This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Rosario is one of those 5 tool players who lost 4 of those tools in the tool shed. At this point, he is a place holder for whoever of Gimenez, Mauricio, Newton and Vientos bubbles to the top. He needs to jump to an unrealistic level this season that he is not capable of, IMO.

Rosario has speed, but doesn't know when or how to run. He is okay at running the bases, but is bad at stealing bases.
    Rosario has range, but does not know how to field balls properly or when to let the third baseman grab a ball.
    Rosario can hit, but does not know how to take a walk. His career OBP of .305 is bad for the type of player he is supposed to be.

That is too rough around the edges. He has a long way to go to being a good player and is running out of time.
    We all forget how young Rosario is. Maybe he should be learning at the minor leagues but he had the most hits in 2019 of any Met player.

Of all the Shortstops that have won the Gold Glove award in both leagues since the turn of the century, only Arod, Jeter, Renteria and Lindor had played in more games than Rosario thru age 23. Four SS who won the award played in ZERO games in the majors thru age 23. Most of the others played in fewer than 200 games. The ones that come close to Amed is Jimmy Rollins at about 40 fewer games thru age 23. Not saying he can be a gold glover, I'm saying its too soon to know.

We are impatient fans. I understand that. Can players develop on a big league field? I'd like to believe that. Otherwise we are going to have a parade of James Loney, Kelly Johnson, 2017 Jose Reyes, Adrian Gonzalez, Juan Uribe types.

Comment

• Nice discussion on a snowy afternoon. Even better, nobody called anyone any names I think even though we are disagreeing on multiple topics, we still are able to see the logic behind the others points. I guess it is all in the presentation!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
        Nice discussion on a snowy afternoon. Even better, nobody called anyone any names I think even though we are disagreeing on multiple topics, we still are able to see the logic behind the others points. I guess it is all in the presentation!
        I’m still waiting for the snow to arrive. A little rain so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

I’m still waiting for the snow to arrive. A little rain so far.
          None for me, thanks. Omg, it's so nice to not have to shovel it or drive in it. No more. I'll never miss the weather. We got a little rain the other day. Hadn't since, oh, June?

The mountains behind me are pretty white already. Nice.

Put it in the books.

Comment

• I didn't have any when the sun went down. Currently, I have about an inch. It actually looks nice against the reindeer I threw in the front lawn on Saturday.

Comment

We all forget how young Rosario is. Maybe he should be learning at the minor leagues but he had the most hits in 2019 of any Met player.

Of all the Shortstops that have won the Gold Glove award in both leagues since the turn of the century, only Arod, Jeter, Renteria and Lindor had played in more games than Rosario thru age 23. Four SS who won the award played in ZERO games in the majors thru age 23. Most of the others played in fewer than 200 games. The ones that come close to Amed is Jimmy Rollins at about 40 fewer games thru age 23. Not saying he can be a gold glover, I'm saying its too soon to know.

We are impatient fans. I understand that. Can players develop on a big league field? I'd like to believe that. Otherwise we are going to have a parade of James Loney, Kelly Johnson, 2017 Jose Reyes, Adrian Gonzalez, Juan Uribe types.
              Very accurate to say Rosario has not lived up to the hype he received while he was in the minors. I would consider him an overall average ML SS right now. I do not see the potential of him becoming an all-star any time soon. He is young and I am sure he will get a couple of more years with the Mets while he still makes financial sense.

I guess it could also be said that McNeil and deGROM were under hyped. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.

Comment

Very accurate to say Rosario has not lived up to the hype he received while he was in the minors. I would consider him an overall average ML SS right now. I do not see the potential of him becoming an all-star any time soon. He is young and I am sure he will get a couple of more years with the Mets while he still makes financial sense.

I guess it could also be said that McNeil and deGROM were under hyped. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.
                No shame in under hyping deGrom. His change in position, TJS, late draft pick. Who here said this guy is a double Cy Young winner in waiting?
                McNeil didn’t play a game in the majors til age 26. Three years older than Rosario is today.

Comment

If you check out ESPN's sortable defensive stats for SS's you will see that Rosario ranks as a near bottom SS.

Range -- which is what everyone says Rosario has -- he ranks 18th out of the 22 qualified SS's with enough innings. So the "range eye test" is false.

DWar he is 21st out of 22.

Offensively he ranks 14th out of 20 qualified in WAR

At the end of the day he is very sub-standard MLB SS.

When I watch him - the above is what I see and what I have said for 2 years now in regards to Rosario.

Can he improve? I am sure he could, but unless you are looking through rose colored glasses Rosario has not been impressive at all thus far.

I will say again -- When you watch Baez, Lindor, Correa, Turner, Story even guys like Didi, Semian etc - you see "It". Me personally I have never seen it with Rosario. Again 2020 is a make or break season for him. He needs to make a big leap. He will go past 2000 plate appearances this year and its time to show something.

Without looking thus far I dont know how many players made a huge leap - regardless of age - after 2000 plate appearances.
                  Last edited by Paulypal; 12-03-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

None for me, thanks. Omg, it's so nice to not have to shovel it or drive in it. No more. I'll never miss the weather. We got a little rain the other day. Hadn't since, oh, June?

The mountains behind me are pretty white already. Nice.

