• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torrealba Considering Litigation Against Mets

Torrealba finalizes deal with Rockies

DAVID LENNON
    November 30, 2007

The reason for the sudden collapse of Yorvit Torrealba's deal with the Mets has been a closely guarded secret the past two weeks. The team insisted that Torrealba failed a physical, but his agent, Melvin Roman, disputed that last night and said Torrealba might take legal action against the Mets for what he asserts is a fraudulent claim.

"I'm disappointed how the whole situation was handled by them," Roman said. "Yorvit is 100 percent healthy. I'm talking to the Players Association and we're investigating where to go from here."

Torrealba finalized a two-year contract worth a guaranteed $7.25 million yesterday to return to the Rockies, who apparently have no health concerns involving him. But the Mets scuttled their three-year, $14.4-million deal with Torrealba because of what the team said is a 50 percent tear of the rotator cuff.

Roman said Torrealba was examined by the Rockies' team physician and orthopedist James Andrews, who did not find any sign of a tear. Torrealba's camp believes that general manager Omar Minaya changed his mind. Minaya had no comment.

They never revealed it to the media. The media just assumed it.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X