X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post

I've heard a bunch of people suggest that, I hope they do it, looks like things are starting to get really bad in NY and LA's probably a few days to a week behind.

And now Noah needs TJS.

Which is impossibly insignificant next to everything else that's happening in the world (a couple friends of mine in Paris and Hamburg couldn't even get flour for days, and some Russian clients I teach say people in Moscow are buying a ton of buckwheat, of all things, it's crazy everywhere) but still--even with baseball shut down for a pandemic the Mets' injury bug knows no bounds. Only the Mets.
    Well in 2019 they had no injuries. That could not continue. Besides Nimmo they had not significant injuries and none to the pitching staff. That is unheard of. A huge part of their 86 wins was because of health.

Leave a comment:

• Shea Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

My new prediction is that the All Star Game is the way the season kicks off in July, and they play the 2nd half of the season. 70-80 game season.
    I've heard a bunch of people suggest that, I hope they do it, looks like things are starting to get really bad in NY and LA's probably a few days to a week behind.

And now Noah needs TJS.

Which is impossibly insignificant next to everything else that's happening in the world (a couple friends of mine in Paris and Hamburg couldn't even get flour for days, and some Russian clients I teach say people in Moscow are buying a ton of buckwheat, of all things, it's crazy everywhere) but still--even with baseball shut down for a pandemic the Mets' injury bug knows no bounds. Only the Mets.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    Veteran right-hander Edwin Jackson received minor league offers from two teams before electing to reunite with one of his many previous teams – the Diamondbacks – back in February, Zach Buchanan of The Athletic reports. The Mets were the other club in on Jackson, according to Buchanan.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...n-jackson.html

I had mentioned Edwin Jackson as a potentially useful starter for the Mets back in 2019, actually three times in the 2019 season thread:
    In one spring training start, he gave up 9 runs in 5 innings and was semi-useful in 2018. I can see him being a back of the rotation/mop up guy.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    Veteran right-hander Edwin Jackson received minor league offers from two teams before electing to reunite with one of his many previous teams – the Diamondbacks – back in February, Zach Buchanan of The Athletic reports. The Mets were the other club in on Jackson, according to Buchanan.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...n-jackson.html

I had mentioned Edwin Jackson as a potentially useful starter for the Mets back in 2019, actually three times in the 2019 season thread:

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

The Mets could have easily gone out and traded for Edwin Jackson like Toronto did. They picked him up for cash considerations.

I'd like for someone to tell me Edwin Jackson would not be a good fit on this team over Wilmer Font or Drew Gagnon or Tyler Bashlor, whose names were sound like they were generated by a random name generator.

Leave a comment:

• brooklynboy
    replied

My new prediction is that the All Star Game is the way the season kicks off in July, and they play the 2nd half of the season. 70-80 game season.
    Looks that way Pauly. They can't go much past July 1 and have a realistic season.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

You know it won't be baseball related for a while as much as we want it to stay on the topic on the Mets. Honestly, I'm not even thinking about baseball right now. I am waiting to hear back to see if I am positive or negative. That is the new norm.

On the Mets, there really is absolutely nothing going on.
    Yeah, but this is BBF, JJ, and it really has to stay true to its mantra of baseball-only chat. It simply can't be about anything else. Privately, have at it, but on the board it has to maintain a tie to the game. If nothing's going on with the Mets or baseball worth posting, my good friend, it'll have to be a quiet board until there is.

It's a judgement call as to how far it can digress, and I'm doin' the best I can lately.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by milladrive View Post
    Guys, please remember to keep it baseball-related. It can't digress into a concentrated discourse about even something as important as this.
    You know it won't be baseball related for a while as much as we want it to stay on the topic on the Mets. Honestly, I'm not even thinking about baseball right now. I am waiting to hear back to see if I am positive or negative. That is the new norm.

On the Mets, there really is absolutely nothing going on.

Leave a comment:

• milladrive
    replied
    Guys, please remember to keep it baseball-related. It can't digress into a concentrated discourse about even something as important as this.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    In the meantime, be prepared.
    Yes, absolutely! Things are going to get worse before they get together.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Individuals, including Bartolo Colon, have to go elsewhere to get the most advanced treatment.
    Does Bartolo have the virus?

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    A friend of mine is a doctor at a big hospital. He was feeling unwell. I told him to get tested for the new contagion. He told me they don't have testing! Not encouraging.

I follow sports worldwide, and read their forums. Some other countries are a bit ahead of us in terms of virus spread. There are murmurs there of effective martial law by early next week. I'd advise everyone to get plenty of dried food: rice, beans, canned goods.

I still expect this to be temporary, but at this point, government response here concerns me. I've read the FDA refused to use the WHO approved tests for the virus, insisted all tests be sent to the CDC for analysis - a policy only recently terminated - and the result appears to be paralysis.

We have a number of promising anti-virals and other palliatives, plus a vaccine that's begun testing. But will they be made available in a timely fashion? I've suspected for a while that many of the FDA's regulations are arbitrary. Various over-the-counter medications available in Europe are illegal here. Individuals, including Bartolo Colon, have to go elsewhere to get the most advanced treatment.

My worry is this will drag out longer than it should, jeopardizing life and the common weal. I guess we'll see.

In the meantime, be prepared.

Leave a comment:

• Mister B.
    replied

And right on cue, my worthless package of season tickets arrived today via Fed-ex.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

Right now, it sounds like the federal government is looking like an August time frame for returning to normalcy. At best, baseball would be able to do a tournament like the World Cup if that is the case.

Leave a comment:

• jjpm74
    replied

True but in 1981 & 1994 we had baseball - not in full but we had it, and both seasons started on time. In 1995 it started late but we knew it was starting shortly so that was palatable.

Right now - daily - everything becomes more in doubt, but I still think baseball gets played at some point.

Shutting down is only effective if everything gets shut down. Pull the plug for 3 weeks to a month. Partial shutdowns mean only a slowdown - not a stoppage. Easier said that done as businesses will take a beating. There are other issues with a full shutdown - such as food. So probably not realistic, but you would have to think in a months time anyone that has it - it would run its course.

I dont think we will ever know how widespread it is as there are a lot of people that are asymptomatic. This is not unique to this thing - many viruses are in that category.
    Right now, it sounds like the federal government is looking like an August time frame for returning to normalcy. At best, baseball would be able to do a tournament like the World Cup if that is the case.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

What you say sounds plausible but the issue, from what I am reading, is that shorter term shutdowns elsewhere in the world have not been effective. That's why we're hearing about shutdowns that are measured in months rather than weeks.

No baseball - it's happened before. Summer of 1981. The 1994 season ended in August, and 1995 started late. It's been a while, but we've done this. Personally I won't miss it as much until the weather warms up. Never thought that playing / attending in frigid March / April conditions is much fun for anyone. Growing up, the season started in mid-April and they (the Mets, anyway) did not play night games until May.

Stay safe, everyone.
    True but in 1981 & 1994 we had baseball - not in full but we had it, and both seasons started on time. In 1995 it started late but we knew it was starting shortly so that was palatable.

Right now - daily - everything becomes more in doubt, but I still think baseball gets played at some point.

Shutting down is only effective if everything gets shut down. Pull the plug for 3 weeks to a month. Partial shutdowns mean only a slowdown - not a stoppage. Easier said that done as businesses will take a beating. There are other issues with a full shutdown - such as food. So probably not realistic, but you would have to think in a months time anyone that has it - it would run its course.

I dont think we will ever know how widespread it is as there are a lot of people that are asymptomatic. This is not unique to this thing - many viruses are in that category.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 03-17-2020, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X