Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wally Backman threw batting practice to me yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wally Backman threw batting practice to me yesterday.

As most of you know I live on Long Island.

The company I work for has a "luxury box" at Ducks Stadium aka Bethpage Park in Central Islip. So we dole out $20k a year for the box.

Every October the Ducks have a day for those that sponsor the organization. About a group of 20 which included 3 people from my company...….including me. Being the CFO of the company and I write the check...…..damn right I am going. LOL.

So we get there at 10:00 warm up on the field.
    11:00 we have batting practice - MLB Style. A couple of different groups getting a few swings with a rotation.
    Wally Backman (Ducks manager) and Lew Ford (Ducks coach/player --------who had a nice little career with the Twins and Orioles was also pitching BP)

Then from 12-1ish we split up into two teams and play a game with both of the above pitching for a team.

1-2pm we have lunch.

Its a great day. I also went last year when Kevin Baez (ex-Met) was the manager ----so he pitched.

Wally seemed like he had an ok time...I guess. More seemed like he did it because he had to. Lew Ford is a really good dude and had a great time. He sat with me at lunch and we talked about his MLB career for a bit.

Believe me when I tell you that the competitiveness of both Wally/Lew hasnt left. They both really wanted to win the game......like really wanted to win. It was fun but they wanted to win.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 10-12-2019, 07:15 AM.

Hey man, that sounds like it was a lotta fun! I'm guessing he didn't offer any thoughts on the skipper opening or you'd've said.

I met Wally in Feb '18 at a VFW in Hartford. We didn't chat but he seemed cool.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
      Hey man, that sounds like it was a lotta fun! I'm guessing he didn't offer any thoughts on the skipper opening or you'd've said.

I met Wally in Feb '18 at a VFW in Hartford. We didn't chat but he seemed cool.
      No I spoke to Wally but very little. He seemed ok.

His cell kept going off and he took a few calls -- Probably his lawyer. LOL I wasn't going to ask about the Met manager job as it probably was a sore spot for him and he would decked me with a high tight fastball!!! LOL

It was a blast. Which is why I wanted to share with the forum.

My one big takeaway as I mentioned above was how competitive he was. He was doing it while smiling but it was there. I loved that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X