Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mets 2020 Hiatus Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

    ESPN will cover anything
    In Afghanistan they play buzkashi which is a bunch of guys on horseback trying to throw a goat carcass into a goal.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

    Comment


    • Bartolo Colon wants to pitch for Mets in 2020: 'If it was up to me, I would retire with the Mets'
      'I would like my career to end in New York.'

      https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/bartolo...mets/313447628
      Last edited by milladrive; 05-18-2020, 11:47 AM. Reason: Fixed link :)
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
        Bartolo Colon wants to pitch for Mets in 2020: 'If it was up to me, I would retire with the Mets'
        'I would like my career to end in New York.'

        https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/bartolo...mets/313447628
        Maybe Bartolo doesnt realize it but his career did end with the Mets. It is just 4 years earlier than he would have liked it to have been.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

          In Afghanistan they play buzkashi which is a bunch of guys on horseback trying to throw a goat carcass into a goal.
          That "sport" was actually played in Rambo 3 with Sylvester Stallone- believe it or not. Of course in the movie Rambo become the leading goat goal scorer.

          The sport, like the movie was baaaaaaaad. Ok that was a terrible joke - I know but I couldnt help it.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

            Maybe Bartolo doesnt realize it but his career did end with the Mets. It is just 4 years earlier than he would have liked it to have been.
            The real reason he wants to come back is in bold below:

            but with the Mets, the way all those players treated me, how that entire franchise treated me, from the front office to the kitchen staff, it was amazing.

            Comment


            • Memorial Day weekend with no MLB baseball is just brutal.

              This weekend was always the first marking period of a season ...for me anyway. Enough games were played where you can start to gauge something.

              As a kid there were always Memorial Day doubleheaders. No I am hoping to catch the Korean League and watch pitchers that I am pretty sure I can hit.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
                Memorial Day weekend with no MLB baseball is just brutal.

                This weekend was always the first marking period of a season ...for me anyway. Enough games were played where you can start to gauge something.

                As a kid there were always Memorial Day doubleheaders. No I am hoping to catch the Korean League and watch pitchers that I am pretty sure I can hit.
                It least we're not talking about how the season is already over for the Mets. LOL!

                Comment


                • Interesting story on the Mets 1st "can't miss" prospect. https://nypost.com/2020/05/23/gregg-...different-now/ . What a history of dysfunction.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

                    It least we're not talking about how the season is already over for the Mets. LOL!
                    Well true but in 2019 at least we got to see it begin and end......it was all wrapped up by June but at least we got that much. In my case Mets or no Mets I love the baseball season right through November.

                    All I know is these two sides full of morons better figure out how to play in 2020.

                    Can you imagine Mike Trout saying that he doesnt want to go from the hotel to the field because "that would be pretty crazy". Oh Sorry Mike people were sick, died, lost their job, and cant pay their bills. They are counting on baseball too bring back normalcy in which you will make $15-20 million this season.

                    I apologize for your hardship. Maybe we can pass the hat to make it better for you so its less crazy.

                    I love Mike Trout but opening his mouth and have sewage spew out of it is not good auditory.



                    I will say again as I had said before --- If baseball thought the stand were empty after the 1994 strike, and they dont play in 2020 - those 1995 stands will look packed as compared to the 2021 stands.

                    Also again - I dont care what side is more right than the other. Getting it done is necessary. Figure it out.....both sides are going to lose or not make as much --either way nobody gives a rats ass.

                    If any of the players like Blake Snell who was complaining about his money and how it affects his free agency..............then later realizes what a douche he sounded like so comes out and takes about his safety..................dont be a phony.

                    Baseball (owners, players...whoever) has a chance to be heroic after all this garbage we all just lived through. They need to make that happen because when we are watching the NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, and the NFL go off without a hitch -- baseball will become the villain in a blink of an eye.
                    Last edited by Paulypal; 05-24-2020, 06:13 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

                      Well true but in 2019 at least we got to see it begin and end......it was all wrapped up by June but at least we got that much. In my case Mets or no Mets I love the baseball season right through November.

