Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brodie Van Wagenen Watch

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

    (Just looked Bochy up. Baseball Reference says he played for the Mets in 1982! I didn't remember until I thought very hard. Milladrive, was he in an updated yearbook back in 1982? I seem to remember something like that. But the memory was lurking unconnected to his eventual future as manager.

    )
    I definitely remember. No specifics; I just remember him being a scrub catcher with an early '80s scrub Mets. Before that, I used to confuse his name with Bruce Bochte.

    I also remember his name when he was first hired as manager, never dreaming in a million years he'd go on to such legendary longevity.

    What I didn't know was that he was born in France. Learn sumpn new every day.

    To answer your question about the '82 yearbook (sorta), there were indeed 2 editions that year, but without looking -- I'm not home -- I'm not certain if the second edition was a revision or a bookstore issue. Either way, since Bochy didn't join the team till late August, odds are a single revision wouldn't have him, as they tended to be issued around the All-Star break.
    Put it in the books.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

      If Van Wagenen is retained, it'll be without any power. Alderson will call the shots. Alderson might take a title of interim GM, if a new GM can't be found during the off-season. Van Wagenen will still be getting paid, but only the Wilpons would use that to justify someone unwanted lingering.

      We have to remember: in normal franchises, the GM picks the manager, and the manager assembles the coaches (though often, coaches rose through the ranks of an organization, so the GM was sometimes involved, as well). Managers seldom survive regime. Unless you're a local legend like Bruce Bochy.

      (Just looked Bochy up. Baseball Reference says he played for the Mets in 1982! I didn't remember until I thought very hard. Milladrive, was he in an updated yearbook back in 1982? I seem to remember something like that. But the memory was lurking unconnected to his eventual future as manager.

      By the way, haven't seen you on this board lately.)
      I don’t remember Bochy but I do remember Larry Bowa as a Met player. Yuck.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

        I don’t remember Bochy but I do remember Larry Bowa as a Met player. Yuck.
        Bochy was traded to the Mets 2/11/81 and released by the Mets 1/21/83. I assume he was injured for most of the year since he only appeared in 16 games.I don't remember him on the team. Stearns and Hodges were the catchers back then.

        If he was on the team for that long, he must have appeared in one of the Mets yearbooks.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

          Bochy was traded to the Mets 2/11/81 and released by the Mets 1/21/83. I assume he was injured for most of the year since he only appeared in 16 games.I don't remember him on the team. Stearns and Hodges were the catchers back then.

          If he was on the team for that long, he must have appeared in one of the Mets yearbooks.
          Yes sir. I had neglected to look at his transaction dates.

          And sure enough, Bochy is in the 1981 and 1982 yearbooks. 1981 had just one edition, and in 1982 he was in both the first edition and the revision.

          He actually appeared in 17 games, according to BR. Those splendid 1982 Mets were 5-12 in games he appeared.
          Put it in the books.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by milladrive View Post

            Yes sir. I had neglected to look at his transaction dates.

            And sure enough, Bochy is in the 1981 and 1982 yearbooks. 1981 had just one edition, and in 1982 he was in both the first edition and the revision.

            He actually appeared in 17 games, according to BR. Those splendid 1982 Mets were 5-12 in games he appeared.
            I knew I remembered him from a yearbook!

            It comes back to me. Like yourself, I confused him with Bruce Bochte, who was pretty good, when I first heard about the transaction. Then I found out the Mets got Bruce Bochy and felt screwed. "Who's that?" But my biggest (and only) memory of him as a Met was seeing him in a yearbook. That made it official.

            But if you'd asked me cold if I remembered Bruce Bochy was a Met, I probably would have said "no". I had to be reminded he was even here, to remember thinking how weird it was to see some stranger in a Mets uniform, in the yearbook, named Bruce Bochy. And I didn't think it was important enough to retain, so when he became a manager, I never made the connection.

            I'm surprised I couldn't remember Bochy, not because he was memorable, but because I lug so much worthless Mets info around involuntarily. I remember Ronn Reynolds, and even Rick Sweet from that team. I wish I could repurpose the mental space Ronn Reynolds takes up, and reassign it to something more useful - like where I just put my keys, or wallet.


            "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by milladrive View Post

              Yes sir. I had neglected to look at his transaction dates.

              And sure enough, Bochy is in the 1981 and 1982 yearbooks. 1981 had just one edition, and in 1982 he was in both the first edition and the revision.

              He actually appeared in 17 games, according to BR. Those splendid 1982 Mets were 5-12 in games he appeared.
              So based on this conversation I looked up the 1982 Mets.

              I dont mean to hijack the BVW thread but in short order BVW will be toast so he should feel good that he even has a thread.