A few things in regards to your above post:

1) I had to clean snow off my car this morning
                    2) It hasnt rained here since.oh yesterday
                    3) the only mountain I see is when Sunrise Hwy goes over a street and becomes an overpass.

Other than that - I think our weather is very similar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

If you check out ESPN's sortable defensive stats for SS's you will see that Rosario ranks as a near bottom SS.

Range -- which is what everyone says Rosario has -- he ranks 18th out of the 22 qualified SS's with enough innings. So the "range eye test" is false.

DWar he is 21st out of 22.

Offensively he ranks 14th out of 20 qualified in WAR

At the end of the day he is very sub-standard MLB SS.

When I watch him - the above is what I see and what I have said for 2 years now in regards to Rosario.

Can he improve? I am sure he could, but unless you are looking through rose colored glasses Rosario has not been impressive at all thus far.

I will say again -- When you watch Baez, Lindor, Correa, Turner, Story even guys like Didi, Semian etc - you see "It". Me personally I have never seen it with Rosario. Again 2020 is a make or break season for him. He needs to make a big leap. He will go past 2000 plate appearances this year and its time to show something.

Without looking thus far I dont know how many players made a huge leap - regardless of age - after 2000 plate appearances.
                      I'm glad you mentioned those players. We've all worked with really good co-workers; when they show up for work that is. Of this group, only Rosario and Story always show up for work.

Baez started his career so badly he was demoted to the minors in 2015 until September call up time. He was on the IL in 2019.
                      Lindor, who is all world, began the 2019 season on the IL.
                      Correa was on the IL for 50 games in 2017, 48 games in 2018 and 87 games in 2019.
                      Turner was on the IL for two months in 2019.
                      Didi was on the IL for a month in 2017 and out for 80 games in 2019.
                      Semien was on the IL for 77 games in 2017.

80% of success is just showing up. Or 90% of life is showing up. A good cliché that certainly relates to baseball. You can have it all you want, but there is something to be said for what Story and Rosario do, stay on the field. Story played in 97 Major League games thru age 23 to Rosario's 357 though.

Comment

• On an actual Hot Stove note, Wheeler already has a 100mil offer.

Comment

I'm glad you mentioned those players. We've all worked with really good co-workers; when they show up for work that is. Of this group, only Rosario and Story always show up for work.

Baez started his career so badly he was demoted to the minors in 2015 until September call up time. He was on the IL in 2019.
                          Lindor, who is all world, began the 2019 season on the IL.
                          Correa was on the IL for 50 games in 2017, 48 games in 2018 and 87 games in 2019.
                          Turner was on the IL for two months in 2019.
                          Didi was on the IL for a month in 2017 and out for 80 games in 2019.
                          Semien was on the IL for 77 games in 2017.

80% of success is just showing up. Or 90% of life is showing up. A good cliché that certainly relates to baseball. You can have it all you want, but there is something to be said for what Story and Rosario do, stay on the field. Story played in 97 Major League games thru age 23 to Rosario's 357 though.
                          So he has played all these games and has showed up. Great. When does he start playing well? Now based upon the above he has LESS of an excuse because has put the time in.

Your argument against the endlessly more talented players doesnt hold water. When you go to work -- sit there and do very little. When your boss is firing you tell him "you cant fire me - I showed up, and that is 90% of my success".

Are you seriously going to try to compare Rosario to anyone I mentioned, and use the IL as the reason. I would take anyone I mentioned over Rosario and risk the injury 7 days a week.

Rosario is a sub-standard MLB shortstop. We can slice it however we want.

Hopefully he can overcome his physical shortcomings such as explosiveness, bat speed, range, glove to become even a middle of the road MLB SS. Right now it is what it is.

Comment

On an actual Hot Stove note, Wheeler already has a 100mil offer.
                            That is a crazy offer for whoever made it. If he is worth more than that, the Mets got a real steal of a deal for deGrom.

I assumed Wheeler's ceiling could be in the 75-90 million range. Guess I was wrong. What does that mean for Cole and Strasburg?

Comment

So he has played all these games and has showed up. Great. When does he start playing well? Now based upon the above he has LESS of an excuse because has put the time in.

Your argument against the endlessly more talented players doesnt hold water. When you go to work -- sit there and do very little. When your boss is firing you tell him "you cant fire me - I showed up, and that is 90% of my success".

Are you seriously going to try to compare Rosario to anyone I mentioned, and use the IL as the reason. I would take anyone I mentioned over Rosario and risk the injury 7 days a week.

Hopefully he can overcome his physical shortcomings such as explosiveness, bat speed, range, glove to become even a middle of the road MLB SS. Right now it is what it is.
                              I would say average is being fair. Substandard, that's a little too rough. Something to be said for playing everyday also. If your "star" shortstop is hurt and your backup is not also a "star", your team suffers.

I think by the fall of 2021 we can give a more thorough assessment of Rosario's skills.

Comment

I am pointing out he plays every day and is good shape. Some clown called Alonso fat on twitter. That will be the day when a fan says that about Rosario.

He doesn't have to be all world like Lindor There's only one Lindor.

If he's done developing, I don't buy it. Doesn't mean anyone has to agree with me. The notion that anyone at age 23, in any walk of life, is done developing doesn't compute.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X