                      All I know is these two sides full of morons better figure out how to play in 2020.

                      Can you imagine Mike Trout saying that he doesnt want to go from the hotel to the field because "that would be pretty crazy". Oh Sorry Mike people were sick, died, lost their job, and cant pay their bills. They are counting on baseball too bring back normalcy in which you will make $15-20 million this season.

                      I apologize for your hardship. Maybe we can pass the hat to make it better for you so its less crazy.

                      I love Mike Trout but opening his mouth and have sewage spew out of it is not good auditory.



                      I will say again as I had said before --- If baseball thought the stand were empty after the 1994 strike, and they dont play in 2020 - those 1995 stands will look packed as compared to the 2021 stands.

                      Also again - I dont care what side is more right than the other. Getting it done is necessary. Figure it out.....both sides are going to lose or not make as much --either way nobody gives a rats ass.

                      If any of the players like Blake Snell who was complaining about his money and how it affects his free agency..............then later realizes what a douche he sounded like so comes out and takes about his safety..................dont be a phony.

                      Baseball (owners, players...whoever) has a chance to be heroic after all this garbage we all just lived through. They need to make that happen because when we are watching the NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, and the NFL go off without a hitch -- baseball will become the villain in a blink of an eye.
                      First, you make it sound like this thing is behind us. It's not. Far from it.

                      As well, stands will be relatively empty in 2021 regardless of whether they play this year or not. For every person who thinks this is an overstated problem and throws caution to the wind, there are 5 people who don't. Attendance will be severely hindered from here on and for the foreseeable future.

                      Lastly, while I still agree that both sides should work together to make this happen, you seem to be convinced it'll be the players' fault. Using Mike Trout as an example is a bit extreme. Now, granted, even the player earning minimum salary would still bring home about $225K for the proposed season, and that's a GREAT wage, especially for doing what one loves. But I implore you to consider what ownership earns per player by comparison. It's nowhere close.
                      Put it in the books.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by milladrive View Post

                        First, you make it sound like this thing is behind us. It's not. Far from it.

                        As well, stands will be relatively empty in 2021 regardless of whether they play this year or not. For every person who thinks this is an overstated problem and throws caution to the wind, there are 5 people who don't. Attendance will be severely hindered from here on and for the foreseeable future.

                        Lastly, while I still agree that both sides should work together to make this happen, you seem to be convinced it'll be the players' fault. Using Mike Trout as an example is a bit extreme. Now, granted, even the player earning minimum salary would still bring home about $225K for the proposed season, and that's a GREAT wage, especially for doing what one loves. But I implore you to consider what ownership earns per player by comparison. It's nowhere close.
                        I agree, a lot more can go wrong than can go right A vaccine is the only way that we will be able to be back to normal and who knows whats left when we get one. . No vaccine and it will be tough for most businesses to survive. Add in the expense of living in the metro area and people are either going to get the hell out or stay because things are being given to them. Watching baseball may be a return to normalcy for a very small % of the population but it will continue to be difficult for most to return to normal for a long time around here.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

                          I agree, a lot more can go wrong than can go right A vaccine is the only way that we will be able to be back to normal and who knows whats left when we get one. . No vaccine and it will be tough for most businesses to survive. Add in the expense of living in the metro area and people are either going to get the hell out or stay because things are being given to them. Watching baseball may be a return to normalcy for a very small % of the population but it will continue to be difficult for most to return to normal for a long time around here.
                          Yes, but I'd say that all holds true for every ballpark everywhere, not just NYC. People generally are not gonna wanna be crammed together at ballgames (or concerts, etc.) for a lonnng time. At least not until, as you mentioned, a vaccine is developed. That's when I think things'll finally return to some normalcy with regard to attendances. Until then, ownership needs to accept the current paradigm for what it is. Until then, gate revenue will not be what it was.
                          Put it in the books.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by milladrive View Post

