS last year. CF is a position that you don't hold to defensive dominance forever.

Same mistakes? The article says they Mets would hope that he could return to his 2015-2016 defensive form. Yes when he was 27-28 years old. Don't we all wish we could push the clock backwards? Newsflash for the Joey Van Slick - you cant move the clock backwards.

Just sign Willie Mays and hope he can return to his 1954 form.

I would rather live with Conforto in CF than give up whatever they are going to give up to get Marte.
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 11-24-2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• Marte had a good offensive season last year though. And he can steal bases. The -9 defensive stat is the first time he had a bad year defensively, according to the stat. Flukes are possible; 31 is still prime.

Marte wouldn’t be a bad addition if they can get him without giving up much (eg - take his salary of Pittsburgh’s hands?)

Comment

The Mets are interested in Sterling Marte to (as the article says) "solve its woes in CF".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=spartanntp

Marte is a nice player, but according to Fangraphs is coming off by far his worst season defensively in his career. -9 DRS.

The same mistakes keep happening in Queens. You don't go trading for a 31 year old CF'er in todays baseball. I would like to have Marte's bat in the lineup but CF is not the spot for him. Kevin Pillar who is 30 years old, and was one the best CF'ers over the past twenty years is showing a -3 DRS last year. CF is a position that you don't hold to defensive dominance forever.

Same mistakes? The article says they Mets would hope that he could return to his 2015-2016 defensive form. Yes when he was 27-28 years old. Don't we all wish we could push the clock backwards? Newsflash for the Joey Van Slick - you cant move the clock backwards.

Just sign Willie Mays and hope he can return to his 1954 form.

I would rather live with Conforto in CF than give up whatever they are going to give up to get Marte.
                      I'd rather have Marte than Nimmo in CF. Yes, Pillar would be nice, but the Mets would have to give up even more for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by redban View Post
                        Marte had a good offensive season last year though. And he can steal bases. The -9 defensive stat is the first time he had a bad year defensively, according to the stat. Flukes are possible; 31 is still prime.

Marte wouldn’t be a bad addition if they can get him without giving up much (eg - take his salary of Pittsburgh’s hands?)
                        Marte is a good player.

If they put him in a corner spot - he is not a bad addition. He would be a good edition actually.

So you see his defense bouncing back in his age 31 season? Pittsburgh moved McCutchen out of CF at age 30 because he was losing a step for a CF'er.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

I'd rather have Marte than Nimmo in CF. Yes, Pillar would be nice, but the Mets would have to give up even more for him.
                          My point on Pillar was that the position of CF dominance doesn't last into the 30's on most players no matter how good they are/were. Even Jackie Bradley Jr. isn't as good as he was 3 years ago. He has come up negative in CF the last two years. Sometimes reputation last a lot longer than the skill level.

I would also rather Marte than Nimmo play CF, but I rather have a young CF'er and hopefully get offense out of them. Where that is coming from? I have no clue.

What I do know is that the Mets defense was not very good and it needs to be improved. If Jackie Bradley Jr is acquired then they need to bolster the offense in other places.

If Cespedes steps on the field the outfield defense takes a big hit.

The Mets were 26th in defense in MLB last year.

Comment

Marte is a good player.

If they put him in a corner spot - he is not a bad addition. He would be a good edition actually.

So you see his defense bouncing back in his age 31 season? Pittsburgh moved McCutchen out of CF at age 30 because he was losing a step for a CF'er.
                            The thing it, it doesn't need to. Last year, CF was an offensive vacuum when Lagares played and a defensive vacuum when anyone else played. Marte could repeat last season on both sides of the ball and it would still be a major upgrade. Really, it depends on what the Mets end up giving up. I don't love Marte, but signing him would fill a need and add much needed offensive strength to the middle of the order.

Pick up Marte, get a serviceable back up catcher, then turn your attention to the back of the SP rotation and bullpen.

This is also where I wish the DH existed in the NL. A lineup that looked like this:

McNeil
                            Marte
                            Alonso
                            Conforto
                            Ramos
                            Davis
                            Cano
                            Rosario
                            Nimmo

Looks much better than a lineup with the pitcher's slot at #9 and it adds versatility to the team if Cespedes actually manages to come back.
                            Last edited by jjpm74; 11-24-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Marte is a good player.

Nimmo's better than Marte, even in CF, going forward. CF defense declines with age, in general, and Marte's coming off a PED suspension.

After the debacle with Cano, it's astonishing they're talking about Marte now.

A healthy Nimmo gets on base 40% of the time.

Typically, beyond Marte specifically, they're also focusing on an area of lesser need. They need another starter and a bullpen.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Nimmo's better than Marte, even in CF, going forward. CF defense declines with age, in general, and Marte's coming off a PED suspension.

After the debacle with Cano, it's astonishing they're talking about Marte now.

A healthy Nimmo gets on base 40% of the time.

Typically, beyond Marte specifically, they're also focusing on an area of lesser need. They need another starter and a bullpen.
                                In April, when the season starts, it will be three years since he was suspended in 2017.
                                The only players on the Mets with more hits than Marte in 2019 is Rosario and McNeil.
                                The only player on the Mets with more stolen bases is nobody. Rosario had 19, Marte had 25, down from 33. After Rosario, the next best Met player last year had 7.
                                Marte had 97 runs last year. The only player on the Mets that had more was Alonso, at 103. And Pete had a season for the ages.
                                Only Davis and McNeil had a higher batting average.

He's going into his age 31 season. Jackie Bradley Jr is going into his age 30 season, Both have the same salary in 2020 but JBJ can't compare hitting-wise and they have similar fielding stats.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X