              Anyway in looking up the 1982 Mets -

              Bochy hit .306 -with the highest OPS and OPS+ on the team -- yes small sample

              Kingman hit 37 homers and had an OPS+ below league average with 99

              The Mets big signing of George Foster hit 13 homes after hitting 22 in a strike shortened 1981. I was one excited kid when they signed Foster. My 17 year old self didnt know at the time that you dont sign a 32 year old OF'er. Now I do.

              Pete Falcone was the only pitcher with 100K's with 101

              The horrible 82 Mets had 15 complete games. The 2019 Mets had 3.

              The Mook stole 58 bases which I believe was the record until Reyes broke it.

              They had a Sweet, Valentine, and a Swan. Hallmark Card material.

              They had two Rusty's..........Staub and Tillman.

              The Un-scuffed Mike Scott had a 5.14 ERA

              Jessie Orosco was in his 3rd season as an MLB player --- he 21 more after that.

              Comment


              • #22

                Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                I dont mean to hijack the BVW thread but in short order BVW will be toast so he should feel good that he even has a thread.
                Lol

                Anyway in looking up the 1982 Mets -

                Bochy hit .306 -with the highest OPS and OPS+ on the team -- yes small sample

                Kingman hit 37 homers and had an OPS+ below league average with 99

                The Mets big signing of George Foster hit 13 homes after hitting 22 in a strike shortened 1981. I was one excited kid when they signed Foster. My 17 year old self didnt know at the time that you dont sign a 32 year old OF'er. Now I do.

                Pete Falcone was the only pitcher with 100K's with 101

                The horrible 82 Mets had 15 complete games. The 2019 Mets had 3.

                The Mook stole 58 bases which I believe was the record until Reyes broke it.

                They had a Sweet, Valentine, and a Swan. Hallmark Card material.

                They had two Rusty's..........Staub and Tillman.

                The Un-scuffed Mike Scott had a 5.14 ERA

                Jessie Orosco was in his 3rd season as an MLB player --- he 21 more after that.
                I love this kinda stuff.



                I too was excited to get the heaviest hitter from the Big Red Machine. I really anticipated 50 homers. Hah.

                I seem to recall Pete Falcone once striking out the first 6 hitters he faced to start a game. Could've been '82.
                Put it in the books.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

                  I'm surprised I couldn't remember Bochy, not because he was memorable, but because I lug so much worthless Mets info around involuntarily. I remember Ronn Reynolds, and even Rick Sweet from that team. I wish I could repurpose the mental space Ronn Reynolds takes up, and reassign it to something more useful - like where I just put my keys, or wallet.
                  I completely get where you are coming from. I'd rather use my brain cells for things like where is my car than Butch Benton's brief stint with the Mets as a backup catcher in 1980.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by milladrive View Post


                    Lol



                    I love this kinda stuff.



                    I too was excited to get the heaviest hitter from the Big Red Machine. I really anticipated 50 homers. Hah.

                    I seem to recall Pete Falcone once striking out the first 6 hitters he faced to start a game. Could've been '82.
                    We all expected big thing from Foster, but age and the ball park caught up to him. Riverfront and Shea were two very different parks.

                    In George's defense he did have a 28/90 season in 1983 but if you look the rest of his numbers he still wasnt very good. His 84' 85' were actually above average.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 10-20-2020, 06:49 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I remember Bochy not specifically from 1982, but because when he became more successful and better known later on, I knew of him only because he was an ex-Met.

                      Guess Foster was the first big signing of the Cashen / Doubleday era, so they did not begin with a win.

                      The highlight of 1982 was Wilson, and the $4M Diamond Vision which was ahead of its time, replacing a lame two-line message board that had only been there for two years. It was a nifty thing to see. They encouraged people to come early to watch the occasional pre-game movie. So, the new owners were willing to invest. Hopefully history repeats itself in that regard.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Mister B. View Post
                        I remember Bochy not specifically from 1982, but because when he became more successful and better known later on, I knew of him only because he was an ex-Met.

                        Guess Foster was the first big signing of the Cashen / Doubleday era, so they did not begin with a win.

                        The highlight of 1982 was Wilson, and the $4M Diamond Vision which was ahead of its time, replacing a lame two-line message board that had only been there for two years. It was a nifty thing to see. They encouraged people to come early to watch the occasional pre-game movie. So, the new owners were willing to invest. Hopefully history repeats itself in that regard.
                        It was like going to your uncles house who just got a state of the art Zenith 25" inch wooden console TV --- it didnt matter what was on -- it was about the TV. Dont pay attention to the actual show on the field, but look at the nice new antenna.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                          https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...bmi-story.html

                          BVW and Omar are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEE!!!

                          Dont let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you.
                          You guys can't see it but I'm doing a jig of glee as I type this.

                          Put it in the books.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Goodbye and good riddance

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X