This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets 2020 Hiatus Thread

Well, no baseball, with no work for many of us, under voluntary confinement, and perhaps mandatory confinement coming.

...If we're lucky enough to remain healthy.

Discuss.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I was kinda wondering how to approach this. A minor tweak and we're good to go.

That said, it so stinks that a thread like this is in order. What a really lousy game-changing turn of events we've seen in even less than a week. We can only try to keep our spirits as high as possible and muddle thru to the best of our abilities. It goes without saying that everyone here on the Metsie board is important to me, and I hope we all get thru this without a hitch.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

I figure baseball related stuff can go to the off-season thread. For now, though, the horrific impact of the pandemic is only beginning to be felt.

The FDA, by scotching the ability of America to test for the virus, almost seemed determined to allow it to spread as wide as possible. The disaster was apparent for many weeks:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fd...ing-2020-03-17

This is a scandal that will probably lead to tens of thousands, if not more, getting infected. South Korea stopped the spread of the virus with timely testing. We still effectively have no testing. I can't see how such a decision could have been made in good faith. Only corruption could explain it. I'm not well versed enough to know the particulars, but policy decisions as insane as this are usually explained by illicit money or power grabs.

Think about it: We have anti-virals like Remdesivir, already developed and simply waiting for FDA approval. We have medicines that prevent cykotine storms, which need only be made more widely available, to keep many afflicted from becoming critical. Moderna has developed a vaccine. I understand, the FDA still intends on three stages of trials, with an 18 month lead time until it becomes available - assuming it works!

Or we could have shut the border, when we saw what was going on in China.

The threat here should have been minimal. (It could still be minimized, with fast approval and production of treatments.) There should have been no direct economic disruption. If medicines are rushed to market, this could still be very temporary. But I've developed a negative confidence in those charged with protecting us. I guess you could compare it to my diminishing faith in the Mets front office in the late 80s.

Anything like martial law will equate to the Samuel trade, for me. And there are now whispers of it.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
        I figure baseball related stuff can go to the off-season thread. For now, though, the horrific impact of the pandemic is only beginning to be felt.
        I understand you, my friend, but off-topic discussion can't be a part of BBF. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Armageddon could be upon us, but unless the discussion is how baseball is affected by it, it can't be pursued on the BBF board.

I figure this can be a good thread to have as the primary to discuss whatever Mets until some actual activity begins to take place. ...or even until NEWS of activity is announced. It just can't digress into something not Mets.

Please, guys, I know how tough these times are. But we're still at Baseball-Fever. Try to understand my position.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I understand you, my friend, but off-topic discussion can't be a part of BBF. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Armageddon could be upon us, but unless the discussion is how baseball is affected by it, it can't be pursued on the BBF board.

I figure this can be a good thread to have as the primary to discuss whatever Mets until some actual activity begins to take place. ...or even until NEWS of activity is announced. It just can't digress into something not Mets.

Please, guys, I know how tough these times are. But we're still at Baseball-Fever. Try to understand my position.
          Milla, I can see both sides on this issue. However, as you say, this is a baseball site and should be posts about baseball.
          North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
            Or we could have shut the border, when we saw what was going on in China.
            Canada, U.S. plan to close border to non-essential travel
            https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-travel-135373
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

Canada, U.S. plan to close border to non-essential travel
              https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-travel-135373
              Is the Yanks playing the Blue Jays essential? I think it is.

Comment

Some procedural roster moves for the Mets, who optioned the following players to Triple-A Syracuse:

-RHP Tyler Bashlor
                -INF Andrés Giménez
                -C Ali Sánchez

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...01401926905858
                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                  Some procedural roster moves for the Mets, who optioned the following players to Triple-A Syracuse:

-RHP Tyler Bashlor
                  -INF Andrés Giménez
                  -C Ali Sánchez

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...01401926905858
                  No surprises there. Not sure what the point was, though since there is currently no baseball going on at any level.

Comment

Noah getting TJS. No way they were staying as healthy as they did in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                      LOL! How did that happen?

Comment

Very strange times indeed. If this was a "normal" situation and Noah went down with TJS 2 days before OD this board would have been filled with pages and pages of posts.

Barely a whisper.

Comment

Very strange times indeed. If this was a "normal" situation and Noah went down with TJS 2 days before OD this board would have been filled with pages and pages of posts.

Barely a whisper.
                          That is because there will be no baseball this season, so he really isn't going to miss anything.

Comment

Once again, another guy they should have traded.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

That is because there will be no baseball this season, so he really isn't going to miss anything.
                              Well hopefully we have a 2nd half of a season.

Either way he will miss time in 2021.
                              Last edited by Paulypal; 03-25-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X