This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

I wont follow up too much because in order to do so it will a very very non baseball debate - in which I will not get into.

I will just stick to if they dont play in 2020 because of finances it is a huge mis-calculation by baseball as a whole. I dont care much if its the players or owners in this instance. - I have heard enough garbage by both sides.
    I must admit, this is true. I've not been liking much of what I've heard from the players.

Thing is, fwiw, the 30 owners tend to speak in concert, while I've yet to hear pushback from 30 (of about 800) players. And those few who do speak are usually talking about their health concerns.

....both sides needs to be smart enough to know that it is imperative that they get on the field for reasons we all know.
    Agreed.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

• Originally posted by milladrive View Post

I must admit, this is true. I've not been liking much of what I've heard from the players.

Thing is, fwiw, the 30 owners tend to speak in concert, while I've yet to hear pushback from 30 (of about 800) players. And those few who do speak are usually talking about their health concerns.

Agreed.
      Well I have heard a few players talking about money, and or their inconvenience. I am not saying that they are not concerned about their health but I believe that the union is hiding behind health fears as a bargaining tool. Using that they will have every leverage. Again I will not type what I think about that strategy as it will lead down a non baseball road.

The only player of note that I heard talk about playing full boat is Bryce Harper. Harper gave a schedule, a playoff schedule and start dates for both 2021 & 2022. Gotta tip my cap to a player that wants to play.

I am ALWAYS a players guy, but in this instance I really dont like the stance the players are taking. I realize the owners can afford to take a hit (I guess), and they will always try to suck every dime out of the players they can. I get it..but the players are not coming off too good right now.

My hope is that this is all posturing by both sides but knowing that they HAVE TO play. Then they can posture away.

From what I read this will be settled this week one way or the other. There is only one way this can go.
      Last edited by Paulypal; 05-25-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Mets, Reds and other teams are releasing minor leaguers today. “Literally a war zone out there,” one agent called it.
        https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...58355426164736
        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
          Mets, Reds and other teams are releasing minor leaguers today. “Literally a war zone out there,” one agent called it.
          https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...58355426164736
          I looked at the numbers. Downloaded every major league salary and applied the sliding scale that owners offered up.

Talking in broad terms -- the players get $4 billion in salary in total. When the scale is applied (along with the pro rated game rate) the total would be $1 Billion. The owners hiding behind that the lesser paid players get a higher % of their prorated salary. Which is true, but they are destroying the higher paid players.

This is a cheap shot by the owners. Both literally and figuratively.

Without the sliding scale and based upon the 82 game schedule...basically half a season.....so the pro rated salaries would be basically half...lets say $2 Billion.

Is someone going to try to tell us that the owners that have raked in record revenues cant pay half the salary?

Ok you want to be crazy fair. Pro Rated salaries minus 20% for no gate. Mike Trout is getting $37MM this year so he gets $14.8MM instead the $8MM that he would get by getting jobbed by the original offer. A player making the minimum of $563.5k would get $225,400. Now that $2 Billion is $1.6 Billion

Look - I just settled the dispute in a half an hour by myself. No Tony Clark, no player reps, Scott Boras, or Manfred.

Ok go practice now - see you in July.

Comment

• Former Mets second round draft pick Andrew Church, who was among those released today, offered some honest opinions on the state of the organization and player development system via Instagram.

It’s worth reading.

https://twitter.com/jacob_resnick/st...82834127089666

Comment

Former Mets second round draft pick Andrew Church, who was among those released today, offered some honest opinions on the state of the organization and player development system via Instagram.

It’s worth reading.

Sounds about right.

I was looking at some of MLB ownership's salary cut proposals, and recent disemboweling of the Minor Leagues, and release of Minor Leaguers, and was reminded of something. Isn't Fred Wilpon in charge of the Finance Committee and budgeting throughout MLB?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Former Mets second round draft pick Andrew Church, who was among those released today, offered some honest opinions on the state of the organization and player development system via Instagram.

It’s worth reading.

Eh,,,,A tad big self serving I would say. When someone calls themselves a "true warrior", and its "in my DNA" I dont think it is a good look/read.

Now we all know the Met organization sucks, and I am not surprised by some of things said in Resnick's post. Actually I am more surprised we dont hear that more often, but then again that could be a death blow in someone's career.

He alluded to Tim Tebow as the celebrity - which again we know is fact.

The Mets have proven again and again that under Jeff/Fred Wilpon they have no consideration for a players health. None. They are sub human individuals.

It is terrible what happened to Resnick but I am going to bet there is a list of players with a similar story in the Met organization under the reign of these two morons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Eh,,,,A tad big self serving I would say. When someone calls themselves a "true warrior", and its "in my DNA" I dont think it is a good look/read.

Now we all know the Met organization sucks, and I am not surprised by some of things said in Resnick's post. Actually I am more surprised we dont hear that more often, but then again that could be a death blow in someone's career.

He alluded to Tim Tebow as the celebrity - which again we know is fact.

The Mets have proven again and again that under Jeff/Fred Wilpon they have no consideration for a players health. None. They are sub human individuals.

It is terrible what happened to Resnick but I am going to bet there is a list of players with a similar story in the Met organization under the reign of these two morons.
                  Somebody made a good observation in one of the responses, that most of these guys are there so that the real prospects will have someone to play against. I'm inclined to think that the abuse is there across the board, varying by the people in charge and the culture.

Arguably, getting released could be the old blessing in disguise, if it gives someone time to get an education and go in another direction while still young enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

Somebody made a good observation in one of the responses, that most of these guys are there so that the real prospects will have someone to play against. I'm inclined to think that the abuse is there across the board, varying by the people in charge and the culture.

Arguably, getting released could be the old blessing in disguise, if it gives someone time to get an education and go in another direction while still young enough.
                    15% of minor leaguers make the majors, including players who play in one big league game. No harm in following your dreams while you’re young. Reality hits us all soon enough.

Comment

I get that for sure. I dont doubt that other organizations use their players as fodder, but being that the article was about someone in the Met org it fell right into the narrative that we have seen at the major league level.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

15% of minor leaguers make the majors, including players who play in one big league game. No harm in following your dreams while you’re young. Reality hits us all soon enough.
                        I dont disagree, but when you get that close it sometimes come down to an injury, opportunity or some other force of nature that keeps you from your dream. It may be easy to say "if" that happened or didnt happen I would have cashed a big league check.

Comment

It’s worth reading.

Sour grapes have always made for great journalism.

Comment

Anyone who takes off a Mets uniform automatically adds 100 points to one's average

Comment

• First step- players accept realignment. No AL or NL but three 10 team leagues. Assume DH.

Comment

• For the first time in more than two months, the Mets have opened the doors to their Spring Training complex in Port St. Lucie, Fla. The team's Clover Park facilities had been shuttered since late March before reopening Monday for players who live locally.

A team official estimated that four to six players have already begun training at the complex. All activities must take place while observing MLB, CDC, and local and state safety protocols.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-r...lex-in-florida

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X