                            Yes, but I'd say that all holds true for every ballpark everywhere, not just NYC. People generally are not gonna wanna be crammed together at ballgames (or concerts, etc.) for a lonnng time. At least not until, as you mentioned, a vaccine is developed. That's when I think things'll finally return to some normalcy with regard to attendances. Until then, ownership needs to accept the current paradigm for what it is. Until then, gate revenue will not be what it was.
                            I think NYC will suffer more because of financial reasons. Tourism will be crushed for the forseeable future. Think about that trickle down. Airports, cabs/ubers, restaurants, hotels, broadway plays, etc. These business will not survive. Their rent is ridiculous and they are taxed to their limits. There is less room for failure in NYC due to the expenses. Once that dries up people will leave and the 600 square foot apartment rented for $3000 a month will become vacant. Add it all up and who will be left to be willing to drop a couple of hundred dollars to go to a baseball game where they may get sick.
                            NYC will come back eventually but it will take years, not months. Most of us were around for 9/11. Anyone who was in the city on a daily basis will tell you it took a good five years for the congestion and commerce to come back to pre 9/11. In my opinion, this will affect the city more than 9/11. Hopefully I am wrong.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by milladrive View Post

                              First, you make it sound like this thing is behind us. It's not. Far from it.

                              As well, stands will be relatively empty in 2021 regardless of whether they play this year or not. For every person who thinks this is an overstated problem and throws caution to the wind, there are 5 people who don't. Attendance will be severely hindered from here on and for the foreseeable future.

                              Lastly, while I still agree that both sides should work together to make this happen, you seem to be convinced it'll be the players' fault. Using Mike Trout as an example is a bit extreme. Now, granted, even the player earning minimum salary would still bring home about $225K for the proposed season, and that's a GREAT wage, especially for doing what one loves. But I implore you to consider what ownership earns per player by comparison. It's nowhere close.
                              I wont follow up too much because in order to do so it will a very very non baseball debate - in which I will not get into.

                              I will just stick to if they dont play in 2020 because of finances it is a huge mis-calculation by baseball as a whole. I dont care much if its the players or owners in this instance. - I have heard enough garbage by both sides. Both sides will have an interesting set of opinions. Honestly none of which I care about. Getting the players on the field after this whole mess should be the main focus. The players want X, the owner have enough to lose in 2020...all terrific ....both sides needs to be smart enough to know that it is imperative that they get on the field for reasons we all know.
                              Last edited by Paulypal; 05-25-2020, 05:52 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post

                                I think NYC will suffer more because of financial reasons. Tourism will be crushed for the forseeable future. Think about that trickle down. Airports, cabs/ubers, restaurants, hotels, broadway plays, etc. These business will not survive. Their rent is ridiculous and they are taxed to their limits. There is less room for failure in NYC due to the expenses. Once that dries up people will leave and the 600 square foot apartment rented for $3000 a month will become vacant. Add it all up and who will be left to be willing to drop a couple of hundred dollars to go to a baseball game where they may get sick.
                                NYC will come back eventually but it will take years, not months. Most of us were around for 9/11. Anyone who was in the city on a daily basis will tell you it took a good five years for the congestion and commerce to come back to pre 9/11. In my opinion, this will affect the city more than 9/11. Hopefully I am wrong.
                                Yes, I agree that metro NYC will suffer more financially because it's been hit harder than the rest of the country. Between that and the high cost of existing, it'll take longer to recover.

                                The fact remains, the whole country (world) has been hit by it. The attendance at a MLB baseball game -- the topic at hand -- will suffer until a cure is discovered. And I'm venturing to say it'll suffer equally at every park, everywhere. People in other cities are no less shell-shock (and the cost of living in most cities is nothing to sneeze at), and seating at a ballpark will be different all around. The owners -- all the owners -- will have to get used to a very adjusted business model.
                                Put it in the books.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X