Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brodie Van Wagenen Watch

Figure it's worthy of its own thread.

I would think one of the first things to take place when Cohen starts financing is change who handles his money. I could be wrong. Hope not, tho.

If I had to guess, he may hold on to VW for a season, but, considering he's a Wilpon hiring with a penchant for acquiring former clients, I'd think even that's a stretch.

I'm always interested to know more.
    Put it in the books.

Given how neutered this guy is when it comes to any kind of a budget, I don't know if I can really fault him for this year. Last year's signings and the big trade were, for the most part, a total disaster but again, how much of that was him and how much of that was Jeff Wilpon?

I know he was all in on Betances until Jeff Wilpon shut that down and Jeff Wilpon is the one who let Wheeler walk and sign within the division.

Comment

I have to believe that BVW is gone after the 2020 season. This assumes the ink is dry over the next 3-4 months and MLB approves the deal by next fall.

According to what I have read Cohen is an analytical guy. BVW is a yes guy. If Cohen or any other owner is truly interested in winning a yes guy is not the answer. He will find a more analytical GM, and I am betting that Cohen is making his GM list right now. BVW has kept his seat warm at CAA by signing their clients.

The Mets already turned down Chaim Bloom twice. He is one of the best in the business but yet the Mets didnt want him. I wont go into why - we all know why.

If you want to get the fan base over the moon about the 2021 season get a new owner who immediately changes GM's and gets rid of the Wilpon stench. Then beef up the analytical department, and have the baseball people run the baseball operations.

Assuming the above happens then I believe Beltran gets 2021 and anything after that is dependent on the on field success. Like any other situation the GM will get a crack at his own manager, but if Beltran is working out and there is no need to change they wont. At least for one year.

Comment

What's the point of bothering to watch Brody? Watching a vendor at the stadium makes more sense. If you're hungry, at least you can order a sausage. Brody offers nothing. Neither make significant personnel decisions.

If Fred had wanted a real GM, he would have picked one. I'd rather not dignify the current charade by recognizing Fred and Jeff's human shield as an authentic baseball executive.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
          What's the point of bothering to watch Brody? Watching a vendor at the stadium makes more sense. If you're hungry, at least you can order a sausage. Brody offers nothing. Neither make significant personnel decisions.

If Fred had wanted a real GM, he would have picked one. I'd rather not dignify the current charade by recognizing Fred and Jeff's human shield as an authentic baseball executive.
          Hence the immediate releasing under new ownership

Comment

But he does have an authentic job that I'm looking forward to seein' him lose.

I think at this point it's almost a foregone conclusion that VW is just an inside connection for JefFred, and that the two-headed monster imposes the ultimate word when it comes to roster moves. Plus, he's definitely viewed by most as their crony.

It wouldn't surprise me if, as Pauly suggests, Cohen's making his list (and checking it twice) as we speak. Or if he in fact has someone in mind, or even if he's already begun privately interviewing. If none of the above, something tells me that he won't waste any time assessing Brodie's GM "WAR" once it's not affected by financial restrictions.

"Five years" is a long time. Few people think it'll be that long before seeing Cohen's effect. I think the point of watching BVW -- just a watch; not a stare -- is to know when the coin is actually flipped. Whether we've gotten word of the official changing of the owner guard or not, we'll know there's a better cash flow either when Brodie has more to spend or is fired.
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

But he does have an authentic job that I'm looking forward to seein' him lose.

I think at this point it's almost a foregone conclusion that VW is just an inside connection for JefFred, and that the two-headed monster imposes the ultimate word when it comes to roster moves. Plus, he's definitely viewed by most as their crony.

It wouldn't surprise me if, as Pauly suggests, Cohen's making his list (and checking it twice) as we speak. Or if he in fact has someone in mind, or even if he's already begun privately interviewing. If none of the above, something tells me that he won't waste any time assessing Brodie's GM "WAR" once it's not affected by financial restrictions.

"Five years" is a long time. Few people think it'll be that long before seeing Cohen's effect. I think the point of watching BVW -- just a watch; not a stare -- is to know when the coin is actually flipped. Whether we've gotten word of the official changing of the owner guard or not, we'll know there's a better cash flow either when Brodie has more to spend or is fired.
              Brody's not the illness, only a symptom.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Heh, or perhaps one illness stemming from another. Like the cirrhosis from years of alcoholism. The body may not be fully functional again until both A.A. and a transplant.

Guess I'm just not a Van Wagenen fan. Never was, even before his current role.

But hey, like I say, I'm okay if Cohen decides to retain him and he excels with the new budget. I have so much faith that Steven A. Cohen will make good decisions, my toes tingle just typing his name.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

Agreed, but if Cohen is a truly a Met fan than he hates the way these two have run the team as much as you and I do then he understands how important it is to rid of all things Wilpon to let the fan base know the new sheriff is in town type of thing.

I think the only way BVW is retained is if Cohen's control comes in pieces over the dreaded 5 year period. Lets hope it doesn't go down that way.

Comment

I see this ad here sporadically. Gotta be a coincidence; I can't find a connection.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by milladrive; 01-18-2020, 02:34 PM.
                    Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X