Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shea Knight View Post
    A few positives today:

--Yet another sign Dave Peterson is a back-end #4/5 starter we desperately need, he's a keeper
    --Michael Conforto and (not playing today) Dominic Smith have really come into their own this year
    --Pete Alonso still has his power stroke, at least, hopefully in a full season the average will find its way back up
    --Andres Gimenez is powering my Rey Ordonez nostalgia; nowhere near that level (yet) but still a great glove, AND he can already hit far better than O-for-Four-Donez
    So 29 IP's and he is decidedly a keeper because he was sharp against Baltimore? He is what they have right now so yes he is a keeper - like it or not. Porcello and Wacha are keepers as of now too. The bigger problem is they have a 1 and 4 5's.

Agreed on Conforto - it was always there but he just couldnt add consistency to his game. If he can eliminate the 3-4 week slumps he can be a core player.

As far as Alonso goes - this was my fear - 2019 was awesome but I still wasnt sure what he was. I think he is much closer to a .230 hitter with 35-40 homer power than anything. Which isnt bad nowadays. Right now if you ask me who I rather have at 1st its Dom Smith with Alonso as the DH. Point is I am not sold on Alonso yet. One year does not make a career.

Gimenez has made Rosario expendable. He isnt Ordonez with the glove nor will he probably ever be, but he doesnt have to be.

Comment

• Remember 8 months ago when Lindor was on the table and Rosario (along with a few other pieces) was a viable chip to trade to the Indians (as false as the viability was).

Fast forward 8 months -- Amed has no value and you couldnt get a box of Lindor Chocolates.
      Last edited by Paulypal; 09-03-2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

A few positives today:

--Yet another sign Dave Peterson is a back-end #4/5 starter we desperately need, he's a keeper
        --Michael Conforto and (not playing today) Dominic Smith have really come into their own this year
        --Pete Alonso still has his power stroke, at least, hopefully in a full season the average will find its way back up
        --Andres Gimenez is powering my Rey Ordonez nostalgia; nowhere near that level (yet) but still a great glove, AND he can already hit far better than O-for-Four-Donez
        I’ve been away since Saturday to yesterday. Came home when they finally won a game. Didn’t see an inning of play. Thanks for the update. I guess it’s too soon to make any determination on Peterson or Gimenez but so far so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Gimenez has made Rosario expendable. He isnt Ordonez with the glove nor will he probably ever be, but he doesnt have to be.
          Rosario is going to go to some other team like the Astros or Dodgers and he's going to turn into something like Justin Turner and unlock some hidden skill set and become an all-star somehow. That's our luck.
          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

Rosario is going to go to some other team like the Astros or Dodgers and he's going to turn into something like Justin Turner and unlock some hidden skill set and become an all-star somehow. That's our luck.
            And he will still try to steal second 35 times and get caught 75% of the time, because he is one of the worst base runners in baseball.

Rosario has been playing MLB full time for 4 seasons. His OPS+ has been over 92 only one time, his defensive numbers for the 4th year in a row suck, and he has an arm that is too weak for SS/3B. I'm not sure what others are seeing that I am missing. Rosario sucks.

Comment

• An update on the Mets' Tom Seaver statue: It is expected to be unveiled early in 2021.
              https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/st...91255609155586

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

And he will still try to steal second 35 times and get caught 75% of the time, because he is one of the worst base runners in baseball.

Rosario has been playing MLB full time for 4 seasons. His OPS+ has been over 92 only one time, his defensive numbers for the 4th year in a row suck, and he has an arm that is too weak for SS/3B. I'm not sure what others are seeing that I am missing. Rosario sucks.
                He’s been in the big leagues for 2 seasons plus August and September 2017 and whatever you call this Covid season. 4 seasons is false.

When DiComo or Heyman or Sherman or Brodie say he’s on the trade bloc I’ll believe it. Not til then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post

If Rosario has a hidden skill he is hiding really well. We have a better chance of finding DB Cooper

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post

He has played in 4 seasons - 3 years (2 1/2 seasons worth of PA's) and from 21 through 24 besides a brief time in 2019 he has shown no growth at all. Now in his age 24 season he has shown massive regression.

Like you I dont see what anyone else saw in him. I never have. I wish he was as good as advertised. That would have made the Mets a better team, but its not the case. Gimenez is clearly a better SS - that takes about 3 seconds to see.

When he is on the field the Mets put themselves at a disadvantage.

Last Friday night was great when he homered off of Chapman to walk it off, but if you look at his 2020 season it really is historically bad. He no stolen bases and is suppose to be a speed guy.

Yet he is still considered (or until that got a glimpse of Gimenez) a core player for the Mets. Baffling.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post

He’s been in the big leagues for 2 seasons plus August and September 2017 and whatever you call this Covid season. 4 seasons is false.

When DiComo or Heyman or Sherman or Brodie say he’s on the trade bloc I’ll believe it. Not til then.
                      Well nobody on this board can trade him so like you I will wait to hear about from a source not named JJPM74, or Blue387..or any other member of the forum.

Although if a forum member could trade him - Lindor would be a Met.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paulypal View Post

Well nobody on this board can trade him so like you I will wait to hear about from a source not named JJPM74, or Blue387..or any other member of the forum.

Although if a forum member could trade him - Lindor would be a Met.
                        Why is a trade a solution? Trades are supposed to benefit both teams. You have said many times he sucks. Why would any team want him?

AND if any team did want him the return would be the player on the other team like Adalberto Mondesi. .272 career OBP, .663 OPS about the same age. In his sixth season. That's an equal trade for both teams. No thanks.

edit- 3 hits and 3 RBI tonight. Way too soon to give up on a 24 year old.
                        Last edited by LI METS FAN; 09-03-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Well, they're losing again.

You know, it has to be a good 4-5 years since I saw them as a "good team" and actually expected them to go out and win, or to hold a lead.

I suppose we should be thankful that normally, six weeks in, we'd be in the first half of May and looking at another four months and three weeks of another dead season, instead of just the three weeks.

Comment

• Pete Alonso makes a statement!

Comment

• A TERRIFIC ENDING FOR "TOM TERRIFIC!" Pete Alonso goes deep, ANOTHER walkoff HR, out-bombing the Bronx Bombers, and the Mets win a big one race-wise and emotions-wise!

The didn't pitch like Tom Seaver, but they won it for him today!
                              Last edited by Shea Knight; 09-03-2020, 06:59 PM.
                              "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

A TERRIFIC ENDING FOR "TOM TERRIFIC!" Pete Alonso goes deep, ANOTHER walkoff HR, out-bombing the Bronx Bombers, and the Mets win a big one race-wise and emotions-wise!

The didn't pitch like Tom Sevaer, but they won it for him today!
                                Bizarre base running in the game tonight on both sides.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X